[REMOVE ADS]

Cool RCA Debut........Fans choice

If you had the choice, which ten rca recordings would fans select to represent that first album in 81.. Mine would be....

1. Chain Reaction
    2. Oh Teacher
    3. Missing You
    4. Shine
    5. Hard For Me To Say

6. Swept Away [[single version)
    7. Telephone
    8. Love Will Make It Right
    9. Pieces Of Ice
    10.Summertime

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    If you had the choice, which ten rca recordings would fans select to represent that first album in 81.. Mine would be....

1. Chain Reaction
    2. Oh Teacher
    3. Missing You
    4. Shine
    5. Hard For Me To Say

6. Swept Away [[single version)
    7. Telephone
    8. Love Will Make It Right
    9. Pieces Of Ice
    10.Summertime
    Good choices but i would replace pieces of ice with either Love Lies or Crimes of Passion
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 11-02-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Not finished the post

i just go with the Eaten Alive set without the title track . i think ...there were 2 out take
    I think I would have released Chain Reaction in sept and then Crimes of Passion in dec , followed by Im Watching you or I Love Being In Love early 82.
    then Why do fools,mirror, dirty looks. by 83 , Swept Away n Ross lp combined
    Last edited by daviddh; 11-03-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Ollie, interesting topic. I don't think I can approach your question using the criteria of tracks from post Fools Fall In Love albums because of the way music changed from the second album to the last. However, what I will do is compose an album of songs from the original Fools album along with songs done by other artists that I think Diana's take may have been interesting to hear.

Sweet Surrender
    Mirror, Mirror
    It's Never Too Late
    Think I'm In Love
    Work That Body

There Goes My Baby...done in an uptempo funky vibe
    Silly...by Deniece Williams
    Very Special...by Debra Laws
    Out Here On My Own...from Fame
    You Can't Turn Me Away...by Sylvia Striplin

Why do fools fall in love
    Sweet surrender
    Mirror mirror
    So close
    I am me
    Who
    Love lies
    Anywhere you run to
    Still in love
    Endless love

Missing you
    That's how you start over
    Love will make it right
    You do it
    Swept away
    Let's go up
    Love or loneliness
    All of you
    Touch by touch
    Pieces of ice

Muscles
    Stranger in paradise
    Shine
    Summertime
    Dirty looks
    Selfish one
    There goes my baby
    Cross my heart
    Hard for me to say
    Telephone

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Muscles
    Stranger in paradise
    Shine
    Summertime
    Dirty looks
    Selfish one
    There goes my baby
    Cross my heart
    Hard for me to say
    Telephone
    I would switch Touch by Touch n Telephone on the two albums

I agree with Ran - the sounds and styles of the music on Ross, Swept, Chain and even Red Hot are not what was happening in 81.

I think the option of merging Why and Silk would have worked better

Why Do Fools
    Anywhere you run to
    Sweet Surrender
    Mirror Mirror
    Who
    Still in love

Muscles
    Who
    Love lies
    It's never too late
    Sweet Nothings
    I am me

^
    I disagree about the musical timeline. When you consider some of the music acts that were charting around 81/82, Hall & Oates, The Pointer Sisters, Michael Jackson etc,.... Kids From Fame lol i think all of the songs i listed fit right in.
    "Chain Reaction" is almost classic motown and the ballads are indeed timeless.
    Even "Pieces Of Ice" is not that dissimilar to some of the songs the P.S were recording.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Ollie, interesting topic. I don't think I can approach your question using the criteria of tracks from post Fools Fall In Love albums because of the way music changed from the second album to the last. However, what I will do is compose an album of songs from the original Fools album along with songs done by other artists that I think Diana's take may have been interesting to hear.

Sweet Surrender
    Mirror, Mirror
    It's Never Too Late
    Think I'm In Love
    Work That Body

There Goes My Baby...done in an uptempo funky vibe
    Silly...by Deniece Williams
    Very Special...by Debra Laws
    Out Here On My Own...from Fame
    You Can't Turn Me Away...by Sylvia Striplin
    Interesting that you included "Silly" on your list Ran. I love this song and played Williams MY Melody album to death way back when. Seems so long ago now lol.
    Now if only Diana had made her rca debut with an album such as that.

Interesting that you included "Silly" on your list Ran. I love this song and played Williams MY Melody album to death way back when. Seems so long ago now lol.
    Her early 80's albums were indeed excellent .Tom Bell would have been a great fit for Diana, but his sound was already deemed as somewhat outdated by this time. Not by me i might add, but his sound was most certainly a 70's sound rather than an 80's sound.
    At least we have Niecy's albums to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Her early 80's albums were indeed excellent .Tom Bell would have been a great fit for Diana, but his sound was already deemed as somewhat outdated by this time. Not by me i might add, but his sound was most certainly a 70's sound rather than an 80's sound.
    At least we have Niecy's albums to enjoy.
    I agree, there really was some great stuff on those albums. I think a couple of Tom Bell produced songs would have made a welcome addition to WDFFIL. "Silly" in particular has always been a great fave of mine.
    Having said that, i think Tom or anyone would have had their hands full producing Diana at that point in time.....................Alas.

I agree, there really was some great stuff on those albums. I think a couple of Tom Bell produced songs would have made a welcome addition to WDFFIL. "Silly" in particular has always been a great fave of mine.
    Having said that, i think Tom or anyone would have had their hands full producing Diana at that point in time.....................Alas.
    Yes they would! I pitied anyone who got in her way! She wanted to make herself a very rich lady which she did with a vengence. The music came a poor 2nd...

I'm a HUGE Deniece Williams fan [[despite the fact that I usually can't tolerate female singers with such high voices, Jean Terrell being another anomaly) so it's hard to hear anyone other than she singing "Silly". However, I think it would've been interesting to hear Ross' take on it. She is such a great ballad singer, so I figure "Silly" would be right up her alley. I wonder if she likes the song at all?

After the Chic album, I really would've liked to hear Diana get into some more funky tunes. She stepped her hip game up with that album. "Mirror, Mirror" and "Work That Body" were signs of what could have been. If she wasn't going to step it up in that direction some more, then mellowing out with a producer like Lionel Richie would've been acceptable.

Just here to say that no one could have sung “Silly” but Denise Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Just here to say that no one could have sung “Silly” but Denise Williams.
    Anyone fond of Patti LaBelle's rendition?

Last edited by sansradio; 11-05-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Anyone fond of Patti LaBelle's rendition?

I like it but not to the extent of the original which is an absolute classic.

Yeah, I agree. Valiant stab by Miss Patti-Patti, but Niecy owns this.

Agree. Good version, but not as good as M's Williams. Another Niecy song i think would have really been up Diana's street is "My Melody".