[REMOVE ADS]

Sup and DR picture sleeves

I find it a bit surprising how few of these were released in the US, especially once the group was "supreme" lol

for the Sups/DRATS i believe they released

You're Heart Belongs to Me
    where did our love go
    Baby Love
    Stop
    Back in my Arms
    Nothing But Heartaches
    Children's Christmas
    You Can't Hurry Love
    you keep me Hanging On
    I'm Gonna make you love me

no 70s singles received pictures sleeves in the US

what about Diana solo in the US?

Reach out and touch
    Mountain
    Sorry doesn't always make it right

i've seen a zillion pics online, pretty much every single. but what ones are US versions?

In the US, Diana as a solo also had REMEMBER ME, GOOD MORNING HEARTACHE, THEME FROM MAHOGANY, I THOUGHT IT TOOK A LITTLE TIME, IT'S MY TURN, and MY OLD PIANO.

There was also a US picture sleeve for her 1978 MCA single EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD.
    Last edited by reese; 10-22-2019 at 07:05 PM.

One for the DRATS forum surely.

^yep. i didn't realize i was in the main forum when starting this one. def should be moved

There's also a [[rather plain) picture sleeve for "We Can Never Light That Flame Again," when it was released as a previous vault track, I think along with the release of one of her greatest hits packages. It has a plain sleeve which states that the song was previously unreleased. It didn't even include a photo of Ross. It's interesting that it was produced by the Hollands, which I just noticed when scouting for the image.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  83.3 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-25-2019 at 09:32 PM.

I always wondered why in the UK and Europe the marketing of singles was so much more intensive than in the US. EPs were sold in the UK until the 70s I believe, whereas in the US they never really caught on. And it must have been fun to collect European picture sleeves. I remember traveling in Europe in the late 70s and finding Ike & Tina Turner singles of songs I'd never even heard of, which had never been released in the US, with beautiful picture sleeves. They also seem to have varied the practice from country to country.

Is it because singles sales still dominated the European market, more than albums, through the 60s? Maybe some of our overseas friends have opinions.

In the U.S., Motown was selling millions of singles, so you know they had to press and distribute millions of them. It may have been cost prohibitive to design and print color picture sleeves for all of those single releases for sale here. I have to believe that was the reason why they used the plain paper sleeves with pics of current Motown albums displayed on them.

The international editions of We Can Never Light That Old Flame Again have [[quite different) picture sleeves: France, Germany, Japan, and Mexico.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.04.42 AM.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  16.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In the U.S., Motown was selling millions of singles, so you know they had to press and distribute millions of them. It may have been cost prohibitive to design and print color picture sleeves for all of those single releases for sale here. I have to believe that was the reason why they used the plain paper sleeves with pics of current Motown albums displayed on them.
    ahhhhh - great point. never really considered that. plus the pic sleeves in the foreign countries would help make them more eye catching