[REMOVE ADS]

Rufus w/Chaka, Whitney, Benatar & others nominated for 2020 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

https://nypost.com/2019/10/15/rock-r...ees-announced/

Please help vote Pat and Chaka in this year!

I find it incredible that Rufus and Chaka Khan have not been inducted yet. Hoping Whitney makes it. Pat Benatar should have been in already, along with Chubby Checker!

They keep nominating Chaka in competitive lists. No way will she beat Whitney and/or Pat Benatar! Questlove obviously wants her in.

Sorry but Whitney definitely does NOT belong in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Sorry but Whitney definitely does NOT belong in there.
    Percy Sledge belongs LESS in the Hall than Whitney...

Whitney making the list for the HOF is perplexing. She was not a songwriter and the type of music she is known for can only loosely be categorized as rock and roll. If Whitney is eligible then Streisand, Dionne, Labelle and Roberta Flack should have already been inducted.

Every female Rock & Soul performer from 1964 on owes praise & debt to MARY WELLS & to the Marvelettes. Those are real PIONEERS and if this Rock & Roll Hall of Fame had in real meaning...THEY would be in it.

I understand the arguments about Whitney not being qualified as "rock and roll," but my guess is that she will be the one shoo-in out of this group. The rest of them is anybody's guess and I don't care one way or another about most of them. I will however loudly second a Marvelettes' nomination if we ever get one!!!!

In that list, Whitney and Biggie are the probable shoo-ins. Whoever else goes in is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I understand the arguments about Whitney not being qualified as "rock and roll," but my guess is that she will be the one shoo-in out of this group. The rest of them is anybody's guess and I don't care one way or another about most of them. I will however loudly second a Marvelettes' nomination if we ever get one!!!!
    If they can induct the Shirelles, they could induct the Marvelettes! Another omission that has always bothered me is The Guess Who!

The Guess Who? For what reason? I get the Marvelettes though.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The Guess Who? For what reason? I get the Marvelettes though.
    For what reason? They were one of the best Rock bands of the 60s with consistent high quality and popular recordings! If you are not familiar with them, I suggest you start by listening to these selected recordings:

"Shakin' All Over"
    "These Eyes"
    "Laughing"
    "Undun"
    "No Time"
    "American Woman"
    "No Sugar Tonight"
    "Hand Me Down World"
    "Share the Land"
    "Clap for the Wolfman"

They spawned Bachman-Turner Overdrive in the 70s who were also very successful.

The Guess Who also launched Burton Cummings solo career in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    For what reason? They were one of the best Rock bands of the 60s with consistent high quality and popular recordings! If you are not familiar with them, I suggest you start by listening to these selected recordings:

"Shakin' All Over"
    "These Eyes"
    "Laughing"
    "Undun"
    "No Time"
    "American Woman"
    "No Sugar Tonight"
    "Hand Me Down World"
    "Share the Land"
    "Clap for the Wolfman"

They spawned Bachman-Turner Overdrive in the 70s who were also very successful.
    BTO has a better chance at the Hall than The Guess Who. Besides from American Woman, not too many know about those songs you listed. I get you're Canadian but Rush is much better lol

Not saying The Guess Who weren't good but they don't scream a Hall of Fame band.

I have heard lots of people question why The Guess Who have not made it.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I have heard lots of people question why The Guess Who have not made it.
    You have to ask the Hall. They have done a better job at their nominations though!

BTO has a better chance at the Hall than The Guess Who. Besides from American Woman, not too many know about those songs you listed. I get you're Canadian but Rush is much better lol

Not saying The Guess Who weren't good but they don't scream a Hall of Fame band.
    People that grew up during the time those songs were release know and remember them. Not everything in the World revolves around Millennials or whatever. I have their greatest hits CD in my car. I am not Canadian. I am American. Rush better? That is subjective. They certainly were not nearly as successful as The Guess Who in terms of the charts, record sales and radio airplay. Also, Rush is a hard Rock band. The Guess Who could do all types of music and had broader appeal. They played Rock, did ballads and Pop flavored music.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-18-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Rick James is not even in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame which to me is a sin!

An interesting article regarding The Guess Who and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...article985932/

I think the problem with so many great artists being left out of the RRHF is how some people define "Rock & Roll". In the sixties and early seventies Top 40 radio aka AM stations played a variety of popular artists. Some where Rock bands, some were solo singers, some were definitely Pop. Now we have this institution called the RRHF and no one seems to know how to decide who is and who isn't "Rock and Roll" enough. I believe that is why we now have the R&B Hall of Fame, the Country Music Hall of Fame, etc., etc.

There is some great YouTube footage of both Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings singing live together

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think the problem with so many great artists being left out of the RRHF is how some people define "Rock & Roll". In the sixties and early seventies Top 40 radio aka AM stations played a variety of popular artists. Some where Rock bands, some were solo singers, some were definitely Pop. Now we have this institution called the RRHF and no one seems to know how to decide who is and who isn't "Rock and Roll" enough. I believe that is why we now have the R&B Hall of Fame, the Country Music Hall of Fame, etc., etc.
    There is some fantastic footage on YouTube of Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings singing live together.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    There is some fantastic footage on YouTube of Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings singing live together.
    I have seen some of them, thanks. There is also an incredible live performance clip of Lenny Kravitz and The Guess Who on stage together doing "American Woman".

Canadians do not act like that

I have seen this footage and Lenny is excellent. Remember his mom on the Jefferson's TV show? Talented family. He has stated in a few articles that there is always the issue of how to categorize his music. WTF, why not just appreciate it simply as music rather than question how his music sb labeled.