[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Marv give it a rest. You have a negative chip on your shoulder about a singer you've probably never met, because she didn't support Michael Jackson? Never mind the fact that he apparently didn't feel like she didn't support him, since he did will his children to Diana in the event his mother is unable to care for them. How is it that you're more mad about the situation than he was? That's weird dude.

And as far as exploitation, if what Diana did was exploiting Marvin, then the Commodores also exploited him. And if what they did was exploitation, then Marvin himself exploited Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy and Martin Luther King by recording "Abraham, Martin and John". And if what Marvin did was exploitation, then Mary Wilson exploited her own mother by recording and releasing "Darling Mother [[Johnnie Mae)". So if one can do it without criticism, can't they all? Or is this a pick and choose what is exploitative recording and what isn't depending on the cast of characters?
    I'm not giving nothing a rest! They want to talk about Diana Ross, then let's talk about her!

One song that Diana might consider doing as a nod toward Michael , both for the suggestive I'M MISSING YOU type lyrics and because Michael had a top ten hit with it from the THRILLER LP :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-16-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    One song that Diana might consider to do as a nod toward Michael , both for the suggestive I'M MISSING YOU lyrics and because Michael had a top ten hit with it :

The best tribute she could have gave was to have gone to Michael's funeral[[s) even if she did not sing like she did at Richard Pryor's funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The best tribute she could have gave was to have gone to Michael's funeral[[s) even if she did not sing like she did at Richard Pryor's funeral.
    She didn't attend his funeral ?? Who from Motown did??

Were Diana and Richard Pryor particularly associated??

If she went youd be yapping about that if she sang youd be yapping at that. Your just a big old whiny and bitchy and negative and miserable yapping chihuahua. Diana Ross is eating you up. Get a new hobby lady!!!!

She didn't attend his funeral ?? Who from Motown did??

Were Diana and Richard Pryor particularly associated??
    No she did not and she was in town! The private one held at Forest Lawn nor the big memorial held at the Staples Center. Berry Gordy and Suzanne DePasse attended. Gladys Knight, Steve Wonder and Smokey Robinson attended the memorial service at the Staples Center along with Lionel Richie.

Diana Ross did two movies with Richard Pryor,but they really became friends when she would visit him after he became "ill" to seek his advice on how to overcome her alcohol and drug addiction. Amazing huh?

---Their close relationship is legendary , yet Diana has never paid a recorded tribute to their friendship since Michael's passing. Presuming she wanted to , Diana mainly hasn't had a chance, she hasn't recorded an album since he died in 2009.
    Seems like it would be a fitting way to let the world know he still has a place in her heart [[if it is so) , and this long passing of time would make it seem hardly a cash in. Kind of risky actually , considering the current tide , but it could be done in a way that steers far away from appearing to side on such issues.

Actually there are a couple of ways to do this , one would be a newly written song [[ written by?) referencing Michael [[ MICHAEL could even be the song's title), or she could simply pay a remembrance by performing one of his songs from his catalogue. Trouble is, when I think of Jackson's hits, none of them jump out as appropriate for the purpose here. Or maybe I'm overlooking some titles....

Just a thought , it might be something to add some zing to this new project. Any thoughts?
    Bet you wished you had never started this particular thread Boogiedown.......

No to a tribute song to an accused pedophile.

Smile

One song that Diana might consider doing as a nod toward Michael , both for the suggestive I'M MISSING YOU type lyrics and because Michael had a top ten hit with it from the THRILLER LP :

Not so keen on this version Boogie, but in truth i have never really been a a Patti fan. On the other hand i think the song would have been perfect for Diana's voice.
    I would imagine the chances of her recording a tribute to M.J or anyone else for that matter are virtually nil. Done it bought the t-shirt as far as that goes.

No. To do so opens her up to receive backlash from her 'haters' who will invent some reason she should not have recorded an MJ song. She, for many years now, has steered away from giving any easy reason for her distracters to jump on the 'negative train.'
    Last edited by jobucats; 11-16-2019 at 12:19 PM.

I say that Diana should not do a tribute to Michael Jackson on her upcoming album. The release of the Leaving Neverland documentary has re-opened so many uncomfortable questions about Michael's life that such a tribute might not work. Heck: we didn't even mark the 50th Anniversary of "I Want You Back" on this forum [[if there was one, I missed it).

No she did not and she was in town! The private one held at Forest Lawn nor the big memorial held at the Staples Center. Berry Gordy and Suzanne DePasse attended. Gladys Knight, Steve Wonder and Smokey Robinson attended the memorial service at the Staples Center along with Lionel Richie.

Diana Ross did two movies with Richard Pryor,but they really became friends when she would visit him after he became "ill" to seek his advice on how to overcome her alcohol and drug addiction. Amazing huh?

In his mind real warped mind Marv2 has full acess to Dianas dianas calendars and diaries. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is highly unlikely to happen. It would not be greeted with universal acclaim if she recorded a musical tribute to him. There are way too many unanswered questions regarding Michael Jackson. It is best to leave such an idea at the starting block.
    I am neither defending or condoning Michael Jackson. I just don't think this would be a good idea.
    100% agree.

I think Diana already got heat for sticking up for MJ.... but...food for thought...she did not speak up for Cosby

In answer to the question 'no'!

I think the tribute she did on her 2010 tour, when MJ’s death was fresh on everyone’s mind, was enough. Maybe a J5 cover would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think Diana already got heat for sticking up for MJ.... but...food for thought...she did not speak up for Cosby
    Why would she speak up for Cosby? Aside from appearing in her ‘71 TV special, what association does she have with him?

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Why would she speak up for Cosby? Aside from appearing in her ‘71 TV special, what association does she have with him?
    Quite a bit, but I'm not going to go there.........

Really, at this point in time. Other than the few on here and a few more in the outside World, who would care what Diana Ross had to said or did about anything? Just being honest.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-17-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Dionne Warwick spoke up for everyone!

Quite a bit, but I'm not going to go there.........

Really, at this point in time. Other than the few on here and a few more in the outside World, who would care what Diana Ross had to said or did about anything? Just being honest.
    Well you appear to be one of the "few"who cares what Diana Ross says or does. You sure as hell post comments about her on an almost daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I say that Diana should not do a tribute to Michael Jackson on her upcoming album. The release of the Leaving Neverland documentary has re-opened so many uncomfortable questions about Michael's life that such a tribute might not work. Heck: we didn't even mark the 50th Anniversary of "I Want You Back" on this forum [[if there was one, I missed it).
    No, no one has done one. I did look for it but no they haven't. The Leaving Neverland doc does make it EXTREMELY hard for the remaining Motown artists still living though to wanna pay any tribute anyway. PLUS, she didn't exactly come out smelling like roses after her tweet about Michael so I doubt she'll record a tribute anyways! LOL

Bet you wished you had never started this particular thread Boogiedown.......
    Actually its quite ok, its interesting to read these responses. Seems like no one is really on the fence about this. She shouldn't do it. There just isn't enough to be gained by such a 'tribute' to Michael, at this point it will just be seen by many as some kind of endorsement of someone who chose to act out some very questionable behaviors which regrettably now overshadow the other aspects of his career.

I guess I was trying to reason why Diana would even want to do an album at this point in her life? Is there a point to it, beyond 'why not'? Maybe its a chance to do a nod toward certain people who along the way impacted her career. Maybe its chance to be a little nostalgic.

Perhaps here is a song that would give her the chance to be reflective and to sort of indirectly acknowledge a certain set of brothers whose performance careers intertwined with hers:

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    The Jackson 5 were featured in the Making of Motown documentary, but sadly nothing else. A planned tribute at the Grammys was nix because of the then upcoming Leaving Neverland series, which pretty much served it’s intended purpose. The MeToo movement has made it a taboo for journalists to show skepticism for people alleging sexual misconduct, which is why mainstream media has been so Anti- Michael lately. Thus, many are choosing to remain quite about the subject.

Actually its quite ok, its interesting to read these responses. Seems like no one is really on the fence about this. She shouldn't do it. There just isn't enough to be gained by such a 'tribute' to Michael, at this point it will just be seen by many as some kind of endorsement of someone who chose to act out some very questionable behaviors which regrettably now overshadow the other aspects of his career.

I guess I was trying to reason why Diana would even want to do an album at this point in her life? Is there a point to it, beyond 'why not'? Maybe its a chance to do a nod toward certain people who along the way impacted her career. Maybe its chance to be a little nostalgic.

Perhaps here is a song that would give her the chance to be reflective and to sort of indirectly acknowledge a certain set of brothers whose performance careers intertwined with hers:

She actually wants to do this album, and her kids [[well two of them) were very keen for her to do it. Had it been up to her she may well nit have bothered, and there is another very good reason to do this album. It's existence will ensure the dreadful "i love you" will not go down in history as being her swansong!

Which 2 kids ?

Hope the album does well for her.
    I would like her to go out with a bang. Not sure what her process is but I hope she finds some great songs...looking forward to it.obviously this will most likely be her last.

I think it was mentioned that she has a 2 album deal. Who knows what may be in store if this comeback continues and those 2 albums are successful.

She actually wants to do this album, and her kids [[well two of them) were very keen for her to do it. Had it been up to her she may well nit have bothered, and there is another very good reason to do this album. It's existence will ensure the dreadful "i love you" will not go down in history as being her swansong!
    I'm guessing the ones anxious in Diana releasing new albums were her two sons Ross and Evan. I know Evan was at least!

I don't expect #1 albums with her career revival but I do hope they're well done albums and finally put a stamp on her musical career. I definitely think she wasn't in the mood when she put out the "I Love You" album and it was a come down from the "Every Day Is a New Day" CD.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Hope the album does well for her.
    I would like her to go out with a bang. Not sure what her process is but I hope she finds some great songs...looking forward to it.obviously this will most likely be her last.
    Her kids are suppose to be writing the songs. It is going to bomb if it ever sees the light of day.

Although this will not be a duet album I can see Rhonda and Diana on a song and even Scherrie and Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Although this will not be a duet album I can see Rhonda and Diana on a song and even Scherrie and Mary.
    Stranger things have happened.

Her kids are suppose to be writing the songs. It is going to bomb if it ever sees the light of day.
    I can only imagine your devastation if the album doesn't "bomb". It will make you even more bitter and twisted than you already are - if that is at all possible!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm guessing the ones anxious in Diana releasing new albums were her two sons Ross and Evan. I know Evan was at least!

I don't expect #1 albums with her career revival but I do hope they're well done albums and finally put a stamp on her musical career. I definitely think she wasn't in the mood when she put out the "I Love You" album and it was a come down from the "Every Day Is a New Day" CD.
    Actually it is Evan and Rhonda, but they are all fully behind the project.

Actually it is Evan and Rhonda, but they are all fully behind the project.
    I did think it was Rhonda but I wasn't too sure.

I can only imagine your devastation if the album doesn't "bomb". It will make you even more bitter and twisted than you already are - if that is at all possible!
    Not possible. Hes the most warped and bitter person to ever post on this here forum.

Sorry, but it's still too soon for MJ.