[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes A Go Go "Shake Me, Wake Me"

When I first bought this album I hated this LA-recorded version. It just sounded so stilted and pale compared to the Detroit-recorded Four Tops' original. But it's so funny how something you hate so strongly can become you embrace so strongly.

The song has grown on me over the years. It's kinda like that story of the little engine that could. The L.A. rhythm section was never gonna equal what The Funk Brothers did but the more I listen to this the more I hear it as the L.A. guys deciding to just come up with their own groove and work the h*ll out of it! It does rock pretty well at that if you take it on its own merits.

And the thing that used to REALLY bug me, the bass line is actually pretty cool in its own way. I used to think it was just kinda pitiful. James Jamerson, of course, was doing some truly Unholy things with his bass line on the original recording and there was no way in any universe someone else was going to be able to match the interplay between James' bass and Benny's bass drum. But now, I've come to appreciate the bass line on the Supremes' version as well. I like how during the choruses, the bass takes it easy for the first 8 beats- single notes, nothing crazy, just working the rhythm. Then for the last 8 beats [["when it's over, when it's over")whoever is playing does this scruffy, quirky, plucky little back and forth thing, almost like a nod to something James Jamerson would have done. For lack of a better word, it's a "cute" little riff.

I've always like the Supreme's version of this song. I actually heard it before the 4 Tops version and like it more. Just imagine how the song would have sounded if HDH had actually cut the song for the group in Detroit!

I always thought it was one of the best songs on the album.

i think it's a very strong cover. both Shake Me and This Old Heart could easily have been Supremes' singles.

And i don't think the LA musicians are too off with these. I think it's much more noticeable on Sugar Pie, Get Ready [[although i do think this is a decent cover) and Baby I Need Your Loving.

I Cant Help Myself and Baby I Need Your Loving were actually cut with the Funk Brothers so i cant see how they can "OFF".

Shake me and this old heart are the only two songs I like on this album other than the two singles....and Get Ready.....
    I think both are good.
    Didn't This Old Heart almost become a single for the supremes

No reason thinking that awful vocal and track is good at all. Motown should be ashamed.

Maybe you like this version better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhr77PnXZpc

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Maybe you like this version better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhr77PnXZpc
    I hated this when I first heard it on her Lazy Afternoon album in 1975. Not only was it a travesty against Motown but it sounded so out-of-place on that wonderful dreamy album. I do like this extended remix, though.

I must be the odd man out because I love both versions. I always thought it would have been awesome for the two groups to record this song.

There's this version of The Supremes and 4 Tops together !

I would have replaced half of these songs on this album.. just not my usual Supremes cup of tea

With the talk of A go go I had to have another listen.
    As stated earlier I was not a fan of the lp but loved the singles.
    But was listening to the expanded edition and LOVE the Kevin Reeves mixs.
    It actually made me like the album but still not in to Hang On Sloopy.....Come N Get These Memories....I think a few songs changes would have made a difference.....
    On the fence with Put Yourself In My Place...this was considered for a single!!! Not hearing it but perhaps a few more listens.....
    I prefer Uptight
    In my lonely room
    Can I get a witness

I loved the Supremes version of "Shake Me" from the very first time I heard it. I also heard it before I ever heard the Tops version. As great as the Tops version is, I prefer the Supremes. And I actually really dig the duet version the guys came up with on the expanded edition. I really think Motown missed a golden opportunity to join the Tops and Supremes before joining the Supremes and Tempts. I think Diana and Levi, along with everyone else, would've given us some vocally great stuff together.