[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Mother Dear

Mother Dear

ok - here's one we've never really discussed much

Mother Dear!

so we have 3 version of the song [[plus the 3rd actually has a couple versions with altered bg vocals). So clearly HDH and trying to figure out if it could be a single

what are your thoughts? My fav version is the final one. so fun and danceable

should they have released it instead of Nothing?

I like the original MORE HITS version as well as the uptempo later version. But I don't think either should have been a single release.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I like the original MORE HITS version as well as the uptempo later version. But I don't think either should have been a single release.
    Agree on both counts. I really like it but it never sounded like a major hit to me.

think it would have done better than Nothing But Heartaches? that wasn't a particularly huge hit either. Sure #11 is respectable but agree it was a let down after 5 #1 in a row

I like the original version on the album.
    But I don't think it was a single. I prefer nothing but heartaches.one of my favorites

I like the original version from the album well above any of the other versions. Version 2 was nice except for the exaggerated pronunciation of the word "deah" by Mary and Florence. Version 3 [[it's rhythmic pattern) was much too jerky for my tastes. These are just my opinions. Released as a single instead of "Nothing But Heartaches"? My opinion is that it would have done just as well on the charts and maybe even higher.

Mother Dear is a phenomenal R&B song and thankfully not pop. Should have went with this and Nothing But Heartaches. Why choose only one?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    think it would have done better than Nothing But Heartaches? that wasn't a particularly huge hit either. Sure #11 is respectable but agree it was a let down after 5 #1 in a row
    Not sure. It might have done just as well as NBH. I think MOTHER DEAR is a very very strong album track. But it doesn't have the uniqueness of I HEAR A SYMPHONY, which to me, screams "hit."

I've always liked the original Mother Dear on More Hits, as much as I liked Nothing But Heartaches. Back in 1965, I thought MD could have been a bigger hit than NBH, but not so much now. Now I think a polished version of the alternate NBH on the More Hits EE, with the amazing instrumental break, might have been the best choice for the third single.
    I don't care much for the other two versions of Mother Dear, but the third version is growing on me.

The 3rd version [[on the expanded edition) is my fav by far. I love that cut and wish it had made the original A Go Go album. I've never cared for the first version. A bit too pop for my usual taste. I do like the second version but it doesn't sound finished to me.

I think the first version may have gone top 10 off the strength of the name Supremes, but I don't think it would've wowed anyone. Sitting in QC I can definitely imagine "Heartaches" beating out "Mother" easily. "Heartaches" stalled outside the pop top 10 [[made #6 r&b though). Sometimes great songs don't go all the way. Sometimes there's an obvious reason for it, other times not. I think "Heartaches" was just a staller. It's still a classic.

I think the 3rd version may have also gone top 10 but I'm not convinced it would've hit number one.

Mother Dear from More Hits was a #1 after Back In My Arms Again, hands down. You guys must be hearing something I'm not. That intro alone made you pay attention and it was a pop song. I never had any doubt even back then I thought why was this not released then to find out years later it almost was. A winner! Also listen to the beginning of this and I Hear A Symphony and you hear the same riff. HDH were phenomenal.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 11-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.

according to Randy's book, Nothing was scheduled to be performed on Ed Sullivan but the air time for the girls was cut and they could only do 1 of their 2 songs. So they went with You're Nobody.

In addition, on 2 tv shows they did Mother Dear rather than Nothing - Dean Martin and Skelton. although both aired later than when they taped. But these might have helped spur on more sales of Nothing

I do think Nothing is a bit heavy. it's sort of non-stop and maybe an instrumental break or bridge might have helped the song structure a little. give listeners a moment to breath

Nothing But Heartaches is CLASSIC Supremes and CLASSIC Motown.

I think they were just trying to squeeze a fourth single out of More Hits.
    “Mother Dear” was given some test-plays in local markets, and the group performed it on a couple of TV shows, but it didn’t fare well.
    In my locality, [[Richmond, Virginia) even “Honey Boy” was test-spun a few times, but neither number had what it took.
    “Symphony” came barreling in after a few months and that was a much better move.
    “Mother Dear” would not have hit the top, and would have stalled the group’s momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Mother Dear from More Hits was a #1 after Back In My Arms Again, hands down. You guys must be hearing something I'm not. That intro alone made you pay attention and it was a pop song. I never had any doubt even back then I thought why was this not released then to find out years later it almost was. A winner! Also listen to the beginning of this and I Hear A Symphony and you hear the same riff. HDH were phenomenal.
    IMO "Mother Dear" lacks the punch of the first five #1's. They were truly special. I think that no matter what the Supremes released after "Back" it would've gone at least top 20/top 15. But to make a sixth #1, "Heartaches" has a sound that I think makes it easy to hear the possibilities, which is why most people seem to be shocked at it stalling outside the top 10 pop. "Mother Dear" lacks the excitement that I think would've propelled it to the top.

Mother Dear from More Hits was the most played album track on radio from any Supremes album. Would have hit #1 no question.

I think Mother Dear" might have gone top 20. One album track that has always stood out for me as having single potential was "The Only Time I'm Happy". Not as classic a sound as the previous no 1's, but a solid pop song all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ok - here's one we've never really discussed much

Mother Dear!

so we have 3 version of the song [[plus the 3rd actually has a couple versions with altered bg vocals). So clearly HDH and trying to figure out if it could be a single

what are your thoughts? My fav version is the final one. so fun and danceable

should they have released it instead of Nothing?
    I Love the First version of The Supremes' "Mother Dear" and I feel it would've made a better A-side than "Nothing But Heartaches [[which is still a favorite and could've been the B-side of "Mother Dear").

Wasn't part of the reason Mother Dear was canned as a single was because it was trialled on The Red Skelton Show and didn't go down that well with the audience?

It was never "on trial". Singles were usually released and soon after performed on one of the variety shows for promotion. It was intended to be released and then pulled in favor of Nothing But Heartaches. The Skelton show was the best performance if you can find a decent quality clip of it.

they did Mother on Red and on Dean Martin

these shows were recorded months ahead of their air date. so at the time, they were probably still contemplating Mother as a potential single. The show was aired in Jan 66 though.