[REMOVE ADS]

A Worthy Flo Thread

The 60s Supremes recorded a ton of covers, especially when you factor in all the MOR stuff. From what I can tell, the MOR stuff is so great because it lends itself to different interpretations, so the Supremes fit right in that. Of their r&b/pop covers, I think the results varied more than the MOR stuff. There was nice covers like "Put Yourself In My Place" and "The Nitty Gritty". Some bad ones like "My Guy" and the second version of "Heat Wave". But one of the group's best covers IMO is "Aint That Good News". Even with a great cover, like "This Old Heart Of Mine", there aren't too many Supremes covers that I think beat out the original. But "Good News" is an exception. As much as I love Sam Cooke, his version of "Good News" has nothing on the Supremes' version. And the crowning jewel of the Supremes' version is the incomparable Florence Ballard.

So here's the official "Aint That Good News" APPRECIATION thread. Where my "Good News" fans at?

Flo has a distinct voice. This song proves her
    skills as a "R and B" vocalist. Did she ever sing any jazz standards, such as "Round Midnight"?

Ain't That Good News, Buttered Popcorn and Silent Night are my favorite Flo Ballard vocals. Nothing else came close.

This is definitely Flo's shining hour. I was pumping this on the way to work the other day and started "getting happy."

I like the version that was released on the ANTHOLOGY cd from 2001. It has a longer fade and Flo is starting to let it rip.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This is definitely Flo's shining hour. I was pumping this on the way to work the other day and started "getting happy."
    I know what you mean! Too bad Gordy didn't have the Supremes recording any gospel tunes around this time where they were in the studio doing a little bit of everything. Florence would've ripped through some gospel, particularly something uptempo.

It's crazy that when Motown gave her the mic, the intention was to turn Flo into a ballad type of singer most of the time. Few of her leads actually fit her IMO. Flo would've been great on "Itchin In My Heart". Of the MOR stuff she would've been a good fit for "Dixie Melody" or even "I Could Write A Book".

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I like the version that was released on the ANTHOLOGY cd from 2001. It has a longer fade and Flo is starting to let it rip.
    That's my fav version too Reese. Here's hoping that in the event the Sam Cooke album gets an expanded, maybe there's a version of the song without a fade and we get to hear the full Flo letting loose at the end.

I played Flo singing that song over and over when I got that album many years ago. She tore it up!

I like to imagine Florence either doing the originals or covers of songs by Etta James, Ruth Brown and definitely LaVerne Baker. Some of Aretha's early Atlantic cuts would have also sounded great with Flo singing them.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Ain't That Good News, Buttered Popcorn and Silent Night are my favorite Flo Ballard vocals. Nothing else came close.
    They were mine too........but then I heard "O' Holy Night" during the 2002 Holiday season!

Can you imagine Flo doing a standards album, I think she could've definitely aced it during the Motown years.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Can you imagine Flo doing a standards album, I think she could've definitely aced it during the Motown years.
    I could hear her doing "Mr. Big Stuff" done originally by Jean Knight or "Lean on Me" by Melba Moore. She would have killed that one.

Last edited by marv2; 11-11-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I could hear her doing "Mr. Big Stuff" done originally by Jean Knight or "Lean on Me" by Melba Moore. She would have killed that one.

Melba recorded two fine versions of Lean On Me. I think she owns this song. Flo may have been capable of doing this song. We will never know of course, but for me no-one will ever get near Melba in either version, but Aretha did a fine version too. I think Vivian Reed did the original as i recall which is also pretty good.

I like to imagine Florence either doing the originals or covers of songs by Etta James, Ruth Brown and definitely LaVerne Baker. Some of Aretha's early Atlantic cuts would have also sounded great with Flo singing them.
    I could hear Flo doing that stuff, especially Etta's stuff. When Etta wrote in her book that Flo told her that Etta had been an inspiration, I wasn't surprised. I could always hear a similarity in their style. Because Mary compared Flo to Aretha in her book by stating that, like Aretha, Flo would attack a song and make it her own, people took that and ran with it, claiming that Mary said Flo sounded like Aretha Franklin. In an interview Mary once said that Flo reminded her of Etta James. I always thought style wise that was a better "comparison" than with Aretha. Although judging from what Flo did with "Good News" I can hear what Mary was referring to when she said Flo would make a song her own. I wish all the pieces were in place when Flo got to ABC and she were able to do more with the cover versions she recorded over there.

They were mine too........but then I heard "O' Holy Night" during the 2002 Holiday season!
    Yes, "O Holy Night" was another fine vocal moment for Florence. I keep both of her versions of it in constant rotation when the Christmas season starts up.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Particularly if they gave her the uptempo, big band type of stuff. While I was wowed by "People" when it was released on the box set back in 2000, as the years pass I'm less and less impressed with it, aside from the very end of the song with Flo's "Peooooppplllleee" and the girls' harmony. I just don't think it was the best fit for Flo. I might go so far as to say that it should've been a Diana lead from jump.

Flo would've been perfect for "Manhattan"'s lead.

I always said Flo would've been a great fit for "Mr. Big Stuff". What a pity that after Flo was dropped from ABC she chose to focus on fighting Motown [[which she should have fought) and didn't put any effort into seeking another record label because Stax might have served her well. Definitely a better fit for her than ABC proved to be, I think.

I guess "Good News" isn't as appreciated as I hoped it would be. Maybe next time I'll title the thread "What If One Of The Andantes Had Been Allowed To Sing Lead On Good News Instead Of Florence" and see all the folks come out.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I guess "Good News" isn't as appreciated as I hoped it would be. Maybe next time I'll title the thread "What If One Of The Andantes Had Been Allowed To Sing Lead On Good News Instead Of Florence" and see all the folks come out.
    I wouldn't take it personally or seriously. I can only speak for myself but I skipped it assuming it would devolve into a bunch of shitposts just like about every other thread on the sub-forum. Good News has always been in my Supremes playlist and will always be. It shows Flo had great potential.

I always said Flo would've been a great fit for "Mr. Big Stuff". What a pity that after Flo was dropped from ABC she chose to focus on fighting Motown [[which she should have fought) and didn't put any effort into seeking another record label because Stax might have served her well. Definitely a better fit for her than ABC proved to be, I think.
    Stax, Volt or even Westbound and Invictus out of Detroit. I believe two reasons she did not record again for other labels is because of her personal situation and some damage done to her reputation by others. Still Flo would have sounded superb on something like this:

Etta James in 1968:

Oh you'll get TONS of responses then! LOL!!!!

Yes, "O Holy Night" was another fine vocal moment for Florence. I keep both of her versions of it in constant rotation when the Christmas season starts up.
    I have my own personal story, memory of when I first heard Florence's version. It was December 2002, cold as ice out and I was driving around Queens, NY one night. I had the syndicated radio show, "The Motown Show" hosted by Mary Wilson on the radio when Mary announced "thinking about my dear friend Florence Ballard tonight" and then played Florence singing "O' Holy Night". I pulled my car over under the Queensboro Bridge and sat and listened to it. It gave chills it was so good. Same thing happened.when I first played the CD of Florence's "Silent Night" in 1995. It made me immediately wonder, why did it take them over 30 years to release it and why wasn't it on the Supremes "Merry Christmas" album. It was far superior to anything else that was on that album.

I could hear Flo doing that stuff, especially Etta's stuff. When Etta wrote in her book that Flo told her that Etta had been an inspiration, I wasn't surprised. I could always hear a similarity in their style. Because Mary compared Flo to Aretha in her book by stating that, like Aretha, Flo would attack a song and make it her own, people took that and ran with it, claiming that Mary said Flo sounded like Aretha Franklin. In an interview Mary once said that Flo reminded her of Etta James. I always thought style wise that was a better "comparison" than with Aretha. Although judging from what Flo did with "Good News" I can hear what Mary was referring to when she said Flo would make a song her own. I wish all the pieces were in place when Flo got to ABC and she were able to do more with the cover versions she recorded over there.
    Aretha said that she held Florence in high esteem. Florence had a sound that reminded me of a cross between Etta James and Erma Franklin, but ALL Florence Ballard. Whenever I hear Marvin Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness", I get a kick out of how Flo can be heard loud and clear above all the other singers on the background.

Ran Ran. Florence does a great job on “Ain’t that good news”. But it’s just not my style. I never even cared for it by the great Sam Cooke. But the song that stopped me in my tracks by Florence Ballard was “O Holly Night”. This song is so beautiful. I get goosebumps hearing it. The best version by anyone. IMO.

I love this song. One thing I never understood though is why Diana is singing the lower harmony and Mary the top harmony in the background.

I think it's a shame Flo was never groomed and developed as a vocalist. She could go from singing this to People and I think it shows she was versatile as a singer. I also love her Christmas tracks but I love, love, love the versions that were released in 2015 and will never understand for the life of me why those weren't released first.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I wouldn't take it personally or seriously. I can only speak for myself but I skipped it assuming it would devolve into a bunch of shitposts just like about every other thread on the sub-forum. Good News has always been in my Supremes playlist and will always be. It shows Flo had great potential.
    Nah, I think I'll take it personal.

I have my own personal story, memory of when I first heard Florence's version. It was December 2002, cold as ice out and I was driving around Queens, NY one night. I had the syndicated radio show, "The Motown Show" hosted by Mary Wilson on the radio when Mary announced "thinking about my dear friend Florence Ballard tonight" and then played Florence singing "O' Holy Night". I pulled my car over under the Queensboro Bridge and sat and listened to it. It gave chills it was so good. Same thing happened.when I first played the CD of Florence's "Silent Night" in 1995. It made me immediately wonder, why did it take them over 30 years to release it and why wasn't it on the Supremes "Merry Christmas" album. It was far superior to anything else that was on that album.
    I wouldn't say far superior, but Flo's songs would've made the Christmas album even more classic. I still haven't heard Mary's lead on "The Christmas Song" but everyone raved about it. I'm not convinced that Harvey Fuqua didn't want Flo's leads on the album. In the Benjaminson book, Flo says that the tapes were lost. I can believe that because it wasn't until two or so years ago that Mary's Christmas lead was discovered. I would've removed "Born Of Mary" and "Joy To the World" and replaced them with "Silent Night" and "Oh Holy Night". Flo's vocal on "Oh Holy Night" is far superior to "Silent Night" IMO. I'm not as wowed by "Silent Night" as I am "Oh Holy Night".

Aretha said that she held Florence in high esteem. Florence had a sound that reminded me of a cross between Etta James and Erma Franklin, but ALL Florence Ballard. Whenever I hear Marvin Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness", I get a kick out of how Flo can be heard loud and clear above all the other singers on the background.
    Flo was definitely her own singer. She had a style that was popular but she also had a voice that I think had she recorded more leads, people would instantly know that's Flo. Even her background vocals are usually easily identifiable. There's a reason she has received high praise from greats like Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye and Martha Reeves.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Ran Ran. Florence does a great job on “Ain’t that good news”. But it’s just not my style. I never even cared for it by the great Sam Cooke. But the song that stopped me in my tracks by Florence Ballard was “O Holly Night”. This song is so beautiful. I get goosebumps hearing it. The best version by anyone. IMO.
    I'm inclined to agree about "O Holy Night". I have yet to hear a version of the song that wows me like Flo's.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I love this song. One thing I never understood though is why Diana is singing the lower harmony and Mary the top harmony in the background.
    You and me both Floy. It's the one negative criticism I have of the song. [[While I generally criticize the Sam Cooke album for not utilizing the Funk Bros, "Good News" is one of the tracks that the band kicks butt, whoever they are. But I have to wonder how much better "Good News" would've been with the Funks behind Florence.) While Diana is singing her part, Mary sounds like she's shouting instead of singing. Perhaps the producer wanted a more "shouty" background, but I really think even that could've been better achieved with Diana singing over Mary as opposed to the other way around.

I wouldn't say far superior, but Flo's songs would've made the Christmas album even more classic. I still haven't heard Mary's lead on "The Christmas Song" but everyone raved about it. I'm not convinced that Harvey Fuqua didn't want Flo's leads on the album. In the Benjaminson book, Flo says that the tapes were lost. I can believe that because it wasn't until two or so years ago that Mary's Christmas lead was discovered. I would've removed "Born Of Mary" and "Joy To the World" and replaced them with "Silent Night" and "Oh Holy Night". Flo's vocal on "Oh Holy Night" is far superior to "Silent Night" IMO. I'm not as wowed by "Silent Night" as I am "Oh Holy Night".
    But THEY said that Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson were not a part of those Christmas sessions.........only Diana and the Andantes. Diana had to slave over those recordings while the other ladies were off enjoying vacations......hehehehehehehehe!

this song is IMO Flo's most polished and powerful lead vocal. i'm including all of her motown work, live performances, the ABC content. It's a powerhouse song that she is perfect for. she adds sass and fun with her vocal interpretation. she has a chance to belt it at the end.

Many of her other tracks though feel hit or miss to me. It is fortunate that the girls did this concept albums as that seems to be when M and F got at least some time to sing lead. After Where Did Our Love Go, Mary doing Come And Get is about the only non-concept lead

I think People on the There's a Place For Us set is pretty awful, mostly because it's a slow as a funeral dirge and therefore her pitch and tone starts to slip. had they picked it up a little, she probably would have been much stronger.

There are moments on Silent and O Holy that are strong and moments that are less so. some of her pitch suffers, as does her pronunciation. Not saying she's bad, just saying that she should have been given more opportunity to practice, experiment and learn.

If i were to pick tracks within their existing catalog for flo, i'd say: Johnny One Note, Hang On Sloopy, these boots, full lead on Davey Crocket or maybe zip a dee do dah. what now my love.

if i were to pick tracks they didn't record but would have fit Flo well: Santa Baby for the Xmas set, Hey Good Lookin' - great for the CW&P just like Ray did it or maybe Ray's version of Bye Bye Love. From Broadway to Hollywood - I Put My Hand In [[hello dolly) or Mame. Tribute to the girls - At Last,

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    There are moments on Silent and O Holy that are strong and moments that are less so. some of her pitch suffers, as does her pronunciation. Not saying she's bad, just saying that she should have been given more opportunity to practice, experiment and learn.
    Flo is superb on both of those songs in my opinion.

every time I play Rogers and Hart, I just get a feeling that arrangement of Mountain Greenery would have suited Florence....Good News is by far my fav FB performance. I also think she did a superb LIVE vocal on the Eight Days A Week triple lead performance on youtube.