[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick - After You/I'll Never Love This Way Again live [[1982)

I remember seeing this when it originally aired on Bravo. I didn't have a vcr at the time so I taped everything on audio cassette. The ending on I'LL NEVER LOVE THIS WAY AGAIN is Dionne at her very best.

Thanks for sharing this. I had never seen it before. That entire album is an absolute classic and I have it on all four formats...vinyl, 8 track, cassette, and CD. Not to mention having another 8-10 copies of some of the songs on various compilations.

But would you believe that I do not consider the two biggest hits [[I'll Never Love This Way Again and Deja Vu) to even be the best songs on the album? When I listen to that album, I am blown away every time by first the incredible lyrics and then by the orchestration and of course the vocals on After You, Feeling Old Feelings, My Everlasting Love, and All the Time. Sometimes I consider one my favorite song...another time it might be another one. They each have their moments.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Dionne was at her absolute vocal peak during this time. This performance is one of the reasons why she is quite rightly regarded as one of the all time great female vocalists.

^ That's precisely WHY I posted it. These days, people only know her as the cousin of Whitney but Dionne really predated everyone as one of the first global black pop stars during the early 1960s. And the big reason why: that unmistakable powerful voice of hers.

I attended Dionne's Carnegie Hall performance to promote the lp; if I recall it had actually not yet been released but the single was a hit. Dionne performed several songs from the lp to great appreciation, and she herself was so taken by Barry's All The Time that she sang it twice.

In my moments when I consider All the Time the best song on that album [[as I said it varies from one song to another), it is because of that final verse and the emphasis she puts on the word "had." Sheer vocal magic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ That's precisely WHY I posted it. These days, people only know her as the cousin of Whitney but Dionne really predated everyone as one of the first global black pop stars during the early 1960s. And the big reason why: that unmistakable powerful voice of hers.
    That is not true at all! Dionne Warwick was massively well known before anyone had heard of Whitney Houston [[ who's first nationally hit was in 1985). Heck, millions knew her from "Psychic Friends" network alone. Most Baby Boomers that have ever listened to the radio knows who Dionne Warwick is right now minus anything to do with Whitney!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-29-2019 at 02:24 AM.

such a beautiful voice and phrasing. It seems she enjoyed her gift too. It's to bad the damage that she has done to the voice. The same with Aretha. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    such a beautiful voice and phrasing. It seems she enjoyed her gift too. It's to bad the damage that she has done to the voice. The same with Aretha. What a waste.
    Dionne, Aretha and Whitney were the greatest pure voices in the world but neither of them could put down the cigarette [[though in Whitney's case, she was also overworked to death). :/