[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross RCA Greatest Hits album

the "Selfish One" thread has been lots of fun. the RCA years always bring forth interesting dialog!

So if you were to issue a typical GH lp for her RCA years, what would it be?

pick 12 tracks - can be the top hits or singles, album tracks, favs, etc.

Mirror Mirror
    Muscles
    Who
    Anywhere you run to
    All of you
    Missing you
    love will make it right
    Teacher
    There goes my baby
    Selfish one
    experience
    touch by touch

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the "Selfish One" thread has been lots of fun. the RCA years always bring forth interesting dialog!

Mirror Mirror
    Muscles
    Who
    Anywhere you run to
    All of you
    Missing you
    love will make it right
    Teacher
    There goes my baby
    Selfish one
    experience
    touch by touch
    I like all your choices with the exception of There Goes My Baby. I would rather have given it some careful thought before deciding but here goes.
    Mirror Mirror
    Love Lies
    Love will make it right
    That's how you start over
    Touch by touch
    Missing You
    All of you
    Crimes of passion
    Oh Teacher
    Summertime
    It's hard for me to say
    Cross my heart.

That was tough! Great thread Sup Fan.

hmm - it depends how you are defining Greatest Hits.

Why Do Fools Fall in Love
    Mirror, Mirror
    Work That Body
    Muscles
    Pieces of Ice
    All of You
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Telephone
    Eaten Alive
    Chain Reaction
    Dirty Looks

Not much imagination, I know. But each track was at least a Top 20 hit on the Pop and/or R&B chart in the US or UK.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    hmm - it depends how you are defining Greatest Hits.
    feel free to define as you wish. I went ahead and defined as "my fav 12 tracks"

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Why Do Fools Fall in Love
    Mirror, Mirror
    Work That Body
    Muscles
    Pieces of Ice
    All of You
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Telephone
    Eaten Alive
    Chain Reaction
    Dirty Looks

Not much imagination, I know. But each track was at least a Top 20 hit on the Pop and/or R&B chart in the US or UK.
    actually i think it's a great list. I like pretty all of the songs too. What's interesting is seeing, when limited to 12 songs, what people keep and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I like all your choices with the exception of There Goes My Baby. I would rather have given it some careful thought before deciding but here goes.
    Mirror Mirror
    Love Lies
    Love will make it right
    Touch by touch
    Missing You
    All of you
    Crimes of passion
    Oh Teacher
    Summertime
    It's hard for me to say
    Cross my heart.

That was tough! Great thread Sup Fan.
    yeah - as much as fans deride her RCA period, there is most definitely some quality music. I completely forgot about Summertime. Might have to go back and redo my list!! I also struggled with which track from Ross. I do really like Love will make it and That's how. although i decided to bump That's How because it's such an energetic track and ross doesn't match it as well as she could have. She does a "good" job on it and she could/should have done a "Great" job. it's perfectly in her vocal range

yeah - as much as fans deride her RCA period, there is most definitely some quality music. I completely forgot about Summertime. Might have to go back and redo my list!! I also struggled with which track from Ross. I do really like Love will make it and That's how. although i decided to bump That's How because it's such an energetic track and ross doesn't match it as well as she could have. She does a "good" job on it and she could/should have done a "Great" job. it's perfectly in her vocal range
    I agree that her vocals could have been more forceful,but she was having a very tough time emotionally which may have affected her performance.
    It looks like you rate Silk Electric much higher than i do!

An RCA Greatest Hits would be one thing. [[I noticed the official RCA album wasn't a strictly greatest hits compilation. No Pieces of Ice, Dirty Looks, Work That Body, Love or Loneliness.)
    My Best of the RCA Years would be [[in chronological, not preferential order):
    Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[seems unpopular on this forum, but I like it. Jaunty and fun)
    Mirror, Mirror
    Let's Go Up
    You Do It
    Swept Away
    Touch By Touch
    Missing You
    Chain Reaction
    Summertime
    Selfish One
    Cross My Heart
    It's Hard For Me To Say

Yes, great thread, sup_fan!

Oh lucky! i also like You Do It and forgot it too for my list lolol

I might have to do a double lp!! lol

and i too like Why Do Fools. it's fun, peppy. But in hindsight, i think for the 1st single of her brand new career, perhaps she should have really tried to something new, break new ground.

Why do fool fall
    Mirror
    Muscles
    Love lies
    Who
    Pieces of ice
    You do it
    Chain Reaction
    Crimes of Passion
    Summertime
    Hard to for me to say
    Missing you
    Swept away
    All of you

Oh lucky! i also like You Do It and forgot it too for my list lolol

I might have to do a double lp!! lol

and i too like Why Do Fools. it's fun, peppy. But in hindsight, i think for the 1st single of her brand new career, perhaps she should have really tried to something new, break new ground.
    Mirror, Mirror should have been the first RCA single. It was a different sound and concept for her, just as the diana album had been. Why Do Fools, a tribute to her beginnings, would have been a great second single. The other tribute to her past on the album should have been There Goes My Baby, instead of Sweet Nothings.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Mirror, Mirror should have been the first RCA single.
    Yes, yes, yes.

Mirror Mirror
    Muscles
    Who
    Anywhere you run to
    All of you
    Missing you
    love will make it right
    Teacher
    There goes my baby
    Selfish one
    experience
    touch by touch
    You're kidding, right? LOL!!!

If I can only choose 12, then it would have be 12 singles. Looks like she only released around 16 from RCA, so...

Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    Mirror, Mirror
    Work That Body
    Muscles
    Pieces Of Ice
    Lets Go Up
    All Of You
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Telephone
    Eaten Alive
    Chain Reaction

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    If I can only choose 12, then it would have be 12 singles. Looks like she only released around 16 from RCA, so...

Mirror, Mirror
    Work That Body
    Muscles
    Pieces Of Ice
    Lets Go Up
    All Of You
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Telephone
    Eaten Alive
    Chain Reaction
    The RCA Years, Greatest Hits
    Mirror, Mirror
    Work That Body
    Muscles
    Pieces Of Ice
    All Of You
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Telephone
    Eaten Alive
    Chain Reaction
    Dirty Looks

If I am limited to 12, I’d select these, the best performing chart singles from the RCA years, but to round out the collection and fill the CD...

So Close
    Summertime
    It’s Hard For Me To Say
    Touch By Touch
    Experience
    Let’s Go Up

Mirror mirror
    Muscles
    Love lies
    That’s how you start over
    Pieces of ice
    Let’s go up
    Missing you
    Fight for it
    Swept away
    Telephone
    Shine
    Summertime

Think im in love
    Work that body
    Who
    In your arms
    Love will make it right
    You do it
    Missing you
    Swept away
    Eaten alive
    Experience
    Dirty looks
    Its hard for me to say

My personal "Greatest Hits"

Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[a great fun pop record perfect as a one-off)
    Work That Body
    Still In Love
    Love Lies
    In Your Arms
    Touch By Touch
    Swept Away
    Forever Young
    Chain Reaction
    [[I Love) Being In Love With You
    Crime Of Passion
    Shockwaves

3 tracks from the much maligned Silk Electric album one of which is not Muscles!

I don't think MJ gave Diana any decent songs.

The 3 track segment from Eaten Alive - [[I Love) BILWY, Crime Of Passion plus Don't Give Up On Each Other [[which just misses out being on this list) I play over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    My personal "Greatest Hits"

Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[a great fun pop record perfect as a one-off)
    Work That Body
    Still In Love
    Love Lies
    In Your Arms
    Touch By Touch
    Swept Away
    Forever Young
    Chain Reaction
    [[I Love) Being In Love With You
    Crime Of Passion
    Shockwaves

3 tracks from the much maligned Silk Electric album one of which is not Muscles!

I don't think MJ gave Diana any decent songs.

The 3 track segment from Eaten Alive - [[I Love) BILWY, Crime Of Passion plus Don't Give Up On Each Other [[which just misses out being on this list) I play over and over again.
    Hardly any of your choices would make my final cut Florence, and i guess you could say the same about my choices.
    We all have our own ideas and there is no right or wrong choices. I think you appreciated Why do fools and Silk Electric way more than i ever could. Glad you enjoyed them.

Hardly any of your choices would make my final cut Florence, and i guess you could say the same about my choices.
    We all have our own ideas and there is no right or wrong choices. I think you appreciated Why do fools and Silk Electric way more than i ever could. Glad you enjoyed them.
    The RCA years are such interesting discussions amongst fans; I’m really enjoying reading these lists. I was a teenager when the first 5 LP’s were released and without anyone to discuss the albums with, I didn’t realize the releases were disappointing for other fans. Two gold and one platinum LP, four top 10’s and two additional top 20 hits, the videos, successful concert tours and Central Park. It was such an exciting time for this teenaged fan and eye opening to read everyone’s thoughts now...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    The RCA years are such interesting discussions amongst fans; I’m really enjoying reading these lists. I was a teenager when the first 5 LP’s were released and without anyone to discuss the albums with, I didn’t realize the releases were disappointing for other fans. Two gold and one platinum LP, four top 10’s and two additional top 20 hits, the videos, successful concert tours and Central Park. It was such an exciting time for this teenaged fan and eye opening to read everyone’s thoughts now...
    I think most long standing fans were generally disappointed by the rca years. For me it was her lacklustre vocals especially on the first two albums that disappointed me almost as much as the poor quality of the songs [[well most of them).
    When she left Motown i was anticipating albuns of the calibre of The Boss and Baby it's me. Instead we got Why do fools and Silk Electric. She badly lacked someone to trust and help her with the choice of material. By the time that problem was addressed her recording career had tanked in the USA. Thankfully the rest of the world was still willing to listen.

I think most long standing fans were generally disappointed by the rca years. For me it was her lacklustre vocals especially on the first two albums that disappointed me almost as much as the poor quality of the songs [[well most of them).
    When she left Motown i was anticipating albuns of the calibre of The Boss and Baby it's me. Instead we got Why do fools and Silk Electric. She badly lacked someone to trust and help her with the choice of material. By the time that problem was addressed her recording career had tanked in the USA. Thankfully the rest of the world was still willing to listen.
    This week I’ve revisited WDFFIL, Silk, Swept and RHR&B with different ears and I understand what the membership has stated. Swept Away is strong IMO, but RHR&B from a production standpoint is head and shoulders above the first two LP’s IMO...

I agree 💯 percent. This is exactly how I felt. I was in my early 20s and it was an exciting time being a fan. All my friends at that time was so into Diana Ross I had no idea how her RCA period was disliked by many fans until the internet.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 11-03-2019 at 03:15 PM.

This week I’ve revisited WDFFIL, Silk, Swept and RHR&B with different ears and I understand what the membership has stated. Swept Away is strong IMO, but RHR&B from a production standpoint is head and shoulders above the first two LP’s IMO...
    Agreed. It was a big mistake when she self produced those initial two albums. She was not up to the task. She needed an experienced producer who would push her in the studio and coax stronger vocal performances from her. She sounds disinterested on many of those songs which sadly led to a knock on effect for the listener. When someone challenged her in the studio it forced her to work hard and made her vocals more committed and passionate.
    Glad you could tell the difference in the quality of her vocal performances
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 11-03-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Not finished the post

The RCA years were very painful and disappointing to this fan. Her style and dress also changed, and were often horrible. Berry’s strong guidance was clearly missing. She was not up to the task of doing it all alone.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree 💯 percent. This is exactly how I felt. I was in my early 20s and it was an exciting time being a fan. All my friends at that time was so into Diana Ross I had no idea how her RCA period was disliked by many fans until the internet.
    I’m glad I’m not alone on this one...lol