[REMOVE ADS]

John Witherspoon Dies: Comedian & ‘Friday’ Star Was 77

John Witherspoon, an actor-comedian who for decades made audiences laugh in television shows and films, including the hit Friday franchise, died suddenly at his home today. He was 77.

Read more here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...-77/ar-AAJyG09

The "Bang, bang, bang man"! LOL! He sure knew how to "co-ordinate"! LOL! A really funny guy that I will miss. Rest in peace John and thanks man.

Marv

Awww, not "Pops"! He was a national treasure. Rest in power and smiles.

Very sudden death. Same age as my dad. RIP

You sure scared me for a minute there! All I saw at first was "Witherspoon", thinking it was Motown's William Weatherspoon of Dean & Weatherspoon songwriting/production team. What a relief! Nevertheless, may you RIP, John Witherspoon.

John was from Detroit by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    You sure scared me for a minute there! All I saw at first was "Witherspoon", thinking it was Motown's William Weatherspoon of Dean & Weatherspoon songwriting/production team. What a relief! Nevertheless, may you RIP, John Witherspoon.
    Very interesting you should make that connection: Mr. Witherspoon was indeed born as John Weatherspoon, and his brother was none other than Motown's William Weatherspoon!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Very interesting you should make that connection: Mr. Witherspoon was indeed born as John Weatherspoon, and his brother was none other than Motown's William Weatherspoon!
    Interesting, sans. I had no idea that they were brothers. I guess I was in the "right church, wrong pew", as they say! Thanks for enlightening me/us.

Interesting, sans. I had no idea that they were brothers. I guess I was in the "right church, wrong pew", as they say! Thanks for enlightening me/us.
    You're more than welcome. I remember discovering it a few years back after Wiki-ing Mr. Witherspoon; I posted about it here soon afterward.

I hate to say this, but William died in 2005.
    John was a huge part of my childhood. Wayans Brothers, Boondocks, guest spots on other sitcoms. What a loss! RIP John & William!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I was just about to mention that William, best known for writing "What Becomes of a Broken Heart" was his older brother. I grew up in church with the Weatherspoons and see some of them from time to time. In fact, his sister Gertrude was my first lady when I was a kid and she's become quite popular in her own right on the internet these days for her bold ways. Check out Mother Gertrude Stacks. I'm not sure why John changed the spelling of the name, possibly because the family was sooooo religious and his brand of comedy wasn't. Nevertheless, the man was hilarious and brought much laughter to many.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I hate to say this, but William died in 2005.
    John was a huge part of my childhood. Wayans Brothers, Boondocks, guest spots on other sitcoms. What a loss! RIP John & William!
    I'm sorry to hear that, jboy. Before I posted my comment above, I had Googled William Weatherspoon to see if there was a date of death, and there was none, so, assuming he was still alive, I went ahead and posted my relief that it was John and not William who had died. [[No disrespect to John, by any means.) You were lucky to have known John personally. I'm sure he appreciated knowing you as well.

Regarding our beloved Motown alumni, so many have come and gone, I have trouble keeping up with who is still with us and who isn't. Thanks for setting the record straight.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-31-2019 at 12:32 PM.

I'm sorry to hear that, jboy. Before I posted my comment above, I had Googled William Weatherspoon to see if there was a date of death, and there was none, so, assuming he was still alive, I went ahead and posted my relief that it was John and not William who had died. [[No disrespect to John, by any means.) You were lucky to have known John personally. I'm sure he appreciated knowing you as well.

Regarding our beloved Motown alumni, so many have come and gone, I have trouble keeping up with who is still with us and who isn't. Thanks for setting the record straight.
    I didn’t know him, never met him. But he was on a lot of shows and movies I loved . Likewise, William wrote and produced a lot of songs I love.

One of the best..r.i.p. Pops!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I didn’t know him, never met him. But he was on a lot of shows and movies I loved . Likewise, William wrote and produced a lot of songs I love.
    Me, too. Dean & Weatherspoon were responsible for some of Motown's prettiest records ever. Masterpieces, in fact. When it comes to classic '60s Motown, I miss them dearly.

https://youtu.be/iUGUc7f0e_o

One of my favorite John Witherspoon moments! RIP Granddad! You don’t have to butter your own popcorn in heaven.

thatanyway Guest
    Such a loss Another Detroit icon gone.

Rest easy, Sir. Sincere condolences to the people that are close.

thatanyway Guest