[REMOVE ADS]

Will there ever be a "Diana- The Musical" as there is "Tina -The Musical"?

Perhaps, "The Diana Ross Story", the musical will be made. I doubt that Berry Gordy will produce the musical- as the life story of Diana Ross
    continues to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Perhaps, "The Diana Ross Story", the musical will be made. I doubt that Berry Gordy will produce the musical- as the life story of Diana Ross
    continues to evolve.
    Watch this space!!!

I always thought it would be good but ...if BG was involved....I wasn't 100 on Motown musical ...although I liked it....to many Ross medleys. In the entire show....of all the musical highlites...none of the highlites were of Ross songs. It was over kill. Just my opinion. If he's not envolved ...probably a good thing

Hmmm. I personally don't see it. Tina was willing to spill the beans decades ago and it worked out for her. I'm sure that Diana's life has been every bit as dramatic as Tina's [[only lacking the absolute career bottom-out that Tina experienced) but I just don't see the 'handle' to such a show. Unless Diana appears in it, more like the Lena Horne show. More of these musicals bomb than succeed [[Cher, Donna, to name just 2) so there's that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Watch this space!!!
    We surely shall, but even as ardent a Diana fan as I am just don't see it ...

Cher and Donna bombed?

I’m not sure Diana had a life that hit the bottoms of Tina but I certainly wouldn’t know

dreamgirls and the Motown musical pretty much told her story. I don’t know that another Broadway story is needed or desired. Plus, it would be told from her side, and we all know how that went in “No Secrets From a Sparrow.”
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    dreamgirls and the Motown musical pretty much told her story. I don’t know that another Broadway story is needed or desired. Plus, it would be told from her side, and we all know how that went in No Secrets From a Sparrow.
    They would need to hire me as creative consultant, hehehehehehehe.........

Yes, The Diana Ross Story starring Mary Wilson. Hehehehe
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-17-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Diana is a very private person. Tina was willing to tell her entire story and that made her a folk heroine to virtually everyone who listened to her interviews and read to her books. Diana was always a larger than life persona that relied on a strong PR game so she let folks out of that door to view how she was really feeling. So I don't know if a solo musical would've worked. Technically with the Motown musical, she already has one, you could say.

Now, Marvin Gaye would be a GREAT Broadway jukebox musical! IF DONE RIGHT. Like the Tina and Temptations ones. Michael Jackson's will come out next year but who knows how well it would do concerning you-know-what.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    We surely shall, but even as ardent a Diana fan as I am just don't see it ...
    There are lots of exciting possibilities that may or may not come to fruition. i will repeat what i said yesterday. Watch this space!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They would need to hire me as creative consultant, hehehehehehehe.........
    I wouldn't hire you to clean up after my dog, hehehehehehe........

There are lots of exciting possibilities that may or may not come to fruition. i will repeat what i said yesterday. Watch this space!
    I certainly shall! I always want the best for Our Miss Ross!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I certainly shall! I always want the best for Our Miss Ross!
    As you well know Dreamgirls so called focused on the Supremes. The proposed Diana musical would obviously feature a lot of Supremes songs as well as the major solo hits. This will take the form of a musical extravaganza that will focus on the music rather than her private life. This is why she is more open to the idea. If and when it happens it will premier in London. Diana will not appear in the show.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 11-18-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Not finished the post

As you well know Dreamgirls so called focused on the Supremes. The proposed Diana musical would obviously feature a lot of Supremes songs as well as the major solo hits. This will take the form of a musical extravaganza that will focus on the music rather than her private life. This is why she is more open to the idea. If and when it happens it will premier in London. Diana will not appear in the show.
    Sometime around 1993, Diana was supposedly working on a docudrama about her career to air on US TV. I remember reading about this in a few of the articles that came out when she was celebrating her 30th anniversary. I believe I saw a small clip from it, which featured Diana and her daughter walking through the Brewster Projects.

Do you know anything about this project?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Sometime around 1993, Diana was supposedly working on a docudrama about her career to air on US TV. I remember reading about this in a few of the articles that came out when she was celebrating her 30th anniversary. I believe I saw a small clip from it, which featured Diana and her daughter walking through the Brewster Projects.

Do you know anything about this project?
    Yes i do. The docodrama was planned to tie in with the boxset and the one woman collection. Some filming did take place and a few clips have surfaced online. There is some footage that was used in a UK interview, but the project was ultimately shelved.

Yes i do. The docodrama was planned to tie in with the boxset and the one woman collection. Some filming did take place and a few clips have surfaced online. There is some footage that was used in a UK interview, but the project was ultimately shelved.
    Thanks for the info. Too bad it was shelved. From the small info I read, it seemed like it was shaping up to be a big project, with filming in the US and Europe.

Around 1999, another project was mentioned. Oprah asked Diana was it true that she was mounting a project on the Supremes. Diana said something about having problems with music clearances but not much else. I gather it was dropped as this was the beginning of an unhappy period for her.
    Last edited by reese; 11-18-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks for the info. Too bad it was shelved. From the small info I read, it seemed like it was shaping up to be a big project, with filming in the US and Europe.

Around 1999, another project was mentioned. Oprah asked Diana was it true that she was mounting a project on the Supremes. Diana said something about having problems with music clearances but not much else. I gather it was dropped as this was the beginning of an unhappy period for her.
    Sorry but i have no immediate recollection of that, but as you rightly say it was the start of a difficult time for her. I don't think this proposed project ever got out of the starting blocks. If it ever did it must have been when i was not around.

perhaps as ideas were being bounced around prior to Return To Love, some things like a bio doc was considered. Especially as the rumors were going on about the idea of a Sup Reunion for the millennium.

Yes. I remember that project. It was one of the projects for the 3 picture deal with the network. Brandy even joked as wanting to be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Cher and Donna bombed?

I’m not sure Diana had a life that hit the bottoms of Tina but I certainly wouldn’t know
    Yes. Big time. Large investor losses. Sad but true. It seemed for a brief while that The Cher Show could be discounted heavily [[tourists, 'ya know) and get through a year, but it didn't happen despite generally good reviews and great performances by the 3 'Chers'.

Well, I would wager a decent sized bet that one particular ex-Supreme is wig-shoppin' gossip-poppin' and rumour-hoppin' just at the mention of such an extravaganza. Hehehe.

Surprised at Cher especially bombing

Mary will show at the premiere but will not be received - again

Marv will be in charge of lost and found still looking for his camera

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Surprised at Cher especially bombing

Mary will show at the premiere but will not be received - again

Marv will be in charge of lost and found still looking for his camera
    Yes, The Cher Show reception was a disappointment to many. 'Ya just never know what the audience wants to see. I remember about 15 years ago hearing about a B'wy musical based on Franki Valli & the Four Seasons and thought 'That'll last about a week'! I think a problem with Cher and Donna is that they would mainly appeal to female and gay audiences, as opposed to Carole King's 'Beautiful' was more cross appeal and FV&T4S 'Jersey Boys' highly appealed to guys.

I'd love a Diana musical and would definitely go and see it , but with Dreamgirls and Motown The Musical her story might already have been told...?