[REMOVE ADS]

New book on Robin Seymour and his Detroit radio and television legacy

After watching the Our Generation video from 2007 that Marv 2 was so kind to post, I was shocked to see that Robin Seymour was featured in the video. So
    I googled him and much to my surprise discovered that he was involved in a new book on his legacy released in 2019.

https://www.amazon.com/That-Launched...s%2C164&sr=8-1

Has anyone purchased and read this and can offer a critique? One comment that I saw from the readers posts thus far is the poor editing. That is a constant problem.

Robin Seymour was a and is a big part of Detroit's music history. I am interested in this book. He helped to break many Motown records in the 60s as well as hosting "Swingin' Time" on CKLW channel 9. Thank you Woodward!

I was on that show when I was 17, I think. My friends and I skipped school to cross over to Windsor to appear on the show. Then my friends shoved me on stage with Robin Seymour and told him it was my birthday, which it wasn't. When I admitted it wasn't, he looked at me like I was a gate crasher at a party where I wasn't welcome. I also remember that man was really, really short!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I was on that show when I was 17, I think. My friends and I skipped school to cross over to Windsor to appear on the show. Then my friends shoved me on stage with Robin Seymour and told him it was my birthday, which it wasn't. When I admitted it wasn't, he looked at me like I was a gate crasher at a party where I wasn't welcome. I also remember that man was really, really short!
    Kenneth, do you remember Johnny Ginger?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kenneth, do you remember Johnny Ginger?
    I don't. Who was he?

It was fun appearing on that show. I still remember some of the "regulars" amongst the teenagers. Like American Bandstand, Swingin' Time had its own share of Detroit area [[and I suppose Windsor as well) natives who appeared on the show quite often. I thought they were so cool!

I don't. Who was he?

It was fun appearing on that show. I still remember some of the "regulars" amongst the teenagers. Like American Bandstand, Swingin' Time had its own share of Detroit area [[and I suppose Windsor as well) natives who appeared on the show quite often. I thought they were so cool!
    He had a local Detroit children's show on WXYZ Channel 7 for several years.

Here's some more info on him and his show. His son was one of my best friends in grade school:

https://johnnyginger.blogspot.com/

I can't believe they saved some of his show but here is a clip from it:

Wow, Marv, I don't remember him at all! I was probably a little before his time. I was a "Captain Kangaroo" kid!

Wow, Marv, I don't remember him at all! I was probably a little before his time. I was a "Captain Kangaroo" kid!
    Yeah his show was from the very early 60s. I was a Captain Kangaroo and the Gentle Giant that came on Canadian TV when I was a kid. LOL!

Yeah his show was from the very early 60s. I was a Captain Kangaroo and the Gentle Giant that came on Canadian TV when I was a kid. LOL!
    Well I probably should have known about him then. I do remember Jingles the Clown but I think he was in the afternoon. And Poopdeck Paul who hosted the Popeye cartoons.

You know there's a great book out there about children's TV in Detroit. I'll try to find the title for you. So much fun stuff in there.

Well I probably should have known about him then. I do remember Jingles the Clown but I think he was in the afternoon. And Poopdeck Paul who hosted the Popeye cartoons.

You know there's a great book out there about children's TV in Detroit. I'll try to find the title for you. So much fun stuff in there.
    I remember Poopdeck Paul. I have a book on Detroit Television I bought off of Amazon years ago. I don't where it is now. Yes Johnny Ginger was quite popular back in the day.

I remember Poopdeck Paul. I have a book on Detroit Television I bought off of Amazon years ago. I don't where it is now. Yes Johnny Ginger was quite popular back in the day.
    Much as I hate to admit it..during my early performing career, as a 10 year old...I sang on the Popeye show with the old Poopdeck Paul... They actually wanted me back for regular appearances, but my friends were razzing me too much so I ran out the back door when the shows producer, Mr Sprague came over to sign me up...LOL... Also had Captain Jolly on the Popeye show......

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Much as I hate to admit it..during my early performing career, as a 10 year old...I sang on the Popeye show with the old Poopdeck Paul... They actually wanted me back for regular appearances, but my friends were razzing me too much so I ran out the back door when the shows producer, Mr Sprague came over to sign me up...LOL... Also had Captain Jolly on the Popeye show......
    You’re immortal! Also my idol! I’m jealous. My sister got to be on romper room but I never did! Now there’s you!

You’re immortal! Also my idol! I’m jealous. My sister got to be on romper room but I never did! Now there’s you!
    Actually, I had quite a shot at being the FIRST Michael Jackson...or he could have possibly have been the second ME as I was very popular at parties and talent shows... I also got invited to the Milky The Clown show when I was about 8 or 9... A family friend was the niece of the Twin Pines Milkman who was Milky's sidekick... Next local TV was when I was with my group The Strides at CKLW to do the Swinging time show with Tom Shannon... Tom gave me the dirty eye when I knocked a chair over just as the show came back on air from commercial...LOL

I was on the local Bozo the Clown show as a cub scout. LOL!

Actually, I had quite a shot at being the FIRST Michael Jackson...or he could have possibly have been the second ME as I was very popular at parties and talent shows... I also got invited to the Milky The Clown show when I was about 8 or 9... A family friend was the niece of the Twin Pines Milkman who was Milky's sidekick... Next local TV was when I was with my group The Strides at CKLW to do the Swinging time show with Tom Shannon... Tom gave me the dirty eye when I knocked a chair over just as the show came back on air from commercial...LOL
    Stu that's great. You have any pics from those days?

Hey Stu..Ill bet you never played the Auntie Dee show like I did in the Glo Worms.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Hey Stu..Ill bet you never played the Auntie Dee show like I did in the Glo Worms.
    Nope...Auntie Dee was the BIG TIME...sort of like Ed Sullivan for Detroit kids... I heard she was in a threesome with Captain Jolly and Soupy Sales...

Stu that's great. You have any pics from those days?
    I'm sure there are some pics somewhere I've seen through the years, although unlike today, everyone wasn't walking around with video cellphones...

We did a few shows with Soupy also when he appeared at outside functions.

I think I told this story before, but the [[weird) son of a family friend opened a Disco in Detroit at the old Sidney Hill swim club on 8 Mile Rd in the early 80's and they had a fundraiser there sponsored by Hagen Daz ice cream and Soupy was an invited guest. This [[weird) guy thought it would be funny to throw a pie at Soupy when he arrived... He actually DID and got pie all over Soupys suit and Soupy was PISSED and was threatening to sue ... So many people don't remember Soupys late night show from the Macabees Building on Woodward that he did for many years... He had all the jazz greats when they came to town. Hal Gordon and Joe Messina were among the musicians on the show...I used to go there in my PJ's as a kid while my brother took his guitar lessons from Joe in the stairwell between the rehearsal and the live show...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Nope...Auntie Dee was the BIG TIME...sort of like Ed Sullivan for Detroit kids... I heard she was in a threesome with Captain Jolly and Soupy Sales...
    You so nasty..........hehehehehehehehe!

You see Ralph, you all have me beat by a few years. We missed those shows. By the time I was able to sit on the floor in front of the TV without falling over, those shows were off the air! LOL!

I did get to meet Soupy Sales just before he passed at LaGuardia airport. They were bring him to a nursing facility in the Bronx and I had just flown in too from Detroit. Met up at curbside pick up there in NY.

I'm sure there are some pics somewhere I've seen through the years, although unlike today, everyone wasn't walking around with video cellphones...
    I was just explaining to one of my young nieces this week how we had to take the film to a processing place, drop it off and come back to get it when the pics were ready. You never knew if your pics came out well until you went to pick them up. She looked at me as said "huh?" LOL!

Stu, I'm sure it helps to be of codger status. Did a couple of outside shows with Johnny Ginger.

I used to watch Soupy as a youngster, but other than that I actually preferred the Mickey Mouse Club from California... Jimmie and Roy, Karen, Cubby, and of course Annette [[the REAL Mouseketeers) with The Hardy Boys [[Mystery of the Applegate) adaptations and of course, The Talent Roundup... Also, Howdy Doody [[and co-star Phineas T Bluster) with Buffalo Bob and Clarabell [[later Captain Kangaroo)...

Robin Seymour visits Motown October 2019

All of Detroit TV heads will want to check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...66E261D9D9E4BF