[REMOVE ADS]

Crimson Productions 3 CD "Gold" Series

We recently discussed the Kiki Dee collection and I see now that a Bay City Rollers has just come out. While that will not likely interest the average soul fan [[at least not this one!) it does make you hope that they will continue to put these out since the concept works well and the price is so cheap.

Any idea what others are out there in this series or what might be in the pipeline for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    We recently discussed the Kiki Dee collection and I see now that a Bay City Rollers has just come out. While that will not likely interest the average soul fan [[at least not this one!) it does make you hope that they will continue to put these out since the concept works well and the price is so cheap.

Any idea what others are out there in this series or what might be in the pipeline for the future?
    I have collections by Shalamar, Chairman of the Board, Jackie Wilson and Labi Siffre in this series of super value compilations as well as the Kiki Dee collection of course. I have seen a few others too including Five Star and Mungo Jerry which don't interest me personally, but they seem to be coming out on a fairly regular basis so i am hopeful of seeing a few other essential collections being released in the coming months.
    I don't know who is behind this diverse series, but i applaud them whoever they may be.

This series comes from the Demon Music Group in the UK. It's a new series and some of the titles have been out as recent as the last couple of weeks, so I'm sure it is possible they will release more of these Gold compilations on other artists, if it does well. The price is right for the amount of tracks these comps are offering. Here is a link to their catalogue. If you search for Gold in the search box, you will be able to see the other titles in the series.

https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue

Have the Gold releases included tracks not on CD before?

Thanks for the link Carlo! Very helpful.

As I said, I hope they keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Have the Gold releases included tracks not on CD before?
    Not that i am aware of smallworld. The ones i own contain no previously unreleased tracks, but i can only speak for the ones that i own.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This series comes from the Demon Music Group in the UK. It's a new series and some of the titles have been out as recent as the last couple of weeks, so I'm sure it is possible they will release more of these Gold compilations on other artists, if it does well. The price is right for the amount of tracks these comps are offering. Here is a link to their catalogue. If you search for Gold in the search box, you will be able to see the other titles in the series.

Thank you for that Carlo. Most helpful.

And speaking of Crimson UK, they have this collection coming up this month:

The Village People "Gold" budget 3CD set [[Crimson UK) - 11/15/2019

Crimson Gold presents Village People 'Gold', the only Village People compilation you'll ever need. The Village People were a phenomenon and one of the most successful pop groups of the late-1970s, selling tens of millions of records worldwide, charting one of the all-time top 40 best-selling singles. They were known for their catchy tunes, on-stage costumes and suggestive lyrics but they transcended all barriers. They simply released great pop records! This 3CD 'Gold' collection is a definitive career spanning set from 1977, containing 44 tracks, including the global multi-million selling monster hit 'Y.M.C.A.'.

CD1 includes their massive hits 'Y.M.C.A.', 'In The Navy', 'Go West', 'Can't Stop The Music', along with popular album tracks.

CD2 includes further international hits 'Macho Man', 'San Francisco [[You Got Me)', 'Ready For The 80s' and 'Sex Over The Phone'.

CD3 features extended versions, a megamix and later remixes.

Tracklist
    [CD1]
    1. Y.M.C.A.
    2. In The Navy
    3. Go West
    4. I'm A Cruiser
    5. In Hollywood [[Everybody Is A Star)
    6. Can't Stop The Music
    7. New York City
    8. Sleazy
    9. Action Man
    10. Liberation
    11. Fireman
    12. 5 O'Clock In The Morning
    13. Jungle City
    14. Fire Island
    15. Hot Cop
    16. I Wanna Shake Your Hand

[CD2]
    1. Village People
    2. Macho Man
    3. San Francisco [[You've Got Me)
    4. Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
    5. I Am What I Am
    6. Ready For The '80s
    7. Magic Night
    8. Sex Over The Phone
    9. Y.M.C.A. '93 Remix
    10. Can't Stop The Music '93 Remix
    11. Key West
    12. America
    13. [[Do You Wanna) Spend The Night
    14. Fox On The Box
    15. Play Bach
    16. We Want You [[Megamix 98)

[CD3]
    1. Y.M.C.A. [12" Version]
    2. America [12" Version Vocal Mix]
    3. Go West [Full Remix '97]
    4. In The Navy [12" Version]
    5. Macho Man [[12" Version]
    6. Megamix [Extended Version] Y.M.C.A. / In The Navy / San Francisco [[You've Got Me) / Macho Man / Can't Stop The Music
    7. 5 O'Clock In The Morning [Club Edit Remix]
    8. Sex Over The Phone [12" Dub Remix]
    9. Get Away Holiday [Disco Mix]
    10. San Francisco [[You've Got Me) [From San Francisco To Disco Vocal Remix]
    11. Everybody Loves The Funk
    12. Y.M.C.A. [Millennium Mix]
    Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z9T3JJC/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z9T3JJC/?tag=imwan-21

Agreed! These collections from Demon's Crimson label are inexpensive & cover a lot of ground on the artists they do their compilations on. I sincerely hope they do one for Rufus & Chaka Khan.

I just read that the Shalamar set sounds terrible!

next release is MPeople!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post

next release is MPeople!
    Did it specify any particular tracks? Nothing hit me when I played my copy. It was only a fiver though so I wasn't expecting the earth to move😁

I have the Shalamar collection. I only played it once and then filed it away. But I don't recall anything negative about the sound quality.

Meanwhile I see that someone has posted that an upcoming release in this series will be The Village People. Interesting choice but I will likely pass on it because when you think about it, they only had a very few legitimate hits in a relatively short time and the track list provided looks like it is rather repetitious. For the most part I HATE buying a CD and seeing four or five versions of the same song. Give me variety and depth!!!

On the Village People CD's, I wish they would put In Hollywood after San Francisco as they were really a continuous medley when originally released - and that's how it was played in the discos. It always irritates me that they split them up on collections.
    Last edited by thommg; 11-05-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: clarity

next release is MPeople!
    Mine sounds okay Jack. Any particular tracks that you know of?

I have the Shalamar collection. I only played it once and then filed it away. But I don't recall anything negative about the sound quality.

Meanwhile I see that someone has posted that an upcoming release in this series will be The Village People. Interesting choice but I will likely pass on it because when you think about it, they only had a very few legitimate hits in a relatively short time and the track list provided looks like it is rather repetitious. For the most part I HATE buying a CD and seeing four or five versions of the same song. Give me variety and depth!!!
    They weren't really that prolific were they? I would imagine this collection contains most of their recorded work. The remixes are probably there to round out a 3 cd collection.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    On the Village People CD's, I wish they would put In Hollywood after San Francisco as they were really a continuous medley when originally released - and that's how it was played in the discos. It always irritates me that they split them up on collections.
    I never knew that. That is indeed a pity.

"the new cd set “Shalamar GOLD” is the complete evidence of how bad a collection can be. the 3 cd set is full of vinyl noises, lousy “remastering” and vinyl clicks. it should renamed to “Shalamar GARBAGE”. my original 12” vinyls sounds better than this “remastered” tracks"
    Comment on Superdeluxedition:
    https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/m-people-rennaisance-11-disc-box-set/

BTW: I got the Kiki Dee set which sounds fine by me and have ordered the Mpeople set.
    Last edited by jack020; 11-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

Yes, thanks! I do have Demon's Freda Payne Invictus set but bought it from another site so I was not aware of the depth of their catalog.

"the new cd set “Shalamar GOLD” is the complete evidence of how bad a collection can be. the 3 cd set is full of vinyl noises, lousy “remastering” and vinyl clicks. it should renamed to “Shalamar GARBAGE”. my original 12” vinyls sounds better than this “remastered” tracks"
    Comment on Superdeluxedition:
    https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/m-people-rennaisance-11-disc-box-set/

BTW: I got the Kiki Dee set which sounds fine by me and have ordered the Mpeople set.
    I've just given disc one a quick spin on random play. Admittedly it's not mind blowingly spacious and opens my ears to previously unheard treasure😆. That'd be a tall order anyway much as I love Shalamar. I've certainly not heard any clicks. This was five quid and far from terrible at that price. Thanks for the link though. Always interesting to hear other people's reviews. Must be a nightmare for companies trying to market this stuff and make a profit at the same time.