[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and The Supremes: "Sing and Perform Funny Girl"

I bought this album as a child, pre-teenager.
    I realize now that the purchase price of the album, from my newspaper route earnings, influenced me to become obessessed with Broadway Musicals!
    Is it true that this album was recorded over a few days?
    Diana Ross' vocal performance on "The Music That Makes Me Dance" is captivating!❤
    Last edited by TNSUN; 11-07-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: error

I believe Diana's vocals were recorded over two days in NYC.

I bought the album as a kid from a Woolworth's $1.99 cut-out bin. I played the first song and turned it off. It wasn't the Diana / Supremes sound I was expecting. It took years but I came to appreciate just how great Diana's performances on the album are. She had come a long way from the teenager singing I WANT A GUY.

from what we've read and from the liner notes in the digital Expanded Edition, it was done very quickly over a couple days

all orchestral tracks were recorded on June 20

lead vocals were recorded on June 22 and 23

group vocals were recorded on June 22 and 23

additional backing vocals were recorded on July 8 and 10

the first song was a dud...."People" was the only song I knew at the time. I loved that 2nd side....the only one I remember liking on side 1 was "If A Girl Isn't Pretty"..still, to this day hate the song "Don't Rain On My Parade"...its right up there with "Time and Love" and "Love The One Your With" as songs I hate by anyone..I'm thankful they never tackled "Saturday In The Park"! Lol!

Funny Girl has never been a favorite show of mine, regardless of the performers. I certainly get that Berry and Diana wanted people to make the parallel connection between Barbra and Diana. And it is enjoyable to hear them tackle an entire show. it's just not a show i'm that fascinated by

the version on the EE with just DMC is most definitely my fav

possibly they could have done Hair. that would have been far more contemporary for them to tackle.

I was fond of Corner Man. A few songs were ok but an entire album.not needed

I think Diana excels on this album. Her enjoyment in recording these songs shines through and her voice takes flight. It was a brave undertaking to try and out Streisand the lady herself. I can understand why some fans who are not really into this genre of music not liking it, but i personally consider it a superb accomplishment.

Ollie
    I would agree.ross is in top form. I just would have preferred an entire Broadway album n not just FG songs. Seemed wrong to me.like calling a Supremes lp after Fifth Dimension song.strange.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Ollie
    I would agree.ross is in top form. I just would have preferred an entire Broadway album n not just FG songs. Seemed wrong to me.like calling a Supremes lp after Fifth Dimension song.strange.
    Funny Girl is one of my absolute favorites, but I can imagine it being a bit of a head scratcher at the time of its initial release. And I agree with you about that Fifth Dimension title. Really strange. If NMWSYA was no longer considered an acceptable title, why not Let The Music Play or Compositions [[The Composer)...

I get it, this was just a way for BG to prove to the world that the Supremes were more than just an R & B group. He knew this would bomb with certain fans but he was reaching and experimenting and exploring. To be honest I would have never heard of FUNNY GIRL had it not been for this album. I remember the Supremes singing Cornet Man on TV around this time but I can't remember if it was Ed Sullivan or something else. They wore the short mini skirts [[dress).

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I get it, this was just a way for BG to prove to the world that the Supremes were more than just an R & B group. He knew this would bomb with certain fans but he was reaching and experimenting and exploring. To be honest I would have never heard of FUNNY GIRL had it not been for this album. I remember the Supremes singing Cornet Man on TV around this time but I can't remember if it was Ed Sullivan or something else. They wore the short mini skirts [[dress).
    That was a Bob Hope special.

As a kid, I had never heard of FUNNY GIRL. I just thought it was a cute title for an album. I did know I AM WOMAN because it had been on the Copa album. I also knew DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE because Diana sang it on her first solo tv special.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That was a Bob Hope special.

As a kid, I had never heard of FUNNY GIRL. I just thought it was a cute title for an album. I did know I AM WOMAN because it had been on the Copa album. I also knew DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE because Diana sang it on her first solo tv special.
    Thanks Reese I could not remember what show it was.