[REMOVE ADS]

Chicago disco-major lance..motown shoulda pushed it

I know that by the time he got to the[soul]label his heyday had passed,but i think that someone at motown should've gave this gem a chance and maybe both motown and the major would've had a hit..any thoughts?

I really liked his voice.

Um um um um um um um ....

I believe I've once read, that by the time his Motown material came, he was arrested.

Otherwise, on the late seventies, Motown had a lot of big names they signed on, only to neglect while further pushing, I'll just say, only the three or four big names, and by that point, not even Marvin Gaye was one of them. Motown had Jerry Butler. Motown had Fifth Dimension. Motown had Stephanie Mills. Motown had Lenny Williams. Just as a few years before, Motown had Billy Eckstine, Chuck Jackson, Marv Johnson, Dihann Carroll, and Sammy Davis Jr., and a decade later, Wilson Pickett.

In other words, I don't know. Maybe Major Lance would have still gotten lost in the shuffle either way.

But anyhow, one of my favorites, post early sixties hits period, and into the later part of the decade, when he was still high into his grooves, "Follow the Leader".

Last edited by Ngroove; 11-28-2019 at 01:49 AM.

Just listened to this one, nice track. I especially like "Love Pains" from the same album, Now Arriving [[1978)

This is the only single released while Major was with Motown that I am aware. From 1978, "I Never Thought I'd Be Losing You"

Major Lance's daughter, Keisha Lance Bottoms is the Mayor of Atlanta, GA.

Here is a great album cut from his "Now Arriving" Lp for Motown called "Love Pains"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is the only single released while Major was with Motown that I am aware. From 1978, "I Never Thought I'd Be Losing You"

Nice track! I believe that was the last ever single released on Motown's Soul label.

This is really nice! Now, if I had a choice between buying a sandwich and this 45? I'd probably go with the 45! [[I could stand to lose a few pounds anyway)

Here is a great album cut from his "Now Arriving" Lp for Motown called "Love Pains"

Wow, another good one. I just may have to get my hands on a copy of this LP. The structure/vocal melody of the verses reminds of me Marvin Gaye's unreleased "It's A Desperate Situation"

Quote Originally Posted by waitingwatchinglookingforachance View Post
    this is really nice! Now, if i had a choice between buying a sandwich and this 45? I'd probably go with the 45! [[i could stand to lose a few pounds anyway)
    especially if the sandwich comes from-greasy grady's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I know that by the time he got to the[soul]label his heyday had passed,but i think that someone at motown should've gave this gem a chance and maybe both motown and the major would've had a hit..any thoughts?
    well since you asked........

My disco ears hear nothing innovative in this attempt musically or lyrically, too dated for disco 1978, ...making it basically a walk in the park. Not driving enough to be an actual club hit , and too regional to be nationally receptive by a national audience . Who when partying in NYC , LA , SF , Miami, main disco hubs, cares about some guy dancing at a club in Chicago , especially as Chicago was not exactly renowned as a disco hotbed. Additionally going on and on about all the fine ladies in the house makes it dead in the water in the gay clubs which in general steered a song's success on the disco charts.

Was it even a hit in Chicago?? That market should have been the place from which it may have had a chance to be launched . But if it didn't make there .......???

Sorry , but you asked !!