[REMOVE ADS]

M People / Renaissance 11-disc box set released feb 14,2020

9CD+2DVD box set • Signed edition available • Albums, remixes & rarities
    Demon Music will release Renaissance, an 11-disc M People career-spanning box set in February that features albums, remixes, rarities and two DVDs. An exclusive limited edition with a signed print is also available.

M People won two BRIT awards and a Mercury Prize and released four studio albums, the last being Fresco in 1998. All of them are included, newly remastered, in this new box set and each comes with a bonus disc of remixes. The ninth CD in the package is an exclusive bonus disc of remixes by Frankie knuckles and David Morales.

Fantastic band, saw them live in Amsterdam once at the Paradiso.
    Have all their cd and cd-singles, will still get this!

Name:  M-People-boxset_spread-480x480.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  39.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    9CD+2DVD box set • Signed edition available • Albums, remixes & rarities
    Demon Music will release Renaissance, an 11-disc M People career-spanning box set in February that features albums, remixes, rarities and two DVDs. An exclusive limited edition with a signed print is also available.

M People won two BRIT awards and a Mercury Prize and released four studio albums, the last being Fresco in 1998. All of them are included, newly remastered, in this new box set and each comes with a bonus disc of remixes. The ninth CD in the package is an exclusive bonus disc of remixes by Frankie knuckles and David Morales.

Fantastic band, saw them live in Amsterdam once at the Paradiso.
    Have all their cd and cd-singles, will still get this!

Name:  M-People-boxset_spread-480x480.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  39.0 KB
    Heather Small is a former neighbour of mine way back in the late 90's and early noughties. She was a lovely down to earth lady. I recall her accompanying me to a Diana Ross show where i introduced her to Diana.
    Diana had never heard of M People but graciously accepted a couple of cd's from Heather. Happy memories!

Hey Bluebrock, I am jealous!
    I read somewhere that the group did not end as friends, Heather was not interviewed for the box set.
    Do you remember her solo hit: Proud?

Pretty impressive release for a group I have never heard of in my life. The best news of all is that someone will still be releasing CDs in 2020. There is hope yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey Bluebrock, I am jealous!
    I read somewhere that the group did not end as friends, Heather was not interviewed for the box set.
    Do you remember her solo hit: Proud?
    Yes i do recall her solo hit proud and the album that went with it.
    I haven't seen her for years, but i know there was considerable friction within the band during the latter years.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Pretty impressive release for a group I have never heard of in my life. The best news of all is that someone will still be releasing CDs in 2020. There is hope yet!!!
    M People were pretty big in the UK and Europe in the 90's. I think they did visit the USA a few times, but never made a concerted effort to break that market. Heather has a very distinctive voice that you either like or you don't. Check them out.

Good advice: you can start with Crimson Gold presents M people 'Gold', the only M people compilation you'll ever need. M people became one of the worlds biggest dance and pop groups from the 1990s, selling more than 11 million Records, 2 BRIT awards and a Mercury Prize. Featuring the unmistakable voice of heather small joining Paul heard, Shovel and founder Mike pickering. This 3CD collection is a definitive career spanning set including famous remixes and dance tracks. The 'Gold' Collection includes 42 tracks, including all their 20 top 40 singles. CD1 includes 9 of their top 10 singles; 'moving on up', 'one night in Heaven', 'sight for sore eyes', 'search for a hero', 'just for you' CD2 includes further favourites 'renaissance' And 'natural thing' Cd 3 features remixes and club mixes.

Wow, I had no idea that they had recorded so much music. "Movin' On Up" was a club classic.

As Bluebrock said, it does seem many people either like Heather Small's singing voice, or they don't.

I'm one who loves the very distinctive quality of Heather Small's voice.

It possesses a low, contralto tone. Warm, throaty and mellifluous, which draws me in.

What I have seen of her in the media, Heather Small does seem to be a lovely, caring lady.

That said, I do often have a problem with her enunciation of the song lyrics, even though my hearing still seems pretty good in all ranges, and without any use of aids.

I wonder if that may have any indirect effect on the opinion of some others, without them always being fully aware of the reason. The message in at least some of the lyrics is perhaps not being fully received and understood.

Went to see Heather live for first time in Salisbury last year.

Her voice was, to my ears, mixed too low in the sound balance. You could hear the voice and melody, but the lyrics were unclear, even though I already knew them.

Worse still, even when sat well back in the theatre, the bass was so loud and distorted, that the reverberation was being transmitted from the floor up through our bodies.

Gave Heather 30 minutes, and then had to concede defeat and leave, after 'Search For The Hero' started fine, but crashed again into a wall of muddy, distorted sound.

A real disappointment, as it seemed preventable, but still hope to try Heather again sometime. And am likely to buy this set.