[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Soulful Canada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Soulful Canada

The past and present of soul music in Canada.

https://soulfulcanada.wordpress.com/tag/canadian-music/

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  21.1 KB
    I know and like Eddie Spencer. The rest are a bit too "modern" for me to have come across. Too bad they didn't have links to You-Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 866
    I know and like Eddie Spencer. The rest are a bit too "modern" for me to have come across. Too bad they didn't have links to You-Tube.
    I had big hopes for that too. I know some very good soul records came out of Canada that were not heard all over the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I had big hopes for that too. I know some very good soul records came out of Canada that were not heard all over the U.S.
Views: 870
    I remember some good ones by Tobi Lark. And I know that Marva Josie used to sing a lot in Toronto, and she lived there for a while. I don't know, for sure, if any Canadian labels recorded her, but I think so.

Views: 870
    I remember some good ones by Tobi Lark. And I know that Marva Josie used to sing a lot in Toronto, and she lived there for a while. I don't know, for sure, if any Canadian labels recorded her, but I think so.
    Do you remember Ernestine Anderson?

Do you remember Ernestine Anderson?
Views: 758
    Certainly! Great gospel singer, and secular Soul singer from St. Louis. I have lots of her records.

Is there a CD or box set of classic soul that was only released in Canada?

How about this one from Shawne Jackson:

How about this one from Shawne Jackson:

Views: 714
    Very nice! Did Dominic Troiono record that in Toronto and have Gene Page record the strings or do the final mixing in L.A.? Or did Gene come up to Canada to work in the session? In my experience, usually when two different arrangers are listed, part of the recording was done in a different city.

Views: 714
    Very nice! Did Dominic Troiono record that in Toronto and have Gene Page record the strings or do the final mixing in L.A.? Or did Gene come up to Canada to work in the session? In my experience, usually when two different arrangers are listed, part of the recording was done in a different city.
    I wished I could answer that. This record received a lot of airplay at the time[[1974) on CKLW. I always liked it,but later learned that folks in other parts of the U.S. never heard it.

[QUOTE=marv2;550045]How about this one from Shawne Jackson:

[video=youtube;saHakYLBYRU]https://www.youtube.com/wa

Thanks Marv! This should have been a solid local Detroit area hit.

Eric Mercury from Toronto was great. Here's one from in 1070:

Shirley Matthews from Ontario:

Shirley Matthews from Ontario:

Views: 841
    I always was told Shirley Matthews was from L.A. She was a young kid living there when I started university at U.C.L.A. in 1965. I always heard she was born and raised in L.A. I'm sure this video was just her appearing on a Canadian T.V. programme. LOTS of Americans appeared in Canada on long tours. Detroit artists appeared not only in Windsor, but also in London, Hamilton, and Toronto, regularly. But that doesn't make their singing "Canadian Soul". "Big Town Boy" was written and produced by Americans in USA. Did Shirley immigrate to Canada, later?
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-18-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Attachment 16494
    I always was told Shirley Matthews was from L.A. She was a young kid living there when I started university at U.C.L.A. in 1965. I always heard she was born and raised in L.A. I'm sure this video was just her appearing on a Canadian T.V. programme. LOTS of Americans appeared in Canada on long tours. Detroit artists appeared not only in Windsor, but also in London, Hamilton, and Toronto, regularly. But that doesn't make their singing "Canadian Soul". "Big Town Boy" was written and produced by Americans in USA. Did Shirley immigrate to Canada, later?
    Robb, this Shirley Matthews was a Canadian native. She was born in Harrow, Ontario, Canada. There is another Sherlie Matthews that was a pretty well known session singer and songwriter for Motown from LA.

Robb, this Shirley Matthews was a Canadian native. She was born in Harrow, Ontario, Canada. There is another Sherlie Matthews that was a pretty well known session singer and songwriter for Motown from LA.
    Attachment 16497
    Thanks for that information. I always thought they both were the same person, because so many people misspelled both their names [[switching them). Nice to know.

The Motherlode was from Ontario. They had a hit with this popular record in 1969 - "When I Die"

Elaine Golden's "Fool Moon Fool". This is one border between Soul and Pop to me:

Montreal Soul from Gino Vannelli!

Charity Brown from Kitchner-Waterloo area did well in 1975 with "take me in your arms and rock me" she did other motown covers as well. She did well on the Canadian charts.
    [[Sorry I don't know how to post the Youtube posts).

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Charity Brown from Kitchner-Waterloo area did well in 1975 with "take me in your arms and rock me" she did other motown covers as well. She did well on the Canadian charts.
    [[Sorry I don't know how to post the Youtube posts).
    I remember her! For some reason, I thought she was from the U.K. I use to go to Kitchner-Waterloo, but it's been years now.

Here's one I remember from CKLW:

thanks Marv. I didn't know that song, but it was great too.

Can't forget Jackie Shane. Any Other Way. That song is timelesss.
    Although not from Canada, performed in and loved Toronto. And I think there was a documentary recently about her and she did an interview prior to her recent passing.

Here is one of my more recent favorites, Jully Black of Toronto: