[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 86
  1. #1

    Should Diana Do A Tribute Song To Michael On Her New Album?

    ---Their close relationship is legendary , yet Diana has never paid a recorded tribute to their friendship since Michael's passing. Presuming she wanted to , Diana mainly hasn't had a chance, she hasn't recorded an album since he died in 2009.
    Seems like it would be a fitting way to let the world know he still has a place in her heart (if it is so) , and this long passing of time would make it seem hardly a cash in. Kind of risky actually , considering the current tide , but it could be done in a way that steers far away from appearing to side on such issues.

    Actually there are a couple of ways to do this , one would be a newly written song ( written by?) referencing Michael ( MICHAEL could even be the song's title), or she could simply pay a remembrance by performing one of his songs from his catalogue. Trouble is, when I think of Jackson's hits, none of them jump out as appropriate for the purpose here. Or maybe I'm overlooking some titles....

    Just a thought , it might be something to add some zing to this new project. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Didnít she perform You Are Not Alone several times as a tribute?

    It is on some album as well but perhaps not an American release.

    Trouble is - isnít that song written by R Kelly?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Didn’t she perform You Are Not Alone several times as a tribute?

    It is on some album as well but perhaps not an American release.

    Trouble is - isn’t that song written by R Kelly?
    Her version of this was included on the UK album Voice of Love. It was indeed written by R.Kelly. There is no way she would perform this nowadays.
    It's a great song but totally inappropriate for her these days

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ---Their close relationship is legendary , yet Diana has never paid a recorded tribute to their friendship since Michael's passing. Presuming she wanted to , Diana mainly hasn't had a chance, she hasn't recorded an album since he died in 2009.
    Seems like it would be a fitting way to let the world know he still has a place in her heart (if it is so) , and this long passing of time would make it seem hardly a cash in. Kind of risky actually , considering the current tide , but it could be done in a way that steers far away from appearing to side on such issues.

    Actually there are a couple of ways to do this , one would be a newly written song ( written by?) referencing Michael ( MICHAEL could even be the song's title), or she could simply pay a remembrance by performing one of his songs from his catalogue. Trouble is, when I think of Jackson's hits, none of them jump out as appropriate for the purpose here. Or maybe I'm overlooking some titles....

    Just a thought , it might be something to add some zing to this new project. Any thoughts?
    It is highly unlikely to happen. It would not be greeted with universal acclaim if she recorded a musical tribute to him. There are way too many unanswered questions regarding Michael Jackson. It is best to leave such an idea at the starting block.
    I am neither defending or condoning Michael Jackson. I just don't think this would be a good idea.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Her version of this was included on the UK album Voice of Love. It was indeed written by R.Kelly. There is no way she would perform this nowadays.
    It's a great song but totally inappropriate for her these days
    Didnít she just perform this song to Katherine Jackson earlier this year?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Didn’t she just perform this song to Katherine Jackson earlier this year?
    Yes she did, a couple of months ago. And as mentioned above, it was the closing number on her initial MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY tour.

    Re a song on the new album, if she wants to, more power to her. But I don't think its necessary. Most people know that Diana loved Michael deeply. Just a few months ago, she tweeted a message of support in the wake of LEAVING NEVERLAND.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=reese;549077]Yes she did, a couple of months ago. And as mentioned above, it was the closing number on her initial MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY tour.

    Re a song on the new album, if she wants to, more power to her. But I don't think its necessary. Most people know that Diana loved Michael deeply. Just a few months ago, she tweeted a message of support in the wake of LEAVING NEVERLAND.[/QUOTE

    Opinions are so polarizing now, itís almost a no-win situation regardless of the intent if Diana chose to do this. But if she ever desires to record a song in tribute, Gone Too Soon could be a good choice...

  8. #8
    [QUOTE=JohnnyB;549080]
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes she did, a couple of months ago. And as mentioned above, it was the closing number on her initial MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY tour.

    Re a song on the new album, if she wants to, more power to her. But I don't think its necessary. Most people know that Diana loved Michael deeply. Just a few months ago, she tweeted a message of support in the wake of LEAVING NEVERLAND.[/QUOTE

    Opinions are so polarizing now, it’s almost a no-win situation regardless of the intent if Diana chose to do this. But if she ever desires to record a song in tribute, Gone Too Soon could be a good choice...
    I agree. Even if she decides to pay tribute, I'm sure someone will think of it as exploitation. As with many things, it seems that Diana is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

  9. #9
    She has several times but I have issues with this as she never did a song for florence Ballard after her death.
    Just my opinion.

  10. #10
    I repeat: Oh, bless your heart.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    She has several times but I have issues with this as she never did a song for florence Ballard after her death.
    Just my opinion.
    Every time she sings an early Supremes song itís a tribute to Florence Ballard. In the 70s she always mentioned Mary and Florence when she did her Supremes medley.

  13. #13
    She also highlighted Florence in the ďMissing YouĒ video.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Lol

    Bless your heart for this too

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    She also highlighted Florence in the “Missing You” video.
    Yes she has and it included Florence, Tammi Terrell, Paul Williams, Marvin Gaye and her own mother.

  16. #16
    [QUOTE=reese;549085]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

    I agree. Even if she decides to pay tribute, I'm sure someone will think of it as exploitation. As with many things, it seems that Diana is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.
    Well she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with "Missing You", so why not?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    She has several times but I have issues with this as she never did a song for florence Ballard after her death.
    Just my opinion.
    A song? She barely even talked about Florence's death. I know she never dedicated a song to Florence in any of her shows.

  18. #18
    [QUOTE=marv2;549106]
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Well she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with "Missing You", so why not?
    And Mary Wilson exploited Florence Ballard in her book! So whatís your point?

  19. #19
    [QUOTE=vgalindo;549108]
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    And Mary Wilson exploited Florence Ballard in her book! So what’s your point?
    She also dedicated "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You" to Florence in the Supremes concerts. She still dedicates "I Am Changing" to Florence in her own concerts today! Mary Wilson always mentions Flo. She promised her that she would tell her story, that she would "take care of it" and she did!

  20. #20
    [QUOTE=vgalindo;549108]
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    And Mary Wilson exploited Florence Ballard in her book! So what’s your point?
    My point was clear, if you knew how to read for comprehension! The question was asked whether Diane should have a Michael Jackson tribute song on her album (which i wouldn't hold my breathe looking for it anytime soon if ever....) and if it would come off as exploitative. I responded with, why not, she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with the song "Missing You". Now I cannot believe that you are this dumb to ask me what my point is when it was spelled out VERY clearly before your weak ass snide remark about Mary exploiting Florence Ballard by including her in her book. Florence was a part of Mary's life and story or is that too difficult for you to understand? If it is, I cannot help you. That is not my field of expertise. Seek a professional.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    She has several times but I have issues with this as she never did a song for florence Ballard after her death.
    Just my opinion.
    This is what Diana Ross said almost immediately after Florence's death:

    Ross didn't talk to Wilson for her book or People for their article, nor has she since had much to say about what happened with Ballard and the Supremes, even in her own memoir, Secrets of a Sparrow. But Diana: A Biography quotes a 1976 interview given to Chicago Tribune Magazine in which Ross said, "Florence was always on a totally negative trip. She wanted to be a victim. Maybe I should have slapped her face a few times, tried to knock some sense into her. She was one of those people you wanted to grab and shake and yell, 'Get your [expletive] life together.'"

    She went on to say a few months later:

    "Look, Florence is dead, I'm not. Let's not make a big thing out of this....."

    That is what that self centered cow said to an interviewer when he asked Ross about Florence Ballard in 1976!

    https://www.eonline.com/news/887285/...of-girl-groups

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is what Diana Ross said almost immediately after Florence's death:

    Ross didn't talk to Wilson for her book or People for their article, nor has she since had much to say about what happened with Ballard and the Supremes, even in her own memoir, Secrets of a Sparrow. But Diana: A Biography quotes a 1976 interview given to Chicago Tribune Magazine in which Ross said, "Florence was always on a totally negative trip. She wanted to be a victim. Maybe I should have slapped her face a few times, tried to knock some sense into her. She was one of those people you wanted to grab and shake and yell, 'Get your [expletive] life together.'"

    She went on to say a few months later:

    "Look, Florence is dead, I'm not. Let's not make a big thing out of this....."

    That is what that self centered cow said to an interviewer when he asked Ross about Florence Ballard in 1976!

    https://www.eonline.com/news/887285/...of-girl-groups

    And another real big and real bitter self centered cow said this a few years ago.Hehehehehehehehehe.

    "Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."
    Last edited by Roberta75; 11-12-2019 at 01:31 AM.

  23. #23
    [QUOTE=marv2;549113]
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post

    My point was clear, if you knew how to read for comprehension! The question was asked whether Diane should have a Michael Jackson tribute song on her album (which i wouldn't hold my breathe looking for it anytime soon if ever....) and if it would come off as exploitative. I responded with, why not, she exploited Marvin Gaye's death with the song "Missing You". Now I cannot believe that you are this dumb to ask me what my point is when it was spelled out VERY clearly before your weak ass snide remark about Mary exploiting Florence Ballard by including her in her book. Florence was a part of Mary's life and story or is that too difficult for you to understand? If it is, I cannot help you. That is not my field of expertise. Seek a professional.
    Still doesnít change what I said. If Diana Rossí dedicated song is exploiting Marvin Gayes death. Then Mary Wilson exploited what happened to Florence to make a buck! I hope thatís not too difficult for you to understand! Just like Marvin Gaye was a part of Diana Rossí life and she dedicated a song to him. If that is exploiting his death. Mary exploited FlorenceĎs death in her book and still doing it in her tributes and concerts according to you. And you of all people need to seek professional help with your obsession of Diana Ross. Lol.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 11-12-2019 at 01:41 AM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    And another real big and real bitter self centered cow said this a few years ago.Hehehehehehehehehe.

    "Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."
    He canít stay out of them. He is too obsessed! My goodness he needs to seek professional help.

  25. #25
    Heíd likely calm down if he got his camera back or if Mary would receive him - but maybe he needs a partner too

  26. #26
    Getting back on track with regard to the original topic i will repeat what i said earlier that it would not be a good idea to record a tribute song. Just look how this particular thread has exploded at the mere mention of it. It is a far too toxic a subject. Diana's comeback album needs to be an upbeat happy affair. We do not need Michael Jackson to be involved in any way.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebrock View Post
    getting back on track with regard to the original topic i will repeat what i said earlier that it would not be a good idea to record a tribute song. Just look how this particular thread has exploded at the mere mention of it. It is a far too toxic a subject. Diana's comeback album needs to be an upbeat happy affair. We do not need michael jackson to be involved in any way.
    ***agree***

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Getting back on track with regard to the original topic i will repeat what i said earlier that it would not be a good idea to record a tribute song. Just look how this particular thread has exploded at the mere mention of it. It is a far too toxic a subject. Diana's comeback album needs to be an upbeat happy affair. We do not need Michael Jackson to be involved in any way.
    Exactly. She should focus on making another great album. She's done enough tributes. Doing a new one for MJ wouldn't be a good luck considering what we know now...

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Exactly. She should focus on making another great album. She's done enough tributes. Doing a new one for MJ wouldn't be a good luck considering what we know now...
    Exactly. Feelings are still running high with regard to Michael Jackson. Some refuse to believe the sordid stories that have been circulating whilst some are equally determined to further sully his already damaged reputation.
    Somewhere in between perhaps lies the truth.
    It would be a risky move for her to record a tribute to him. She should distance herself from him and concentrate on recording what will probably be her penultimate album.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Exactly. Feelings are still running high with regard to Michael Jackson. Some refuse to believe the sordid stories that have been circulating whilst some are equally determined to further sully his already damaged reputation.
    Somewhere in between perhaps lies the truth.
    It would be a risky move for her to record a tribute to him. She should distance herself from him and concentrate on recording what will probably be her penultimate album.
    Good points and your strong response has me softening my own position Bluebrock. Part of me wants to say, this is Diana's (last?) chance to make such a tribute , if she so desires , but it would have to be totally as something from the heart , lamenting a rather sad outcome of someone she guided and witnessed progress with such promise into an entity beyond belief. Sort of hard to just say , "too bad" old friend, and on with the dance music. Maybe her first album in this many years and at this point in her career should be about a little bit more.
    Or ... maybe not !! Why go beyond the easy stuff. Maybe that's enough. Again , I guess it would totally depend on how much doing a song like that would mean to her. And maybe her private thoughts and memories are just that and better kept that way.

    Perhaps I should've titled this "COULD" (instead of "should") Diana put a tribute song for Michael on this LP.? Could she pull it off? Has Michael's legacy really plunged that low? Is he now that toxic that he can't be mentioned? The fairy dust has worn off....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-12-2019 at 12:57 PM.

  31. #31
    There nub of the issue is that Michael might actually have abused children and no one want to associate with that. And there is no real way to put that question or doubt to bed.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Good points and your strong response has me softening my own position Bluebrock. Part of me wants to say, this is Diana's (last?) chance to make such a tribute , if she so desires , but it would have to be totally as something from the heart , lamenting a rather sad outcome of someone she guided and witnessed progress with such promise into an entity beyond belief. Sort of hard to just say , "too bad" old friend, and on with the dance music. Maybe her first album in this many years and at this point in her career should be about a little bit more.
    Or ... maybe not !! Why go beyond the easy stuff. Maybe that's enough. Again , I guess it would totally depend on how much doing a song like that would mean to her. And maybe her private thoughts and memories are just that and better kept that way.

    Perhaps I should've titled this "COULD" (instead of "should") Diana put a tribute song for Michael on this LP.? Could she pull it off? Has Michael's legacy really plunged that low? Is he now that toxic that he can't be mentioned? The fairy dust has worn off....
    It's a tough one Boogiedown. There is no doubt that she was very close to him in the 70's and 80's, but not quite so much thereafter. She is such a private person and will not be comfortable talking about him in public. Whether she is willing to actually pay tribute to him on record remains to be seen. I still think it highly unlikely, and i think it is best if she continues to remain silent with regard to him, and i think she will

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There nub of the issue is that Michael might actually have abused children and no one want to associate with that. And there is no real way to put that question or doubt to bed.

    Exactly. Whatever she does she will be criticised in certain quarters. She knows this and will be anxious not to cause any further controversy.

  34. #34
    Well I don't think she should.imo.
    Move on.she should do her own thing

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Well I don't think she should.imo.
    Move on.she should do her own thing
    We all know that it would not be sincere.......

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's a tough one Boogiedown. There is no doubt that she was very close to him in the 70's and 80's, but not quite so much thereafter. She is such a private person and will not be comfortable talking about him in public. Whether she is willing to actually pay tribute to him on record remains to be seen. I still think it highly unlikely, and i think it is best if she continues to remain silent with regard to him, and i think she will
    It would appear that at some point after the eighties , Diana and Michael distanced themselves from each other for whatever reasons. Based on that , I would say this was a relationship , while once quite close , had cooled ....and since that continued to be the case right up until the point of Michael's demise ( If I'm understanding that correctly ) ...it doesn't seem productive to revisit this long ago relationship especially based on the potential volatility of such a revisit.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It would appear that at some point after the eighties , Diana and Michael distanced themselves from each other for whatever reasons. Based on that , I would say this was a relationship , while once quite close , had cooled ....and since that continued to be the case right up until the point of Michael's demise ( If I'm understanding that correctly ) ...it doesn't seem productive to revisit this long ago relationship especially based on the potential volatility of such a revisit.
    She's not going to do it, don't worry. Diana Ross distanced herself from Michael when he refused to attend her last wedding. When the child abuse claims arose, she stayed clear of him all the way. You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-13-2019 at 03:52 PM.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She's not going to do it, don't worry. Diana Ross distanced herself from Michael when he refused to attend her last wedding. When the child abuse claims arose, she stayed clear of him all the way. You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward.
    In that case i shall stop worrying. Thank you for the reassurring words. It means a lot

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She's not going to do it, don't worry. Diana Ross distanced herself from Michael when he refused to attend her last wedding. When the child abuse claims arose, she stayed clear of him all the way. You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward.
    You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward well in public they were occasionally seen together and Michael and Diana probably meet in private a few times a year but youd know nothing about that as you dont know them.

  40. #40
    Anytime. Oh, by the way there was that one time Diana appeared on stage with Michael at the Apollo. This was after she became a drunk alcoholic in the early 2000s

    Name:  Michael and drunk Diane.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  45.4 KB

  41. #41
    Ah, when he named her guardian of his children?

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Anytime. Oh, by the way there was that one time Diana appeared on stage with Michael at the Apollo. This was after she became a drunk alcoholic in the early 2000s

    Name:  Michael and drunk Diane.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  45.4 KB
    I swear.. Yo have no shame! You are such an embarrassment..

  43. #43
    If my comments offended anyone that was not my intention. I should proof read my comments first .
    But I merely felt it was not a good idea for her to record a song for Michael or anyone.just move on and record new music for us to enjoy

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    If my comments offended anyone that was not my intention. I should proof read my comments first .
    But I merely felt it was not a good idea for her to record a song for Michael or anyone.just move on and record new music for us to enjoy
    Daviddh. Iím sorry but my comments weren't meant for you. And I donít believe your comments offended anyone.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I swear.. Yo have no shame! You are such an embarrassment..
    Not a lick of shame or decency. Im sorry but hes a sad and pathetic and real bitter lonely old troll.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She's not going to do it, don't worry. Diana Ross distanced herself from Michael when he refused to attend her last wedding. When the child abuse claims arose, she stayed clear of him all the way. You never saw them together much if at all during the 90s and onward.
    well I'm almost ready to give this up, but then I remembered that just this year , Diana did feel compelled to offer some input about some of the recent Michael attacks.

    from:

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/25/diana-ross-michael-jackson-sexual-abuse-claims


    Diana Ross has voiced support for Michael Jackson in the wake of the explosive Leaving Neverland documentary, which features extensive allegations of child sexual abuse by Jackson.
    Ross, who duetted live with Jackson and knew him for many years, wrote on Twitter: “This is what’s on my heart this morning. I believe and trust that Michael Jackson was and is a magnificent incredible force to me and to many others.” She called on people to stop the criticism of Jackson, writing “Stop in the name of love”, a reference to the title of one of her biggest hits with the Supremes.


    This tells me that even to this day , there is a level of connectivity that Diana has toward Michael. I don't recall much blow-back toward her (?) by making her comments. IF Diana decided she wanted to do a song written around him, maybe some of the lyrics have already been written in her statement. Instead of a song called MICHAEL , maybe its one titled THE FORCE.

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    If my comments offended anyone that was not my intention. I should proof read my comments first .
    But I merely felt it was not a good idea for her to record a song for Michael or anyone.just move on and record new music for us to enjoy
    You did nothing wrong David. We all know where the problem lies on this particular thread.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    well I'm almost ready to give this up, but then I remembered that just this year , Diana did feel compelled to offer some input about some of the recent Michael attacks.





    This tells me that even to this day , there is a level of connectivity that Diana has toward Michael. I don't recall much blow-back toward her (?) by making her comments. IF Diana decided she wanted to do a song written around him, maybe some of the lyrics have already been written in her statement. Instead of a song called MICHAEL , maybe its one titled THE FORCE.
    She only commented about Michael after Barbra Striesand made a public comment.

  49. #49
    Mary Wilson was speaking up about and for Michael Jackson very early on like in this interview from 2003:


  50. #50
    Marv give it a rest. You have a negative chip on your shoulder about a singer you've probably never met, because she didn't support Michael Jackson? Never mind the fact that he apparently didn't feel like she didn't support him, since he did will his children to Diana in the event his mother is unable to care for them. How is it that you're more mad about the situation than he was? That's weird dude.

    And as far as exploitation, if what Diana did was exploiting Marvin, then the Commodores also exploited him. And if what they did was exploitation, then Marvin himself exploited Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy and Martin Luther King by recording "Abraham, Martin and John". And if what Marvin did was exploitation, then Mary Wilson exploited her own mother by recording and releasing "Darling Mother (Johnnie Mae)". So if one can do it without criticism, can't they all? Or is this a pick and choose what is exploitative recording and what isn't depending on the cast of characters?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.