[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685

    Music documentaries on amazon prime

    I was recently searching movies on Amazon Prime and ran into a few interesting titles.

    Tear The Roof Off: The Untold Story of Parliament Funkadelic
    Gospel According To Al Green
    Gil Scott Heron: Black Wax
    Whitney Houston: We Will Always Love You
    Sammy Davis Jr: I Gotta Be Me
    Lady You Shot Me: The Life & Death of Sam Cooke
    Michael Jackson: Chase The Truth
    Free Meek (rapper Meek Mill)
    Paradise Boogie (bluesmen from Detroit's Black Bottom era)

    I will be watching them all.

  2. #2
    Yes Indeed: Amazon Prime has a lot of interesting films to watch. I saw Parliament/Funkadelic's Tear The Roof Off documentary and the other day I ran into That's The Way Of The World* (the 1975 movie featuring Earth, Wind & Fire).

    PS: After watching TTWOTW, I finally see EWF distanced themselves from the film since it's terrible (but seeing The Group in action made it somewhat worthwhile).

  3. #3
    Ahh I got happy then... really wanna watch the Sam Cooke doc.... and then found these are only on the U.S. site.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes Indeed: Amazon Prime has a lot of interesting films to watch. I saw Parliament/Funkadelic's Tear The Roof Off documentary and the other day I ran into That's The Way Of The World* (the 1975 movie featuring Earth, Wind & Fire).

    PS: After watching TTWOTW, I finally see EWF distanced themselves from the film since it's terrible (but seeing The Group in action made it somewhat worthwhile).
    I'll have to watch that. I remember hearing about that years ago TTWOTW

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes Indeed: Amazon Prime has a lot of interesting films to watch. I saw Parliament/Funkadelic's Tear The Roof Off documentary and the other day I ran into That's The Way Of The World* (the 1975 movie featuring Earth, Wind & Fire).

    PS: After watching TTWOTW, I finally see EWF distanced themselves from the film since it's terrible (but seeing The Group in action made it somewhat worthwhile).

    Yes, they certainly distanced themselves from the movie. They even went so far as to not have the words "SOUNDTRACK FROM THE MOTION PICTURE", or any variation, appear on the album.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Ahh I got happy then... really wanna watch the Sam Cooke doc.... and then found these are only on the U.S. site.
    There’s a very good Sam Cooke documentary on Netflix. It’s part of their Remastered series. I learned a lot of new information about Sam that was quite fascinating.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    There’s a very good Sam Cooke documentary on Netflix. It’s part of their Remastered series. I learned a lot of new information about Sam that was quite fascinating.
    I saw the one on Netflix. It was excellent. Also the one on Nina Simone.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I was recently searching movies on Amazon Prime and ran into a few interesting titles.

    Tear The Roof Off: The Untold Story of Parliament Funkadelic
    Gospel According To Al Green
    Gil Scott Heron: Black Wax
    Whitney Houston: We Will Always Love You
    Sammy Davis Jr: I Gotta Be Me
    Lady You Shot Me: The Life & Death of Sam Cooke
    Michael Jackson: Chase The Truth
    Free Meek (rapper Meek Mill)
    Paradise Boogie (bluesmen from Detroit's Black Bottom era)

    I will be watching them all.
    I wouldn't call this one an actual music doc, just a doc based on a musician lol

    Not the same thing. But yeah interesting titles otherwise with the rest of the docs.

    CTT is just some doc about whether or not the Neverland train station existed when one of MJ's victims/accusers (whichever side you're on) claim he was abused at lol it's not really good.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I wouldn't call this one an actual music doc, just a doc based on a musician lol

    Not the same thing. But yeah interesting titles otherwise with the rest of the docs.

    CTT is just some doc about whether or not the Neverland train station existed when one of MJ's victims/accusers (whichever side you're on) claim he was abused at lol it's not really good.
    I watched CTT last night. Didn’t really learn anything I didn’t already know from other LN rebuttals. You can find a bunch of them on YouTube.

    But it did have the guts to do what a lot of them didn’t. Michael himself, started the negative press against him even before the molestation allegations surfaced. He had his PR team concoct the “Elephant Man” and “Sleep Chamber” rumors. This would eventually snowball into the countless “Wacko Jacko” tales that continues to this day. That I have no argument with.

    One MJ doc I saw years ago called Life Of an Icon (which featured our late friend Weldon Arthur McDougall) pretty much set the record straight for me. It too pointed out where Michael was rightfully in the wrong, as well as providing proof of his innocence for his crimes.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Yes, they certainly distanced themselves from the movie. They even went so far as to not have the words "SOUNDTRACK FROM THE MOTION PICTURE", or any variation, appear on the album.
    The words 'Original Soundtrack from the motion picture TTWOTW, Produced & Directed by Sig Shore' do appear on the back cover of the album in fine print (unlike most other soundtrack albums which put those statements on the front cover in big letters). Maurice White had directed Columbia Records to do this after the saw the film & saw how bad it was (he also made sure that the LP came out long before the movie did). EWF did such a great job of distancing themselves from the movie that they had their first LP to top the Soul & Pop charts (and almost no one saw Sig Shore's film).

    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 11-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I watched CTT last night. Didn’t really learn anything I didn’t already know from other LN rebuttals. You can find a bunch of them on YouTube.

    But it did have the guts to do what a lot of them didn’t. Michael himself, started the negative press against him even before the molestation allegations surfaced. He had his PR team concoct the “Elephant Man” and “Sleep Chamber” rumors. This would eventually snowball into the countless “Wacko Jacko” tales that continues to this day. That I have no argument with.

    One MJ doc I saw years ago called Life Of an Icon (which featured our late friend Weldon Arthur McDougall) pretty much set the record straight for me. It too pointed out where Michael was rightfully in the wrong, as well as providing proof of his innocence for his crimes.
    Well at least they gave MJ some blame for starting some of the tabloid stuff about him.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    There’s a very good Sam Cooke documentary on Netflix. It’s part of their Remastered series. I learned a lot of new information about Sam that was quite fascinating.
    Was it "The two killings of Sam Cooke" I've seen it... and yes, was well made.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Well at least they gave MJ some blame for starting some of the tabloid stuff about him.
    And that’s what any documentary is supposed to do. Regardless of the subject, it has to at least try to see things from multiple perspectives.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Was it "The two killings of Sam Cooke" I've seen it... and yes, was well made.
    Yup, that’s the one. Sam Cooke was more radical than most people think. It also delved into some the events that preceded his murder. Definitely makes me believe that there was an orchestrated plot to not only take him out, but to make him a pariah as well. They basically tried to do the same thing to him that they did with MJ decades later.

  15. #15
    Netflix has two good docs on Quincy Jones and The Black Godfather, Clarence Avant.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Netflix has two good docs on Quincy Jones and The Black Godfather, Clarence Avant.
    The Black God Father is a MUST SEE. I'll have to find the other Quincey document.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Netflix has two good docs on Quincy Jones and The Black Godfather, Clarence Avant.
    I recall seeing Listen Up, The Lives of Quincy Jones in the theaters 20 years ago. I enjoyed it greatly and should find time to watch it again. Here it is:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.