[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 64
  1. #1

    Diana Ross- comparison- The Three Degrees

    Sheila Diana Ferguson, lead singer of The Three Degrees. Imagine her replacing Diana, instead of Jean? Sheila and Diana both have similar vocal tones. I thought the lead vocal in "When Will I See You Again" was Diana Ross. Love this song.

    29 Million Viewer Hits on You Tube 11-20-19
    Last edited by TNSUN; 11-20-2019 at 07:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Hmm. I LOVE Ferguson, and she MAY have been a good lead, but it's my opinion that Ferguson has more of a 'bad b*tch' sound vs Diana and Jean's ladylike style. Having been a pre-WWISYA 3D fan I was ecstatic with the song (and the killer lp) but never mistook the singers as anyone other than the 3ds!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Sheila Diana Ferguson, lead singer of The Three Degrees. Imagine her replacing Diana, instead of Jean? Sheila and Diana both have similar vocal tones. I thought the lead vocal in "When Will I See You Again" was Diana Ross. Love this song.

    29 Million Viewer Hits on You Tube 11-20-19
    The Philly sound would have been perfect for both Diana and Jean, but i love the Three Degrees and am delighted they found the success they richly deserved.
    This song is one of the all time great tunes of the 70's. Shame on the USA for all but deserting the ladies after this wonderful single/album.

  4. #4
    [QUOTE=TNSUN;550767]Sheila Diana Ferguson, lead singer of The Three Degrees. Imagine her replacing Diana, instead of Jean? Sheila and Diana both have similar vocal tones. I thought the lead vocal in "When Will I See You Again" was Diana Ross. Love this song.

    Interesting question TNSUN. I think Sheila might well have been an exciting lead singer for the 70's Supremes. Her voice is more rounded than Jeans and she oozes sex appeal. Taking that into consideration, it might have extended the groups appeal and shelf life. .
    As regards Diana, i don't hear any similarities in their voices other then their both female.

  5. #5
    It's funny, when I first heard "When Will I See You Again" on the radio in the Fall of 1974, I thought it was Jean Terrell at first. Same thing with Polly Brown.

  6. #6
    Sheila would've made an excellent replacement for Ross. She definitely had all the right qualifications to step into such huge shoes. But judging from the Three Degrees success in the states in the 70s, I don't see her being able to take the group any further than Jean did. As a Supreme she still would've run into the same stumbling blocks Jean ran into, with the possible exception that she might- and this is my opinion without knowing much about Sheila's personality- have been easier to work with from a Motown exec standpoint and then may have kept Gordy interested enough to be somewhat hands on.

    But Jean was the lead singer of the most successful- single for single- female group of the 1970s. It's hard to beat that or suggest that anyone else would've done a better job.

  7. #7
    Of the female groups of the 70s, the Supremes are tops for me, but the 3Ds nip at their heels. It's a shame that the group wasn't bigger. When I watch their performances from that time, IMO they were a much more exciting group to watch than the Supremes. Perhaps the most exciting group without going over the top the way Labelle did or "gimmicky" the way the Pointers did. And their blend as a group...might be untouchable. I think I have all of their 70s albums and one from the 80s. They were such a terrific group.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sheila would've made an excellent replacement for Ross. She definitely had all the right qualifications to step into such huge shoes. But judging from the Three Degrees success in the states in the 70s, I don't see her being able to take the group any further than Jean did. As a Supreme she still would've run into the same stumbling blocks Jean ran into, with the possible exception that she might- and this is my opinion without knowing much about Sheila's personality- have been easier to work with from a Motown exec standpoint and then may have kept Gordy interested enough to be somewhat hands on.

    But Jean was the lead singer of the most successful- single for single- female group of the 1970s. It's hard to beat that or suggest that anyone else would've done a better job.
    Research what they did to Fayette Pinkney of the Three Degrees and you have the Florence Ballard story almost all over again!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Of the female groups of the 70s, the Supremes are tops for me, but the 3Ds nip at their heels. It's a shame that the group wasn't bigger. When I watch their performances from that time, IMO they were a much more exciting group to watch than the Supremes. Perhaps the most exciting group without going over the top the way Labelle did or "gimmicky" the way the Pointers did. And their blend as a group...might be untouchable. I think I have all of their 70s albums and one from the 80s. They were such a terrific group.
    The Supremes had 8 Top 40 hits in the 70s, far more than any other female group in that decade.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Supremes had 8 Top 40 hits in the 70s, far more than any other female group in that decade.
    Obviously you are referring to the USA. The Three Degrees rivalled The Supremes in Europe, and their success continued into the 80's. It was only America that refused to listen.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Research what they did to Fayette Pinkney of the Three Degrees and you have the Florence Ballard story almost all over again!
    Here we go again.......

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Here we go again.......
    Zzzzzzzzz.... hehehe

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Zzzzzzzzz.... hehehe
    This was a nice pleasant thread until you know who attempted to turn it into yet another slug fest.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Obviously you are referring to the USA. The Three Degrees rivalled The Supremes in Europe, and their success continued into the 80's. It was only America that refused to listen.
    Yes I was referring to the largest and most lucrative market for recorded music in the World.

  15. #15
    The Three Degrees had something the Supremes didn't have (or most other all female groups save for Labelle and the Emotions): a number one pop hit.

    When Will I See You Again would've worked but the Philly sound dominated popular music so much in the '70s after 1971 that it would've been impossible for the Supremes to be given such a song.

    Motown and PIR were never gonna coexist in 1973 lol

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Obviously you are referring to the USA. The Three Degrees rivalled The Supremes in Europe, and their success continued into the 80's. It was only America that refused to listen.
    Which strikes me as ODD. The music industry REALLY failed its female artists, didn't it? What Americans didn't get, the Europeans (especially the Brits) TOTALLY got.

    Well they technically did have two more U.S. hits with MFSB so... 😋

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The Three Degrees had something the Supremes didn't have (or most other all female groups save for Labelle and the Emotions): a number one pop hit.

    When Will I See You Again would've worked but the Philly sound dominated popular music so much in the '70s after 1971 that it would've been impossible for the Supremes to be given such a song.

    Motown and PIR were never gonna coexist in 1973 lol
    They also had the full support of their record label. They were not even in the same league as the Supremes. The Supremes could get national television appearances without even having a current release (The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour - 1974 for example). NONE of those female acts were as successful as the Supremes........period!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Which strikes me as ODD. The music industry REALLY failed its female artists, didn't it? What Americans didn't get, the Europeans (especially the Brits) TOTALLY got.

    Well they technically did have two more U.S. hits with MFSB so... ��
    Don't even try it! You would have to had to tell people that the female voices on that record were those of the Three Degrees. They were basically used as session singers on that MFSB recording that became the theme for Soul Train in 1974.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Of the female groups of the 70s, the Supremes are tops for me, but the 3Ds nip at their heels. It's a shame that the group wasn't bigger. When I watch their performances from that time, IMO they were a much more exciting group to watch than the Supremes. Perhaps the most exciting group without going over the top the way Labelle did or "gimmicky" the way the Pointers did. And their blend as a group...might be untouchable. I think I have all of their 70s albums and one from the 80s. They were such a terrific group.
    What you think of First Choice?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The Three Degrees had something the Supremes didn't have (or most other all female groups save for Labelle and the Emotions): a number one pop hit.

    When Will I See You Again would've worked but the Philly sound dominated popular music so much in the '70s after 1971 that it would've been impossible for the Supremes to be given such a song.

    Motown and PIR were never gonna coexist in 1973 lol
    Actually, the 3Ds never had a #1 pop hit either on Billboard. "When Will I See You" stalled at #2. (Although it did go #1 on Cashbox.) Outside of that song and "TSOP" general radio seems to have passed over most 3D singles, which is mind boggling to me because the 3Ds cut some A+ jams. I remember getting a 3D compilation in the 90s and figuring surely most of those songs were big hits only to realize (I think the chart positions were listed in the liner notes) that all but two (the two I mentioned) made any real impact on the public. So PIR definitely had the 70s the way Motown had the 60s, but when it came to released hits in the 70s, Motown still managed to score with the Supremes more often than most other labels did with their female groups.

    I'm also a HUGE Love Unlimited fan and was surprised to find that all of their fire cuts were pretty much ignored by the public, with the exception of "Walking In the Rain".

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They also had the full support of their record label. They were not even in the same league as the Supremes. The Supremes could get national television appearances without even having a current release (The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour - 1974 for example). NONE of those female acts were as successful as the Supremes........period!
    Talent wise, the 3D's were most certainly in the Supremes' league, not to mention all three were sexy as hell (like the Supremes), all three were capable lead singers (which JMC were not), and they were DYNAMIC stage performers, which IMO the 70s Supremes were not, except maybe when Lynda came on board, and obviously that was kinda brief.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    What you think of First Choice?
    Great vocally. I have a couple of their albums. I think I've only seen one live performance and they lip synced that, so I wasn't visually impressed. But I LOVE the lead singer's voice. She's underrated.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Talent wise, the 3D's were most certainly in the Supremes' league, not to mention all three were sexy as hell (like the Supremes), all three were capable lead singers (which JMC were not), and they were DYNAMIC stage performers, which IMO the 70s Supremes were not, except maybe when Lynda came on board, and obviously that was kinda brief.
    Aside from the 3Ds great singing talent, I must confess that no matter how many times I've seen it, whenever their episode of SANFORD AND SON airs, I make a point to watch it.

  24. #24
    Sheila starred in a British doco series fairly recently - 'The Real Marigold Hotel/On Tour' -where a bunch of aging personalities look at retirement options in other countries. She sang 'When Will I See You' live (an off-the-cuff performance) in one of the Russian episodes and still sounded pretty good. Seemed like a fun person.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Great vocally. I have a couple of their albums. I think I've only seen one live performance and they lip synced that, so I wasn't visually impressed. But I LOVE the lead singer's voice. She's underrated.
    Yeah I love the lead singer. Most of their songs are permanent a$$ shakes lol

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Actually, the 3Ds never had a #1 pop hit either on Billboard. "When Will I See You" stalled at #2. (Although it did go #1 on Cashbox.) Outside of that song and "TSOP" general radio seems to have passed over most 3D singles, which is mind boggling to me because the 3Ds cut some A+ jams. I remember getting a 3D compilation in the 90s and figuring surely most of those songs were big hits only to realize (I think the chart positions were listed in the liner notes) that all but two (the two I mentioned) made any real impact on the public. So PIR definitely had the 70s the way Motown had the 60s, but when it came to released hits in the 70s, Motown still managed to score with the Supremes more often than most other labels did with their female groups.

    I'm also a HUGE Love Unlimited fan and was surprised to find that all of their fire cuts were pretty much ignored by the public, with the exception of "Walking In the Rain".
    That's true. Motown still ruled in the 70s.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes I was referring to the largest and most lucrative market for recorded music in the World.
    NEWSFLASH. You can have a successful and financially lucrative career without being a superstar in the USA. A British singer by the name of Robbie Williams is barely known in the States yet he has enjoyed massive success around the world, and is one of the wealthiest singers in the world. The USA may be the biggest market, but it is not the be all and end all of the music market.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They also had the full support of their record label. They were not even in the same league as the Supremes. The Supremes could get national television appearances without even having a current release (The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour - 1974 for example). NONE of those female acts were as successful as the Supremes........period!
    Of course they were in the same league as The Supremes. All three ladies could sing very well, and they got prime tv show bookings all around the world with the exception of the good ol' USA. They were a staple on tv in the UK and Europe. No-one here is having a dig at The Supremes. We are merely pointing out that The Three Degrees carved out a good living for themselves which continues to this very day. I saw them in concert just over one week ago and caught up with Val and the girls. They still put on one hell of a show. Credit where credit is due.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    NEWSFLASH. You can have a successful and financially lucrative career without being a superstar in the USA. A British singer by the name of Robbie Williams is barely known in the States yet he has enjoyed massive success around the world, and is one of the wealthiest singers in the world. The USA may be the biggest market, but it is not the be all and end all of the music market.
    How true. Though Williams may have more of a following in the USA than we think as I recently read he has been scheduled for a residency in Vegas.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Of course they were in the same league as The Supremes. All three ladies could sing very well, and they got prime tv show bookings all around the world with the exception of the good ol' USA. They were a staple on tv in the UK and Europe. No-one here is having a dig at The Supremes. We are merely pointing out that The Three Degrees carved out a good living for themselves which continues to this very day. I saw them in concert just over one week ago and caught up with Val and the girls. They still put on one hell of a show. Credit where credit is due.
    The only similarity between the groups is 3 talented Black American women singers. Love both groups, I do!

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Of course they were in the same league as The Supremes. All three ladies could sing very well, and they got prime tv show bookings all around the world with the exception of the good ol' USA. They were a staple on tv in the UK and Europe. No-one here is having a dig at The Supremes. We are merely pointing out that The Three Degrees carved out a good living for themselves which continues to this very day. I saw them in concert just over one week ago and caught up with Val and the girls. They still put on one hell of a show. Credit where credit is due.
    Every thread, there's always SOME defense. I don't get it.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Every thread, there's always SOME defense. I don't get it.
    Exactly. I think we all love The Supremes on here but that doesn't mean we cannot appreciate the talent and craft of the other female groups of the 70's and 80's. I happen to love Sister Sledge, The Pointers, The Emotions, Love Unlimited , Labelle, First Choice and probably others too. There is room in my musical heart for all of these talented ladies.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    How true. Though Williams may have more of a following in the USA than we think as I recently read he has been scheduled for a residency in Vegas.
    Yes i read about his recent Vegas Residency which surprised me somewhat.
    I know that some of his albums did not even get official releases in the States, yet they sold millions around the world.
    Another singer who has had great success worldwide without breaking big in America is Cliff Richard. It is possible to carve out a successful musical career without attaining mass success in The States. It is a big world out there.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Great vocally. I have a couple of their albums. I think I've only seen one live performance and they lip synced that, so I wasn't visually impressed. But I LOVE the lead singer's voice. She's underrated.
    The lead singer, Rochelle Fleming is a patient of my buddy Evan's. He is a dentist in Philly. She can sang!

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    NEWSFLASH. You can have a successful and financially lucrative career without being a superstar in the USA. A British singer by the name of Robbie Williams is barely known in the States yet he has enjoyed massive success around the world, and is one of the wealthiest singers in the world. The USA may be the biggest market, but it is not the be all and end all of the music market.
    You can also say that about Julio Iglesias. Huge international superstar before he had any success in America. Even Westlife who Diana Ross did a duet with were mega stars outside the USA.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The lead singer, Rochelle Fleming is a patient of my buddy Evan's. He is a dentist in Philly. She can sang!
    Wow. Dentist must be a lot of real good inside scoop from a half frozen mouth with an instrument or drill poking around in it, your always 6 miles from stardom dear. Hehehehehehehehehe.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 11-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    You can also say that about Julio Iglesias. Huge international superstar before he had any success in America. Even Westlife who Diana Ross did a duet with were mega stars outside the USA.
    Westlife were indeed megastars outside the USA. I think their comeback album has just debuted at no.1 on the UK album chart yet they are totally ignored in the States.

  38. #38
    and let's not forget :


  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    and let's not forget :

    Oh please Boogiedown. Can we forget Showaddywaddy? Please?

  40. #40
    Oh, hey. Whaddabout Middle of the Road? Very pops in the Eurps.


  41. #41
    As Celine Dion once sang "It's all coming back to me now" lol.. My goodness, it seems another lifetime ago.

  42. #42
    Getting back on track what is everyones favorite Three Degrees song? Most people will go for When will i see you again so let's exempt that little beauty. There are many to choose from but i think i would go for the fantastic "get your love back" or the stunning " take good care of yourself" Both of them were well deserved UK hits.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    As Celine Dion once sang "It's all coming back to me now" lol.. My goodness, it seems another lifetime ago.
    That was a great song and video by Celine. One of my favorites from 2009.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh, hey. Whaddabout Middle of the Road? Very pops in the Eurps.

    They sound like ABBA.

  45. #45
    Yeah The Three Degrees were easily as good as The Supremes and I'm glad Sheila Ferguson wasn't a Supreme. The 3Ds had a great sound, more rounded than The Sups which is due to the balance of the three ladies voices in harmony. Valerie Holiday had a very distinctive voice which comes through very clearly and Fayette helped to smooth out the overall sound. Not downplaying The Supremes here cos I love them too but they sounded totally different. Their "Love Train" paled against the O'Jays but I would have loved to hear The Sups on "Dirty Ol' Man".

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yeah The Three Degrees were easily as good as The Supremes and I'm glad Sheila Ferguson wasn't a Supreme. The 3Ds had a great sound, more rounded than The Sups which is due to the balance of the three ladies voices in harmony. Valerie Holiday had a very distinctive voice which comes through very clearly and Fayette helped to smooth out the overall sound. Not downplaying The Supremes here cos I love them too but they sounded totally different. Their "Love Train" paled against the O'Jays but I would have loved to hear The Sups on "Dirty Ol' Man".
    Val has indeed got a lovely distinctive voice. I definitely prefer The 3Ds to the latter day Supremes. They were far slicker on stage and oozed professionalism. They still put on a fine show. Val also happens to be an absolute sweetheart. She never forgets my Birthday.

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Getting back on track what is everyones favorite Three Degrees song? Most people will go for When will i see you again so let's exempt that little beauty. There are many to choose from but i think i would go for the fantastic "get your love back" or the stunning " take good care of yourself" Both of them were well deserved UK hits.
    Maybe, If And When, Get Your Love Back, I Didn't Know (live version) and Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon (best version imo).

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Val has indeed got a lovely distinctive voice. I definitely prefer The 3Ds to the latter day Supremes. They were far slicker on stage and oozed professionalism. They still put on a fine show. Val also happens to be an absolute sweetheart. She never forgets my Birthday.
    Wow how lucky to get cards off Valerie - I do have a soft spot for her though I've not personally met her. Sheila is also beautiful and glamorous when made up - she's an ordinary girl in jeans an an anorak lol - but still taller than me.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Wow how lucky to get cards off Valerie - I do have a soft spot for her though I've not personally met her. Sheila is also beautiful and glamorous when made up - she's an ordinary girl in jeans an an anorak lol - but still taller than me.
    Val is such a sweet and kind lady. Helen is very nice too. I always found Sheila very hit and miss. She was so beautiful and sexy, but not the easiest person to get along with.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sheila would've made an excellent replacement for Ross. She definitely had all the right qualifications to step into such huge shoes. But judging from the Three Degrees success in the states in the 70s, I don't see her being able to take the group any further than Jean did. As a Supreme she still would've run into the same stumbling blocks Jean ran into, with the possible exception that she might- and this is my opinion without knowing much about Sheila's personality- have been easier to work with from a Motown exec standpoint and then may have kept Gordy interested enough to be somewhat hands on.

    But Jean was the lead singer of the most successful- single for single- female group of the 1970s. It's hard to beat that or suggest that anyone else would've done a better job.
    Jean Terrell was the absolute best choice to be the Supremes lead singer! She even sounded much better than Diana Ross and infinitely more soulful. To me, Sheila Ferguson was just another woman wearing a big wig and a plastic personality to go along with it. She would have no business being in the Supremes. Freda Payne? None that would be another story entirely and another excellent choice after Jean Terrell. Jean Terrell was perfect for the job and she had everything the Supremes needed. I am glad Mary Wilson stuck up for her, along with Cindy Birdsong. I can't imagine not having all of those great records and albums by JMC.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-25-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.