[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Tina Turner on Her Journey to Broadway

    Tina Turner appeared on the second cover of ‘Rolling Stone’ on November 23rd, 1967 — the first frontwoman in the publication’s history. Now ‘Tina,’ the musical based on her life and music, opens on Broadway November 7th. In anticipation of the queen of rock & roll’s Broadway debut, Turner — who turns 80 years old on November 26th — penned this personal essay for ‘Rolling Stone’.

    Read more here:

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tina-turner-musical-broadway-essay-906671/

  2. #2
    Great message from Tina!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Tina Turner appeared on the second cover of ‘Rolling Stone’ on November 23rd, 1967 — the first frontwoman in the publication’s history. Now ‘Tina,’ the musical based on her life and music, opens on Broadway November 7th. In anticipation of the queen of rock & roll’s Broadway debut, Turner — who turns 80 years old on November 26th — penned this personal essay for ‘Rolling Stone’.

    Read more here:

    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tina-turner-musical-broadway-essay-906671/

    Wonderful. What a lady. I wonder if Tina still has the roses I handed her at The Empire Room of the Waldorf Astoria (one of the final Revue bookings) in '76? I'm sure she does!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Wonderful. What a lady. I wonder if Tina still has the roses I handed her at The Empire Room of the Waldorf Astoria (one of the final Revue bookings) in '76? I'm sure she does!
    Oh I am sure she does . I did not know that the Revue appeared at the Waldorf's Empire Room. The only time that I saw them was at some club in either Queens or Long Island. When the show began, there were no chairs, and everyone sat on the floor to watch the show. Thankfully, we were in the front row.

    Recently saw the Tina Turner musical on Broadway and enjoyed it too

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Oh I am sure she does . I did not know that the Revue appeared at the Waldorf's Empire Room. The only time that I saw them was at some club in either Queens or Long Island. When the show began, there were no chairs, and everyone sat on the floor to watch the show. Thankfully, we were in the front row.

    Recently saw the Tina Turner musical on Broadway and enjoyed it too
    Tell us more about Broadway! I'll be seeing the show before too long. And yes, I&TT at the Waldorf was somewhat ... surreal ... after Carnegie, the Beacon, etc! Was your Q/LI event just before the end? They were booked at a low-rent club in NJ, The Joint in the Woods, but it was cancelled. This would have taken place just after the sad (but necessary) limo fight. Be well!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Tell us more about Broadway! I'll be seeing the show before too long. And yes, I&TT at the Waldorf was somewhat ... surreal ... after Carnegie, the Beacon, etc! Was your Q/LI event just before the end? They were booked at a low-rent club in NJ, The Joint in the Woods, but it was cancelled. This would have taken place just after the sad (but necessary) limo fight. Be well!
    Surreal is a good word. I saw Diana and Mathis and a couple of others at the Empire Room and probably was in a suit and tie. I can't imagine I&TT appearing in front of such a buttoned down audience. They were great at that place in Q/LI. That was probably in the mid sevenites. It may have been a dance club. I don't dance, so my purpose was just to see the show.

    I go to Broadway shows to enjoy them, not to critique them. I did enjoy this show and one thing that was nice is that even though this could be labelled as a Juke Box musical, I liked how they made a few songs part of the book to move the story along. However, they weren't chronologically correct. For instance, LETS STAY TOGETHER was sung during the I&TT era of the show, but it was used as part of the story.

    Another nice thing about the show is that after it was over and bows were taken and the audience was still on their feet, "Tina Turner" gave a little mini-concert. The audience stayed on their feet joining in, swaying and clapping along. The broadway audience transposed itself into a concert audience.

    Hope you enjoy show as much as I did

  7. #7
    They did that for a reason to tell the story within the song even if it wasn't what happened biographically. It's a clever concept! They do that with all the jukebox musicals actually.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.