[REMOVE ADS]

1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert

This is the evening, January 20 ,1988 when The Supremes and Berry Gordy Jr. were inducted into the Hall. This is concert with all the inductees and other music legends:

Would like to see the induction of the Supremes and Gordy, as well.. Mary Wilson sings Stop in the Name of Love around 21 minutes in. I remember all those years ago, read a review it was a "campy" rendition and that having Yoko Ono "screeching" on background was bad. Judge for yourself, the footage is completely different from that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Would like to see the induction of the Supremes and Gordy, as well.. Mary Wilson sings Stop in the Name of Love around 21 minutes in. I remember all those years ago, read a review it was a "campy" rendition and that having Yoko Ono "screeching" on background was bad. Judge for yourself, the footage is completely different from that assessment.
    Jim, I watched and taped every report they did on CNN the next day. I have Mary's acceptance speech on VHS in storage. Everyone on the stage in this video had been drinking no doubt.LOL! It really was more of a party than a staid awards ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jim, I watched and taped every report they did on CNN the next day. I have Mary's acceptance speech on VHS in storage. Everyone on the stage in this video had been drinking no doubt.LOL! It really was more of a party than a staid awards ceremony.
    Thanks again for providing a historical moment in the Sups history. Mary easily fits right in with the crowd. Did I see Flo's daughter in the beginning of the footage? I bel Mary wrote that she and Yoko we among the few females on a male dominated stage or something to that effect. She sure made the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks again for providing a historical moment in the Sups history. Mary easily fits right in with the crowd. Did I see Flo's daughter in the beginning of the footage? I bel Mary wrote that she and Yoko we among the few females on a male dominated stage or something to that effect. She sure made the best of it.
    You're welcome. People try to downplay the Supremes monumental accomplishments. Yes that is Flo's daughter Lisa Chapman who thank the Hall on behalf of her Mom. Berry Gordy leaves the stage just before the singing starts and for good reason! LOL

Thanks for this clip.loved it.
    Lisa seems lost in parts......but of course she would.....she looks so much like her mom.
    Wasn't Cindy b n scherrie p in the audience

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Thanks for this clip.loved it.
    Lisa seems lost in parts......but of course she would.....she looks so much like her mom.
    Wasn't Cindy b n scherrie p in the audience
    I don't know if Cindy Birdsong or Scherrie Payne were there, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    She said something like nobody knew who she was and it was like she had been sent to pick up an award for someone

In those days, the RRHOF meant something - so many big names wandering around the stage. Now it’s been watered down and muddied and doesn’t mean so much

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    It looked like to me that they were all having fun. This was not meant to be a serious concert, just a loose jam session.