[REMOVE ADS]

the morbid "Somethings You Never Get Used To"

heard it plenty of times but never really 'listened'..'my love is dead!" ..is that what the back up singers say early on? she's singing to a dead person? REALLY?? no wonder it wasn't a real hit..lol who thought that was a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    heard it plenty of times but never really 'listened'..'my love is dead!" ..is that what the back up singers say early on? she's singing to a dead person? REALLY?? no wonder it wasn't a real hit..lol who thought that was a good idea?
    Ashford and Simpson are singing the background. Val could answer that.

It’s a dark song to be sure...if that’s what they’re singing, it’s even darker than I thought!

According to the lyrics, the word "dead" does not appear in the song:

Some Things You Never Get Used To
    The Supremes

Some things you never get used to

It's the same routine of getting up every morning
    And putting on a smile
    But underneath there's another person
    Who can't find a reason to make living worthwhile

Ah, another day to get through
    Without the love that once was mine
    Sometimes I think my heartaches come to an end
    And then something brings them all back again
    Like wanting you and not having you
    I'll never get used to

I've gotten used to not listing
    For familiar sounds you used to make
    Now I'm trying to get out of the habit
    Of calling your name first thing when I awake
    Look here

It's like a child's first step
    I have to learn to walk all, all over again
    'Cause you were always there if I should fall
    And now there's nobody else that I can call
    It's like wanting you and not having you
    I'll never get used to

Lost in a cloud
    I think I caught a glimpse of you
    Blindly I rush to touch your hand, huh
    To discover it's my mind
    Playing tricks on me again
    Tricks on me again

Some things you never get used to
    Sometimes I think my heartaches come to an end
    And then something brings them all back again
    Like wanting you and like having you
    I'll never get used to
    It's wanting you and not having you
    I'll never get used to
    Look here
    Like wanting you and not having you
    I'll never get used to
    Songwriters: NICKOLAS ASHFORD, VALERIE SIMPSON
    © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
    For non-commercial use only.
    Data from: LyricFind

I don't hate STYNGUT...I think perhaps if the arrangement was a bit slower it may have been a better record....It just chug a chug a races along at a fast tempo. I cant even imagine what the Sups "standard" speeded up live version would sound like.
    I don't hate the Composer either....not a good choice for a single, but DR gives a nice dreamy lead. I think the music's fine, its the cheerleader segment in the BG that ruins this one. it would have been best placed as the last song on side 1 of a LP [[Like Bah Bah on Reflections..."Ok,..it's a bit different, but there's still more to come..")

“Lost in a cloud?” I thought that it was “Lost in a crowd.” [[In a cloud you’re more likely to catch a glimpse of a fast approaching Jumbo Jet.)

I think that what you’re hearing as “My love is dead.” is actually the backing vocals echoing “Another day.”

After this I think that they sing “Ooh a hurting day.”

I think there are errors in that if that is one of those Google searches for song lyrics. It is “listening” not “listing.” I have ALWAYS heard it as “lost in a CROWD, I think I caught a glimpse of you..” that makes sense; cloud doesn’t. Beware of pulling this sh*t off the net.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I cant even imagine what the Sups "standard" speeded up live version would sound like.
    They were obliged to perform it when I saw them in August of 1968 since it was their current release. They used the same tempo as was used on the single because goodness knows it couldn't have been sped-up any more. It was god-awful, didn't get much applause, and I can't imagine they kept it in the act for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    “Lost in a cloud?” I thought that it was “Lost in a crowd.” [[In a cloud you’re more likely to catch a glimpse of a fast approaching Jumbo Jet.)

I think that what you’re hearing as “My love is dead.” is actually the backing vocals echoing “Another day.”

After this I think that they sing “Ooh a hurting day.”
    I agree with your references to the lyrics being "lost in a crowd" and "another day." It shows our uniqueness in how we each hear and discern lyrics, and there have been numerous threads and comments about misheard lyrics. One of my favorites was the Supremes version of "Lover's Concerto" where I heard the line "see, there beyond the hill" as being "see Berry on the hill." The list goes on.

I've always loved "Some Things...." because it was very fresh and energetic sounding. Musically, it's quite a complex song with its chord structure. The instruments are so, so driving, and this song has one of the 'snazziest' instrumental breaks of any of the Motown productions. KUDUs to Ashford and Simpson although who were making a name for themselves at Motown. I would have thought, however, that in hindsight, they might have considered this somewhat too innovative and ahead of its time to have ever been released just as many of HDH last productions were excellent, but fell in the same category of 'the public ain't quite ready for this' [["Forever Came Today", the Four Tops' "You Keep Running Away" and "I'm in a Different World."
    Last edited by jobucats; 11-23-2019 at 01:29 PM.

That song was too complex for a group whose signature hit asked "where did our love go".

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That song was too complex for a group whose signature hit asked "where did our love go".
    Makes sense in some ways.

However, was it really too complex for The Supremes or just for single buyers in 1968? It’s a long way from “Yummy Yummy” and “Sugar, Sugar”.

For a start, the title has seven words. That’s a lot of words for a single title.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 11-24-2019 at 03:55 PM.

the subject matter is dark, there's no classic Supremes style sing a long chorus, no 'hooks' to speak of.. great album track.. bad choice for a single

This illustrates the problem music groups like The Supremes had to deal with. If you're in the "Superstar" catagory, there is a sort of expectation to constantly progress forward, come up with "THE NEW, NOW SOUND!" How do you dole that new sound out so that you keep things fresh and yet don't lose your signature sound? That's why every group hits that wall where the new stuff doesn't sell because it doesn't sound like the old stuff. BUT if you keep doing the old stuff, everyone complains that all your stuff sounds like the old stuff. I've always felt The Marvelettes and to some extent, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas escaped that thing of having to constantly top the last hit. Motown didn't have the same expectations for these and other groups, so they were more free to just concentrate on recording good music period. The Supremes really had a burden to constantly top and innovate. At that pace, I can see why they'd try stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I don't hate STYNGUT...I think perhaps if the arrangement was a bit slower it may have been a better record....It just chug a chug a races along at a fast tempo. I cant even imagine what the Sups "standard" speeded up live version would sound like.
    I don't hate the Composer either....not a good choice for a single, but DR gives a nice dreamy lead. I think the music's fine, its the cheerleader segment in the BG that ruins this one. it would have been best placed as the last song on side 1 of a LP [[Like Bah Bah on Reflections..."Ok,..it's a bit different, but there's still more to come..")
    I pretty much agree with this, except I LOVE both "Some Things" and "Composer"...but as album tracks, not singles. The band wasn't playing no games on "Some Things" and Diana was tearing that lead up, so it's not hard to see why this song would've gotten a "yay" vote at the QC meeting. But it's missing that certain something that I think would've made it a hit, thus it works better as album filler.

"The Composer" has a beautiful lead by Diana, and I love the melody of the track. But there is no way this song was going to compete with the best of the best on the radio at the time. The fact that the song chugged into the pop top 30 and missed the r&b top 20 by a hair I have to believe was on the strength of the name Diana Ross and the Supremes, which guaranteed a record automatic spins and sales.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I don't hear "Some Things" as any more complex than "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone" or "Reflections".

I think it's an excellent track..one of DRATS best.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I think it's an excellent track..one of DRATS best.
    I think its a great track too. But again I liked all of their '68 and '69 singles, even No Matter What Sign You Are. Sure they're not classic HDH songs, but DR's vocals are top notch. Regarding STYNGUT, I've always head it as a song about a girl who has broken up with her boyfriend, and never thought of it as dark but rather sad. But during the Vietnam War could the song have been about a girl losing her boyfriend killed in Vietnam?

Morbid? hardly. This is a great pop song. Much better than The Composer by miles. I always liked this one but everyone is different.

I think it’s a good song, even a very good song, but not a great song. It does have an unusual structure and seems like it would be really hard to sing. I think Diane does a good performance on it and I think it’s a song that you have to listen to a few times to really understand fully.

Just my opinion but I think a lot of those lyrics are generated by sound recognition software apps and that’s why they often have words that are wrong. The words are definitely “lost in the crowd” because it makes sense that in such a crowd you would catch a glimpse of someone for a moment before losing sight of them again.

Not a fav of mine but....good album cut...not a single...plenty of other tracks that would have been better .
    Good Ross vocal tho

so I guess she's not singing to a dead person but this was not 'singles' material.. agreed as a great album cut but not the most sing a long Top 40 song