[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin's Estate Sue over Temptations Movie

RUFFIN STEINBACK v. Suzanne dePASSE

This is not a new story, but it is an interesting case:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1408617.html

Every biopic plays fast and loose with what actually happened

And someone is always upset about how they personally [[or some events) are portrayed

Has anyone ever won one of these type of lawsuits?

I am not sure about the winning of lawsuits, but I recall relatives having issues with movies on Frankie Lymon, Billie Holliday and others.

Good luck with all that... Hope the found lawyers to work on contingency because hiring lawyers with actual money will cost them a lot...

This is very old it seems and it appears that most of what some Ruffin wanted was denied on appeal and that the summary judgement was against them.

What did the movie say that was so awful - that he was a druggie? Which was true.

I wonder if they also plan to sue the producers of Unsung since their episode on David Ruffin is just as unflattering [[if not more so).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I wonder if they also plan to sue the producers of Unsung since their episode on David Ruffin is just as unflattering [[if not more so).
    The unsung episode was actually tamer than I was expecting

Rock on Ruffin family. Hope they win. The mini series is a pile of garbage anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    Rock on Ruffin family. Hope they win. The mini series is a pile of garbage anyway.

Yep, riddled with errors.

Some of you do know this was already settled with Otis and the production company winning the case

I googled and there is no current case. The Ruffins sued in 98.

Anyone that read my opening post in this thread already knows that this is not a new case.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Some of you do know this was already settled with Otis and the production company winning the case
    Exactly

That’s what this judgment says but it’s highly legalistic

Why do you hope they win? Do you have a stake in the case? Why would anyone care one way or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Why do you hope they win? Do you have a stake in the case? Why would anyone care one way or the other?
    So that the next producer will think twice about making movies full of lies and distortions?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Some people care because these are emotional issues

Many people left Motown penniless - most people; many are in unmarked graves

People identify with those that got left, got shunted aside, that weren’t successful

And the gap in wealth between Berry and 3 or 4 successes and all the rest of the people that were part of Motown is massive - just like the worst of the USA today - a few obscenely wealthy people and many poor people
    Last edited by jobeterob; 11-20-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Some people care because these are emotional issues

Many people left Motown penniless - most people; many are in unmarked graves

People identify with those that got left, hot shunted aside, that weren’t successful

And the gap in wealth between Berry and 3 or 4 successes and all the rest of people that were part of Motown is massive - just like the worst of the USA today - a few obscenely wealthy people and many poor people
    I agree 100%!

It's a shame a lot of artists either died poor, broke or in debt. Of course, I don't think these people didn't deserve some of that blame, not all of it but some. Lots put trust into that man to make them a star but they weren't savvy enough to ask about money. The Jackson 5 basically did those tours and Vegas shows so they wouldn't be in debt to Motown though they signed a deal where their name would be in Motown's possession and they wouldn't receive royalties from their Motown work [[I don't think they receive any money from the songs on Motown and that's mainly cause they didn't write them), not to mention having them sign under a 2.7% royalty rate, which I believe, every Motown artist received upon signing with them except for, I'm guessing, Smokey, Stevie [[after 1971), Marvin [[after 1971) and Gladys Knight & The Pips [[Bubba Knight recalls a showdown between Motown execs and their manager at the time over the group's Motown deal in 1966).