[REMOVE ADS]

Sen. Dianne Feinstein introduces Motown legends before hearing on music licensing

Marv, that was colossal. It amazes me how you find all these wonderful videos. Thank you for your ongoing efforts. You are the major contributor to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HUXqTtCX2D4
    Smokey’s opening statement. Isn’t Mary good friends with Darlene and Dionne? Nice they can support each other.

This is a really important music industry move. He [[and the others there) didn't have to do this. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv, that was colossal. It amazes me how you find all these wonderful videos. Thank you for your ongoing efforts. You are the major contributor to this forum.
    Thank you Woodward. I find things I think are interesting and relatable to the forum and hope that others find them interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    This is a really important music industry move. He [[and the others there) didn't have to do this. Impressive.
    I agree. About 10 years ago Mary Wilson and the members of F.A.M.E. worked tirelessly to get laws passed in about 30 States prohibiting fake groups from performing under the names of established and well known groups. The Bill was called "The Truth in Music Act".

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HUXqTtCX2D4
    Smokey’s opening statement. Isn’t Mary good friends with Darlene and Dionne? Nice they can support each other.
    Yes. They all have been friends since the sixties. Did you notice Smokey applauding Mary after she was introduced and Dionne pointing to and waving at Smokey?

This is indeed cool. Surprised that Smokey's card didn't read "William 'Smokey' Robinson".

I agree. About 10 years ago Mary Wilson and the members of F.A.M.E. worked tirelessly to get laws passed in about 30 States prohibiting fake groups from performing under the names of established and well known groups. The Bill was called "The Truth in Music Act".
    And then mary toured the UK in 2017 with a group of fake Drifters that were all about 32 years old.

but Mary would have no control over what a foreign promoter in a foreign country does, they might not be considered "fake" Drifters in the UK. Mary has to abide by her contract with the promoter.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    but Mary would have no control over what a foreign promoter in a foreign country does, they might not be considered "fake" Drifters in the UK. Mary has to abide by her contract with the promoter.
    She didnt have to sign the contract or take the gig. There wasnt an original memnber within 500 miles of that Stage.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    This is indeed cool. Surprised that Smokey's card didn't read "William 'Smokey' Robinson".
    His real name is William Robinson without a middle name lol

Roberta, in fairness to Mary, she might not have been told if there were others on the show. I know Martha Reeves was very upset several times when she had been booked & at the gig found out that FAKE Marvelettes were on the bill. She just didn't acknowledge them as there was nothing she could do but do her show, and that was in the USA.

The music business is cruel. You can put your blood, sweat and tears to making it work and making a name for yourself only to have that name snatched from you. Record labels were pretty dirty then. I mean they're still dirty now but compared to the '50s and '60s, artists today are living high on the hog!

Still, I wish Mary and Martha had boycotted those tours though.

Roberta, in fairness to Mary, she might not have been told if there were others on the show. I know Martha Reeves was very upset several times when she had been booked & at the gig found out that FAKE Marvelettes were on the bill. She just didn't acknowledge them as there was nothing she could do but do her show, and that was in the USA.
    True and I hope she didnt know but it would be real hypocritical if she did know.

Thanks for the video, Marv. The Senator misspoke when she referred to multiple Grammy award WINNER Dionne Warwick as merely a Grammy nominee. That mischaracterization was probably not appreciated by Dionne.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Was Smokey just his professional name?

Do his personal friends call him Smokey or William/Bill?

I’ve wondered the same about Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post

"Smokey" was a nickname given to him as a child by an uncle. I think it was originally "Smokey Joe" as he loved cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post

I think it's just Earvin Johnson but I'm gonna have to look it up. I'll give a response back to this reply after I research it lol

His uncle gave him the name "Smokey Joe" because they shared a love of westerns. He shortened it to "Smokey" and friends have called him that since. I think some do call him Bill though. I can't be too confident about that though.

I always just called him "Smoke" lol

I think it's just Earvin Johnson but I'm gonna have to look it up. I'll give a response back to this reply after I research it lol

His uncle gave him the name "Smokey Joe" because they shared a love of westerns. He shortened it to "Smokey" and friends have called him that since. I think some do call him Bill though. I can't be too confident about that though.

I always just called him "Smoke" lol
    Yeah it's just Earvin Johnson Jr.

In the setting they were in I was thinking along formal lines; that's why I referenced the William "Smokey" Robinson.

Dionne was introduced as "Dee-own" Warwick. LOL

Just here in America and in States where the law has been enacted.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Dionne was introduced as "Dee-own" Warwick. LOL
    Yeah, I caught that too LOL! Also, I was a little taken aback by Diane Feinstein referring to them as "California Singers". They may all live out there now, but Mary and Smokey are from Detroit and Dionne is from Jersey. Darlene I believe is a California native, I am not sure.

Nice to see so many important folks in one room, no matter what the occasion!!!

The only person missing IMO was Martha Reeves. She is our superstar as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The only person missing IMO was Martha Reeves. She is our superstar as far as I am concerned.
    Both she and Duke Fakir participated in this effort earlier on. They just weren't at this hearing.

The music business is cruel. You can put your blood, sweat and tears to making it work and making a name for yourself only to have that name snatched from you. Record labels were pretty dirty then. I mean they're still dirty now but compared to the '50s and '60s, artists today are living high on the hog!

Still, I wish Mary and Martha had boycotted those tours though.
    In an interview, Martha said that she tried not to be booked on shows with bogus groups. But it affected her bookings so badly that she had no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In an interview, Martha said that she tried not to be booked on shows with bogus groups. But it affected her bookings so badly that she had no choice.
    That's really messed up!

Dionne and Darlene live in NJ and at the time Mary lived mainly in Las Vegas. Yes Darlene from California.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Dionne and Darlene live in NJ and at the time Mary lived mainly in Las Vegas. Yes Darlene from California.
    Feinstein mentioned those artists living in California because she was Chairing the committe and Sen Kamala Harris was also there...those being the TWO current California U.S. Senators people and they were touting their state and the fact that they were the Senator of those they introduced as being from California...Ironic thing is that Smokey and Mary Wilson are both actually Californians who for tax purposes have residences in other states as well...I think Wilson has taken full time residence in Vegas...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 10-19-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Feinstein mentioned those artists living in California because she was Chairing the committe and Sen Kamala Harris was also there...those being the TWO current California U.S. Senators people and they were touting their state and the fact that they were the Senator of those they introduced as being from California...Ironic thing is that Smokey and Mary Wilson are both actually Californians who for tax purposes have residences in other states as well...I think Wilson has taken full time residence in Vegas...
    Smokey has a home in Vegas too.

The Drifters have always been very popular in the UK, and various line ups have toured regularly since the 1970's. I saw this particular tour mainly to see Roberta Flack whom i had never seen live before. Maybe Mary Wilson did not know this was a fake Drifters before she signed on the dotted line but she sure as hell did know by the time the tour came around. There was a lot of publicity about it. In fairness to them they did put on a good show, but anyone with half a brain cell would have known these relatively young guys could not have been original members of the group.

All money driven ; you don’t want to appear with until you have to as Martha Reeves alluded to -if you wanna to work or have to work, you don’t always have choices

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    All money driven ; you don’t want to appear with until you have to as Martha Reeves alluded to -if you wanna to work or have to work, you don’t always have choices
    This video, this hearing is about artists receiving compensation for the recordings they made prior to 1972 that are played on radio, etc. I am sure what you are talking about.

Music Copyright and Licensing Addressed by Congress

https://www.naahq.org/news-publicati...essed-congress

Music Copyright and Licensing Addressed by Congress

https://www.naahq.org/news-publicati...essed-congress
    Thanks Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks Marv.
    You're welcome DET! Some of these guys cannot stick to the subject to save their lives. There is another thread for the Truth in Music Act. Something entirely different.