[REMOVE ADS]

The Motown Story LPs vs. CDs

Just discovered 'The Motown Story' on CD, and I think it's great. A fabulous insight into the stories behind the music and I love the style of the commentary. Who else enjoys these? I noticed there are also the LPs, two different 5 LP sets, which I have ordered as I am a bit of a completist and noticed there were a few tracks not on the two different CD sets. Will I have everything with the two 5 LP set or is there any other recordings people would recommend?

I have the 5 Lp set released in the blue box in 1970 and enjoyed it immensely!

Yes! That's one of the sets I have ordered, along with the 1983[[?) '25 years' set. I'm planning on recording from my record player onto MP3 so that I can play it in the car. Really enjoyed hearing the people behind the music giving their comments.

IMO, the 1970 set is the best. Because it only covered the first decade, it was able to include many of the classics. Even with this, some acts like the Marvelettes and Jr. Walker and the All-Stars are woefully under represented. But I still find this set to be more pleasing than the subsequent ones. I wish it was released on cd in its original form.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    IMO, the 1970 set is the best. Because it only covered the first decade, it was able to include many of the classics. Even with this, some acts like the Marvelettes and Jr. Walker and the All-Stars are woefully under represented. But I still find this set to be more pleasing than the subsequent ones. I wish it was released on cd in its original form.
    I thought it was released on CD, maybe I was wrong. I purchased the when it first came out , a friend gave me his a few years ago, and I found a sealed set in mint conditioned in a used record store for $5! I also found a 2 brand new This is the Story at the same store for $10. Was a lucky day.

Wow! What a lucky day! I have a 3 CD set 'The First 25 Years' and then another 2 CD set which has liner notes taken from both the 1970 and 1983 vinyl sets. Both CD sets are abridged versions of the original vinyl from what I can see, looking forward to continuing my detective work when I hear the LPs. I suppose it must be licencing issues meaning they haven't just created a full CD version of both sets, maybe they have included the audio of the interviews around other songs I will soon see!

Yes, as are The Velvelettes woefully underrepresented, I thought, who [[I think) don't even make it to the CDs. Some of their stuff is fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    Yes, as are The Velvelettes woefully underrepresented, I thought, who [[I think) don't even make it to the CDs. Some of their stuff is fabulous!
    Mary Wells is really ignored on the 1970 set, with only MY GUY being included.

Didn't The Marvelettes provide Motown with much needed cash infusion with Postman?

Some of the tracks are different from the released versions, such as the Supremes "You Keep Me Hanging On". On the box set, Florence Ballard is doubling Diana Ross lead.....loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Some of the tracks are different from the released versions, such as the Supremes "You Keep Me Hanging On". On the box set, Florence Ballard is doubling Diana Ross lead.....loudly.
    Interesting, I will have a compare when it arrives. It's incredible how many different versions there are, but not surprising given the history I suppose. It certainly makes a change to hear a 'best of' presented as this kind of audio documentary, I wish they had done something more interesting with the soundtrack to 'Hitsville', such as using some of the at-piano performances featured along with snippets of interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    Interesting, I will have a compare when it arrives. It's incredible how many different versions there are, but not surprising given the history I suppose. It certainly makes a change to hear a 'best of' presented as this kind of audio documentary, I wish they had done something more interesting with the soundtrack to 'Hitsville', such as using some of the at-piano performances featured along with snippets of interviews.
    I agree in regards to "The Making of Hitsville". They could have done so much more and different from past documentaries on Motown. I hope one day that a mini series is produced on the company.

My mother brought me the first Motown Story box set in 1970. I was so so happy to get it. I think it cost like 25 - 30 dollars at the time, which was an exorbitant price for my family. But my mother sacrificed and purchased it, probably on a layaway plan. I played and played the records practically every day. I came home one day and my little brother was using the Motown Story records to slide on the floor. I whipped his behind, and both my mother and father whipped me for beating my brothers behind! So far, no box set that Motown has released equals the first Motown Story. It was simply wonderful. I thought when the CD version came out, it would be the same as the LP's, but it was not, so I didn't buy it. Its very difficult now to get the first edition Motown Story with the picture sleeves and the 24 page booklet.

I have both box sets. My favorite being the 1st Motown Story. The CD set is different than the LPs.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Marv. Are you still saying this. You are so hard headed. It’s been said and cleared up that Florence is not doubling Diana Ross. That it is actually Diana Ross’ voice being doubled with herself. My goodness please stop the lies!
    Last edited by vgalindo; 10-20-2019 at 07:21 PM.

I loved the 1970 set and the Supremes version of You Keep Me Hanging On was kick ass. My favorite version of that song.thought they would add it to the last expanded version but they did not.
    It was released on CD but as you stated many songs were left off. Would have made a cool 60th expanded release.imo.

The 1983 set arrived today! So far, it's gorgeous... can't wait to hear the original 1970 set soon [[hopefully tomorrow).

Is the Blue Box LP set's version of You Keep Me Hanging On available anywhere else please?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Is the Blue Box LP set's version of You Keep Me Hanging On available anywhere else please?
    Is there any way to post an mp3 from a record on here, or is that not permitted?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I think it is on the Supremes' PLAYLIST PLUS cd.

Supremes' PLAYLIST PLUS:
    Much comment has been passed regarding Universal Music releasing endless Diana Ross & The Supremes collections of their greatest hits. Presently the company, via their Hip-o Select division, is delving back into the tape archives and unearthing never before released takes and songs that were recorded in a specific time span, but didn't make the album released at the time.

During a recent radio interview to promote an expanded CD version of "More Hits by the Supremes", Andy Skurow and George Solomon who painstakingly work on these projects, reflected on the Playlist Plus series, and on the Supremes edition in particular. Evidently the only time that a true stereo version of "No Matter What Sign You Are" that appears on Compact Disc format, is on this release! As well, for some reason, the UNI label vinyl record release entitled "It's Happening!" featuring one side of Supremes material and the other side consisting of Neil Diamond songs is the only time this true stereo version has ever been released in vinyl format! Go figure! This fact was recently uncovered while the men were pouring over tapes, and that alone makes this release noteworthy.

As well, other unusual versions of Beach Ball [[mono mix),Take Me Where You Go [alternate vocal], Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart [extended mix],Everything Is Good About You [extended mix], This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You) [alternate vocal], Going Down For The Third Time [alternate mix], You Keep Me Hangin' On [alternate mix], You've Been So Wonderful To Me [full version], and Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging Me) [version 1] make this compilation well worth getting for serious Supremes fans.

As well, Skurow and Solomon stated that some of the art work included inside this set were archive photos left over from the now sold out expanded edition of "Where Did Our Love Go," and that also marks this set as special. Hopefully these new revelations are interesting to Tamla/Motown enthusiasts and may turn some attention back onto this release.

"During a recent radio interview to promote an expanded CD version of "More Hits by the Supremes", Andy Skurow and George Solomon who painstakingly work on these projects, reflected on the Playlist Plus series, and on the Supremes edition in particular. Evidently the only time that a true stereo version of "No Matter What Sign You Are" that appears on Compact Disc format, is on this release!"

I'm not sure what the Playlist Plus series is, but the stereo version of No Matter What Sign You Are is available on the Diana Ross & The Supremes Anthology double CD setissued in 2001.

Hey guys, why don't you discuss this on the DRATS section ? :coo

Seriously the very first pressing of the box including a 24 pg book, is a must have. You can see the book on this link : https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/2161856

And it has some cool inner sleeves, too !

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Hey guys, why don't you discuss this on the DRATS section ? :coo
    I think the DRATS aspect has just evolved from the fact that there was an enquiry about a specific song on this set, which does contain a few DRATS songs. As you know, "The Motown Story" reflects a much wider range of Motown artists, and the sets as a whole is what my original post was about.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Seriously the very first pressing of the box including a 24 pg book, is a must have. You can see the book on this link : https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/2161856

And it has some cool inner sleeves, too !
    I ordered this earlier in the week and it should [[I hope) be arriving tomorrow [[I have been told today after chasing it up). Can't wait! Fingers crossed I think mine still has its booklet - but the pictures look great on the discogs page. The CD version they released in 1986 seems to actually have some additional tracks not on either LP set, along with some additional interviews/comments. I think the sound quality on the additional voiceovers seemed a little echoey though, not great sound quality at all.

I bought the first one, but not the first release of it. It didn't include the booklet. I was extremely disappointed. Many years later, I found a first release issue at a flea market. Very pleased to have added that to my collection! I never bought any of the later versions of the "Story".

The first copy I bought of the 1970 set didn't have the booklet or the special sleeves. I didn't know there were special sleeves so that didn't bother me. But I knew there was supposed to be a booklet and I was very disappointed. It is a good thing that the music was so good. I didn't end up getting a booklet until a visit to the Motown Museum in 1990 and they were selling them.
    Last edited by reese; 10-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.

The first copy I bought of the 1970 set didn't have the booklet or the special sleeves. I didn't know there were special sleeves so that didn't bother me. But I knew there was supposed to be a booklet and I was very disappointed. It is a good thing that the music was so good. I didn't end up getting a booklet until a visit to the Motown Museum in 1990 and they were selling them.
    That was fortunate Reese to get a copy. A bit disappointingly, my purchase didn't have the booklet however I have just eon the bidding of one on eBay that does have the booklet [[and the fancy sleeves), and it only went to £11.50 - so was cheaper than the first one I bought. It's the SECOND limited edition though, whereas the first one is from the original pressing. That aside, the original LP is great and has good commentary/linking narration I thought.