[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye - "My Mistake"

I feel so happy when I hear this song. Does anyone feel this way and end up singing the song?

Yes and yes! One of my favorites from the album.

This should have been released before You’re A Special part of Me

But likely Love Twins should have come first

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I feel so happy when I hear this song. Does anyone feel this way and end up singing the song?
    For sure i do. This is the song that initially stood out for me when i first heard the album. It remains one of my favorite three along with You are everything and Stop,look,listen.

I never thought much of this song until listening to it a few months back for the first time in years. Now I find it still sounds fresh and I like it a lot.

All the tracks on Diana & Marvin were released as singles in the UK [[5 A-side, 5 B-side).

We followed the US with You're A Special Part of Me as the lead-off which did nothing so instead of Mistake they tried You Are Everything as the second single which went top 5 and became the first Motown single in the UK to receive an offiical sales certification [[silver).

Yet more proof that the UK wanted ballads from Diana so they followed with Stop, Look, Listen which went top 30.

Reverting to Mistake it ony managed to make the Breakers but by this stage most had bought the album which went top 10 and achieved Gold status.

I wonder why Everything was never a single in the US - it's a glorious record?

It was a high quality album and all the tracks had merit.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

I wonder why Everything was never a single in the US - it's a glorious record?
    Probably because it was a relatively recent US hit by the Stylistics and even though Diana and Marvin's version is great, it isn't really all that different.

Of course, no answer is definitive. Motown US released their remake of Wilson Pickett's DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE as the last single from the album and it wasn't all that different either.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I as well; a great arrangement, too. Well worth rediscovering and indeed a happy record!

Loved it when I first heard it, but I've since cooled off of it in recent years. Half the time when I'm listening to the album I skip this song. It's nice but it doesn't do for me what it once did.

Meh

lol

this song never did much for me. it's not bad. i certainly like it better than Don't Knock My Love. but i prefer You Are Everything, Just Say and You're a Special Part

Love it. My fav from this album

My Mistake is a great song but the initially released version was effectively a Marvin solo for the first 1:07 whereas the alternate take had Diana at 0:25 and 0:59.

Definitely one of my favorites from the album.