[REMOVE ADS]

Tracks of my Tears almost had an alternate ending

I've read about this years ago [[and I saw it recently in the Hitsville doc). It's just part of the "sweet science" of making a song a hit [[as well as an All-Time Classic). Thanks for sharing Jobeterob.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I've read about this years ago [[and I saw it recently in the Hitsville doc). It's just part of the "sweet science" of making a song a hit [[as well as an All-Time Classic). Thanks for sharing Jobeterob.
    Jobeterob, I'm reading a book on Chicago soul music and record companies. It deals with the Chicago music scene mainly from the 60s to the early 80's. Your post is yet another detail that illustrates why Motown has remained such a vital force musically all these years later. In contrast, nearly every record company and record and singer profiled in the book on Chicago soul has faded into oblivion, save for maybe a handful of diehard fans.

No other record company made records the way Motown did- record making was pretty much a committee affair there. Nobody escaped constructive criticism at Motown and it was all in an effort to make everyone's product the best possible. I don't think that happened much or in such a systemized way anywhere else.

Thanks for sharing that link!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Jobeterob, I'm reading a book on Chicago soul music and record companies. It deals with the Chicago music scene mainly from the 60s to the early 80's. Your post is yet another detail that illustrates why Motown has remained such a vital force musically all these years later. In contrast, nearly every record company and record and singer profiled in the book on Chicago soul has faded into oblivion, save for maybe a handful of diehard fans.

No other record company made records the way Motown did- record making was pretty much a committee affair there. Nobody escaped constructive criticism at Motown and it was all in an effort to make everyone's product the best possible. I don't think that happened much or in such a systemized way anywhere else.

Thanks for sharing that link!
    That’s insightful. I haven’t seen that written but there was something about Motown that made it different and longer lasting

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That’s insightful. I haven’t seen that written but there was something about Motown that made it different and longer lasting
    The book is called "Chicago Soul" by Robert Pruter. It's an incredible, well-written book. I'm not even a fan of Chicago soul, but I bought it because I always wondered why nobody seems to be able to recall much that came out of Chicago. Even the memory of The Impressions and The Dells seems to have faded from the general public's knowledge.

The one telling remark the author made concerning the long-lasting Motown Sound vs. the dissipated memory of Chicago soul was a remark that the Soundtrack for the Chicago-based movie "Cooley High" was stocked with nothing but Motown hits.

Even thought the book isn't at all about Chicago vs. Motown, the thing is I find myself realizing just how hard it was to get a hit on an artist let alone an ongoing recording career. Even more so, how hard it was to get a record company off the ground with recognition on the national charts. The whole time I was reading this book, I just kept think how incredible Motown really was.