[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Band Of Gold

Band Of Gold

I once heard that the single version of this song is an edit of a longer version. Does anyone know if this is correct and if it is where I can hear the longer version on the internet please?

Thanks.

The only alternate version released, to my knowledge, is below.

Our member, the late great Bob Babbitt, played on that song

edafan

The song was the first that HDH would record at Tera Shirma. I was in the control room when the track was being recorded and it was smokin'! Everyone in the control room was into it with the promise of a very special track. The problem was when the song ended there was a very audible 60 cycle hum on the tape. DAMN! New console bugs. So the track you hear on the record was the second take sans 60 cycle hum.

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Our member, the late great Bob Babbitt, played on that song

edafan
    So did our fellow member Dennis Coffey.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    The song was the first that HDH would record at Tera Shirma. I was in the control room when the track was being recorded and it was smokin'! Everyone in the control room was into it with the promise of a very special track. The problem was when the song ended there was a very audible 60 cycle hum on the tape. DAMN! New console bugs. So the track you hear on the record was the second take sans 60 cycle hum.
    Ralph! Wow! You were there when they were recording it? The second and released take was smokin'. Do you know if they kept the first take or just recorded over it?

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Wow: Just to think that I met Bob Babbitt & the Funk brothers a couple of times when they toured. And when I listen to that track I can picture Babbitt playing that great bass line
    edafan

Marv, the first take was probably erased

Is it me, or when I see or listen to some videos of Freda singing Band Of Gold, it sounds like someone other than Bob Babbitt on bass, or have they just lowered the bass volume so much to not outdo the vocal?

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ralph! Wow! You were there when they were recording it? The second and released take was smokin'. Do you know if they kept the first take or just recorded over it?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  21.1 KB
    Why are you surprised??? It was Ralphs and Russ' OWN studio, after all!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 536
    Why are you surprised??? It was Ralphs and Russ' OWN studio, after all!
    Yeah but......I would not think they were present for every recording session. This is historic that they were the day a bona fide classic was recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah but......I would not think they were present for every recording session. This is historic that they were the day a bona fide classic was recorded.
Views: 531
    No. They probably couldn't have been at EVERY session. But, if I owned and ran a recording studio, I'd make sure to be there when important sessions by important and prestigious clients like HDH were my customers - especially if several of the people involved were friends and ex-colleagues of mine.

That particular session was in the evening. I was there to see that things went well for HDH. Imagine how I felt when the hum was first heard on the playback. But HDH, pros as they are, took it in stride, Milan Bogdan found and corrected the problem and things went forward

A great memory here. Sounding as good as anything that came out of Motown's studio A or any other recording studio in America at the time!

The longer version sounds like a different take to me. Possibly from the same recording session but definitely from the same studio since the musicians, backing singers and overall "sound" all seem to be the same.

The arrangement and vocal tracks are clearly different, however.

Ralph, do you have any recollections regarding the genesis of the two separate versions?

Had HDH already worked out that they needed to release the shorter and punchier version before the sessions that you describe?

Soto, I have no idea.

No worries. That makes two of us.

The released version is one of my all-time favorite records, yet the longer version has a lot going for it. It's interesting that the short version leaves it open as to whether the problem was the guy's impotence or the girl's frigidity; the long version answers that.