[REMOVE ADS]

Should Mary do “The Masked Singer”?

I watched the first season of the Masked Singer out of curiosity and instantly recognized Gladys Knight’s voice. It’s a pretty tacky show and I’ve had no interest in watching the new season. I just saw on Twitter a video of a contestant who is clearly Patti LaBelle. It got me to thinking, with Mary getting a taste of reality TV fame, do you think she may be trying to get booked on this show? Or was the embarrassment of being eliminated so early on DWTS enough for her? Would you like to see her on this show?
    Last edited by khansperac; 10-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.

I hate to think that someone as accomplished as Mary Wilson views her DWTS stint as embarrassing. Maybe if she were 25. Any 75 year old with sense would view just getting on the show at all is a feat. Consider all the folks Mary went to school with who are probably walking with canes and riding around in motor scooters and there she is on a dancing show. She'd be crazy to view it as an embarrassment to be eliminated at all.

To the initial topic, no I don't think she should do it nor do I think she's interested in doing it.

Dancing with the Stars is one thing; Masked Singer is another. Its premise is pretty preposterous, and, if you ask me, rather degrading, so I doubt, and hope, Mary would not wish to appear. Still, sometimes she goes out on a limb for publicity so one can never tell. Many years ago I read a short story about a drag queen who called himself/herself "Dyanna Ross." Mary's name was mentioned to him/her, and he/she quipped, "Mary Wilson? Honey, that girl is so starved for attention that she would appear at the opening of a drain!" While that's a gross exaggeration of course, Mary has been known to make some ultimately unfortunate career choices, and I believe appearing on Masked Singer could be one. Let's hope she gives that show a wide berth.

I was sad to see Gladys appear on that show. I watched her part on YouTube when the rumors started that it may be her. The show was weird to me. Her voice was most recognizable and the judges had [[or pretended to have) no clue. Now the rumor is that Patti is on the show. I watched it on YouTube, and it may very well be her. At this stage in their lives, legends like Gladys, Patti, Bette, Diana, Barbra, Mathis etc do not need to be on shows like this.

Someone here recently said that no one under fifty knows some of these legends. Perhaps some don't. Mary does a good job of getting herself publicity by promoting her legacy as a Supreme and has nitched out a nice career. But I fear that if she goes on this show and is unmasked, many people under fifty, and some over fifty will say "Who?"

I actually enjoy the show though I wouldn't recommend it as a career move for our legends. When Gladys was on, my fear was that she would lose to the likes of a Tori Spelling or Latoya Jackson. In the end, she was in the final three with T-Pain and Donny Osmond, both of whom performed well. So I didn't feel too bad.

In fact, my only disappointment was that Gladys didn't really take advantage of the attention. She was getting a good buzz [[pardon the pun) from her renditions of CHANDELIER and other songs. It's too bad they weren't made available for downloads. To be be fair, they probably didn't know how well the show would do in America. But at least T-Pain was smart enough to have his latest cd released the same day he won.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Dancing with the Stars is one thing; Masked Singer is another. Its premise is pretty preposterous, and, if you ask me, rather degrading, so I doubt, and hope, Mary would not wish to appear. Still, sometimes she goes out on a limb for publicity so one can never tell. Many years ago I read a short story about a drag queen who called himself/herself "Dyanna Ross." Mary's name was mentioned to him/her, and he/she quipped, "Mary Wilson? Honey, that girl is so starved for attention that she would appear at the opening of a drain!" While that's a gross exaggeration of course, Mary has been known to make some ultimately unfortunate career choices, and I believe appearing on Masked Singer could be one. Let's hope she gives that show a wide berth.
    I have stated previously on this forum that Mary Wilson would attend the opening of an envelope if a photo opportunity was there. That is her business of course.
    Great stars attract publicity without having to seek it out whilst lesser stars have to find ways to attract publicity. It is what it is. I have never seen this show, but it sounds ghastly. It is a pity that Gladys and maybe Patti have felt the need to appear on such a tacky show. Hopefully Mary will not follow suit, but with her track record she is more likely to accept than decline the offer should it ever come her way.

You have to take what you can get ; it’s not like she has a lot of hits where her voice would be recognized

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You have to take what you can get ; it’s not like she has a lot of hits where her voice would be recognized
    And exactly what would be her calling card? 'First Eliminated Contestant on 2019's DTWS Season Superstar!'?

I don't think it would hurt or help her career. If she felt it would be fun then do it. Personally I hate the show.

I don’t think it would hurt Mary at all because, at her age and level of stardom, she can’t be hurt as she will always be an original supreme and that trumps anything a TV Appearance, good or bad, can do. If it pays well, she would do it and I would encourage her to do it.

Mary was only slightly embarrassed to be the first one eliminated on dancing with the stars however she was also somewhat relieved and still earned the big check…… The amount you get extra for lasting week to week is not that much for the amount of work, Time and effort it takes forcing her to perhaps miss other opportunities. The great bonus for appearing on that show was all the press that ABC was able to get her so she could plug her book at the same time And there is nothing Mary likes more, next to money, then being on TV. That is not a dig, by the way because she does have concerns about her extended future and while I am not privy to our numbers, I take her word for it that she does have a concern - like many of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t think it would hurt Mary at all because, at her age and level of stardom, she can’t be hurt as she will always be an original supreme and that trumps anything a TV Appearance, good or bad, can do. If it pays well, she would do it and I would encourage her to do it.

Mary was only slightly embarrassed to be the first one eliminated on dancing with the stars however she was also somewhat relieved and still earned the big check…… The amount you get extra for lasting week to week is not that much for the amount of work, Time and effort it takes forcing her to perhaps miss other opportunities. The great bonus for appearing on that show was all the press that ABC was able to get her so she could plug her book at the same time And there is nothing Mary likes more, next to money, then being on TV. That is not a dig, by the way because she does have concerns about her extended future and while I am not privy to our numbers, I take her word for it that she does have a concern - like many of us do.
    An informative and pragmatic post. I agree on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post

Nice post. Well balanced and no doubt truthful. I think it is very obvious to most people that Mary loves to gain publicity, and who amongst us doesn't like money?
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 10-22-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Not finished the post

Dancing with the Stars didn't hurt her career. It introduced her to a new audience. That's why Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle do what they do so they can get new fans. You saw how it's worked for Patti! I see nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Dancing with the Stars didn't hurt her career. It introduced her to a new audience. That's why Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle do what they do so they can get new fans. You saw how it's worked for Patti! I see nothing wrong with it.
    I agree. Nothing wrong with it. But that is why Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand are in another category. I don’t think they would ever do these types of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree. Nothing wrong with it. But that is why Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand are in another category. I don’t think they would ever do these types of shows.
    Totally agree. Neither of those legends need to lift a finger to attract offers. Their legacy has ensured that they can pick and chose what they do. The rest are not quite so fortunate, and if money is tight they will probably look at the dollar signs rather than the quality of the project involved.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

In fact, my only disappointment was that Gladys didn't really take advantage of the attention. She was getting a good buzz [[pardon the pun) from her renditions of CHANDELIER and other songs. It's too bad they weren't made available for downloads.
    Glad's version of "Chandelier" is imo PHENOMENAL, even better than the original which is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    That's very true.

It's not just aging vocalists who use this show to give their careers/sales a boost. Plenty of actors with ok voices or country-music stars trying to broaden their audience and get some extra mainstream publicity.

It's just like being on Dancing With The Stars or Celebrity Survivor/Big Brother/Masterchef [[or starring as nuns in Tarzan back in the day for that matter). And maybe some even do it just for fun!

Mary doesn't have the recognisable 'legend' voice that the show seems to head-hunt for each series, however. It would certainly be beneath some legends to appear. That's fine - it's their choice.