[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    I Don't Love You Anymore - Freda Payne

    Anyone else know or like this one?


  2. #2
    (sorry not strictly Motown )

  3. #3
    We shall give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes she is not strictly Motown per sae, however, her very first recording she ever made Save Me a Star from May of 1958 produced an acetate which exists in the Motown Vaults. I wish that someday, someway this recording could be released, but I am not optimistic.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    We shall give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes she is not strictly Motown per sae, however, her very first recording she ever made Save Me a Star from May of 1958 produced an acetate which exists in the Motown Vaults. I wish that someday, someway this recording could be released, but I am not optimistic.
    I've been wondering if Freda's Motown recordings have ever made the rounds. Seems like it would've been a good selection for one of the Motown Unreleased volumes.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Anyone else know or like this one?

    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sounds like a New York - style recording. Is this from the late '70s?

  6. #6
    It is from 1966.

  7. #7
    The early portion of this one reminds me of a slowed down Lone, Lonely Town.

  8. #8
    IMHO, "HDYSIDLYA" is just an average song partially redeemed by Freda Payne's vocal work (and some Motown Sound influences in the music). Never heard it before so thanks for sharing TomatoTom.

  9. #9
    I understand that Freda was offered a contract with Motown but her mother wouldn't let her sign. She reckons there are 3 recordings in the vaults - songs written by Berry Gordy.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Anyone else know or like this one?

    I've had that album for years. I liked the song.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sounds like a New York - style recording. Is this from the late '70s?
    Robb, this is from 1962 or '64. I have the album but have not seen it in years.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Notes

    Original MGM recordings
    CD release conceived and produced by Dave Timperley and Mick Patrick
    Mastered by Nick Robbins @ Sound Mastering Ltd

    First released in The US as a Vinyl LP in 1966 on MGM E4370

    8 page booklet with notes by Mick Patrick

    Images


  14. #14
    yeah ok. I have it and also her 1964 album "After the Lights Go Down Low and Much More!!"

  15. #15
    I like the track...its got kinda a Petula Clark sound to it...I remember seeing the LP in the cut out bins in '68...MGM phased out their Mono stock...I got 12 Connie Francis LPS in one day...for 0.88 ea. at JC Penneys!
    Freda's MGM LP was reissued just titled Freda Payne in 1970 on MGM's GAS series. (Golden Archive Series) those GAS LPs were only available for a short time and some of them are quite collectable. (Velvet Underground, Janis Ian) I think in '70 MGM records was taken over by Mike Curb...he concentrated on the Osmonds and other family acts. Almost all of the non current pop titles on the label that had been in print and good selling catalogue items from the 60's were immediately ceased.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I like the track...its got kinda a Petula Clark sound to it...I remember seeing the LP in the cut out bins in '68...MGM phased out their Mono stock...I got 12 Connie Francis LPS in one day...for 0.88 ea. at JC Penneys!
    Freda's MGM LP was reissued just titled Freda Payne in 1970 on MGM's GAS series. (Golden Archive Series) those GAS LPs were only available for a short time and some of them are quite collectable. (Velvet Underground, Janis Ian) I think in '70 MGM records was taken over by Mike Curb...he concentrated on the Osmonds and other family acts. Almost all of the non current pop titles on the label that had been in print and good selling catalogue items from the 60's were immediately ceased.
    Ah, those were the days, gman -- going home from the close-out bin with a ton of new, Still Sealed Connie Francis LPs for next-to nothing! Nothing could have made me happier!

  17. #17
    I didnít know about a Motown connection with Freda actually! Interesting. Thanks guys

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    IMHO, "HDYSIDLYA" is just an average song partially redeemed by Freda Payne's vocal work (and some Motown Sound influences in the music). Never heard it before so thanks for sharing TomatoTom.
    Thanks Eddie. I can hear a bit of Motown in it now as well. I listened to Lou Rawls' version of the song, and its not as good as Freda's, I have to say.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.