[REMOVE ADS]

This Christmas - Diana Ross

I really enjoy Diana Ross's version of "This Christmas". Are there other solo Christmas songs by her from this time period in the vaults?

I hope so. It would seem odd that she would have recorded just that one Christmas song. What year is it from? 73/74?

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I really enjoy Diana Ross's version of "This Christmas". Are there other solo Christmas songs by her from this time period in the vaults?
    I think they would have surfaced by now had there been more canned Christmas tracks. Having said that it seems strange that she recorded just one Christmas song which was then canned. Maybe there had been plans for a Christmas album around this time? I have never heard her mention anything about such a thing, but i shall do my best to find out.

Maybe it was for a Motown Christmas album with songs by various artists, and this was the song she recorded for it.

When this track was released on expanded edition ...it was the only track found this far...wonder who produced it.have to look it up.
    Love it

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Maybe it was for a Motown Christmas album with songs by various artists, and this was the song she recorded for it.
    That is probably the most logical reason, and her version was recorded before it became a Christmas standard. Nowadays it seems to appear on just about everyone's Christmas albums.

I love this version as well; such a nice surprise when it was released on that VA cd.

My Ross wish list includes more Christmas cuts from this time period. I fear "This Christmas" is a one off cut, either for a proposed Diana holiday album or, as Khan suggests, it's for a Motown compilation. If there are more, they either haven't been found yet or they hadn't been found at the time of the release of the Diana 76 expanded edition, because I can't see the guys including "This Christmas" when it was already on another release or the extra mixes of some of the Diana 76 cuts when those spots could have included more Christmas tracks.

But keep hope alive.