[REMOVE ADS]

Studio LP: Fastest Turn Around from Conception to Release

I was thinking about music releases today; how it's not uncommon for an artist to go years, or sometimes decades, between albums.

Motown on the other hand was a music machine, pumping out 2 or 3 or 5 albums on one artist in a year, sometimes releasing multiple albums on the same day.

Was wondering, sans live albums, from start to finish, what Motown LP was recorded in the shortest amount of time? While a majority of the LPs have songs that span over a few years, there must be examples of albums not including anything vaulted.

The only one that comes to mind might be "Sam Cooke" by the Supremes. Sam passed on December 11, 1964; their tribute was recorded, mixed, packaged and released 4 months later on April 12, 1965. Any other artists or examples of something faster?

I would assume the Supremes' A BIT OF LIVERPOOL had a short period from concept to release. They probably recorded it sometime around August or September of 1964 and it was released that October.

Martha and the Vandellas' HEAT WAVE album was recorded in a couple of hours. The group flew into Detroit from an out-of-town engagement and recorded the whole album, plus some backup songs for Marvin Gaye, and flew back to to continue their engagement. Martha says they all had to get shots for their throats because they were suffering from overuse.

The HEAT WAVE single was released in July of 1963. I assume it got hot somewhere in August and they hurriedly recorded the album. The album was released on September 30.
    Last edited by reese; 11-13-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Reese. I did some looking on WIKI about "Heatwave" and am starting a new thread on that topic, lol.

A BIT OF LIVERPOOL has got to be one of, if not the fastest put together LP....the British Invasion could have been a 6 month craze for all they knew at the time. Look what happened in '62 when Chubby's TWIST recharted at #1 and the twist craze hit...tons of Twist LPs appeared...strike while the irons hot...In the late 60's and early 70's Columbia records released almost identical "pop" LP's on Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Vikki Carr and Tony Bennett

The Diana Ross and The Supremes "Sing and Perform Funny Girl" was recorded in a short period of time. My only problem with the Supremes concept albums was the very rare solos for Flo and Mary.
    From a business point of view, song solos by each member of the group would have expanded the fan base and led to creative solo careers. Case in point- The Beatles- each member contributed to every album-especially
    in later recordings- when anticipated solo careers became a reality. Although the Supremes did not compose their songs, during
    the recording sessions, Flo could have been groomed for Soul\R&B and Mary for Ballad\Jazz.

I'm sure we can add The Temptations Sing Smokey to this list. Their classic "My Girl" had topped the charts early in '65 so it was a good time for that album to come out quickly.

How about adding to the list The Marvelettes' Smash Hits of '62 LP? The album is all covers of then current hits [[except for "Twistin' Postman").
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 11-16-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    The Diana Ross and The Supremes "Sing and Perform Funny Girl" was recorded in a short period of time. My only problem with the Supremes concept albums was the very rare solos for Flo and Mary.
    From a business point of view, song solos by each member of the group would have expanded the fan base and led to creative solo careers. Case in point- The Beatles- each member contributed to every album-especially
    in later recordings- when anticipated solo careers became a reality. Although the Supremes did not compose their songs, during
    the recording sessions, Flo could have been groomed for Soul\R&B and Mary for Ballad\Jazz.
    Except for one thing, B.G. didn't care about expanding the roles of Flo, Mary or Cindy in The Supremes. He was focused on the eventual launch of Diana Ross' solo career [[especially in the late '60s).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Except for one thing, B.G. didn't care about expanding the roles of Flo, Mary or Cindy in The Supremes. He was focused on the eventual launch of Diana Ross' solo career [[especially in the late '60s).
    He also had to be convinced that Mary and Flo had the goods - and Flo was drinking and Mary didn’t want to sing lead until 1972 - so he wasn’t convinced it was worthwhile

Wasn't the Supremes Christmas lp recorded in a short span

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Wasn't the Supremes Christmas lp recorded in a short span
    According to the notes from the reissue of Merry Christmas The Supremes from 1999, it was done quickly with the music recorded in Aug. 65 [[in L.A.) and the vocals done a month later [[in Detroit).

Many artists both Pop and Country who recorded in Nashville completed a LP and tracks for 2 or 3 independent singles in 3 days....as Motown fans, we are generally aware and [[now accustomed) to the non themed 2 hits w/10 track standard issue LPs being culled from sessions going back sometimes years...the LPS that were exceptions we look at as rush job/ thrown together....but 3-4 days was most likely industry standard when popular performers were contacted to releasing 3-4 LP's every year

I've read that studio time was usually booked in 3 hour increments, and that the goal was to record 4 sides during that time. I don't know if that was the practice at Motown, since everyone seemed to be recording practically round the clock, but I believe that was an industry standard around that time when artists would be booked for studio time.