[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I know Barry Gibb and i have discussed his working relationship with Diana. He says that Chain Reaction is his all time favorite creation for another artist. He even sent some demos to Diana a couple of years back which she foolishly rejected. He said he would happily work with Diana again. It is the late Maurice Gibb who clashed with Diana, and that was never a great issue because he was hardly involved with the Eaten Alive album. It was Barry and to a lesser extent Robin who were in the studio with her.
    Barry may yet be involved again with Diana again on a future project. Watch this space.
    I hope you have peanut butter 'cause I'm bringing the jelly! [[A USA slang for 'jealous'). Always loved the Bee Gees and on my after-midnight drives home from a second job I've been listening to, and luxuriating in, lesser-known Gibb lp's. 'Life In a Tin Can', 'Odessa', etc. My GOODNESS those Gibb guys were brilliant. Not good. Not great. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Perry also produced her hit duet with Julio Iglesias, ALL OF YOU.
    With Wilson's year of sizzle turned into a year of fizzle he/they are in a full-on Giuliani meltdown. HeHeHe!

One of my favorite internet radio stations in the early 2000s is also recognizing the 50th Anniversary of "Someday We'll Be Together":

https://www.accuradio.com/featured/s...io.com/sharing

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I hope you have peanut butter 'cause I'm bringing the jelly! [[A USA slang for 'jealous'). Always loved the Bee Gees and on my after-midnight drives home from a second job I've been listening to, and luxuriating in, lesser-known Gibb lp's. 'Life In a Tin Can', 'Odessa', etc. My GOODNESS those Gibb guys were brilliant. Not good. Not great. Brilliant.
    I totally agree. What a fantastic body of work they have left us with as performers, songwriters and producers. They are up there with Lennon and McCartney in the rock music era for coming out with classic after classic, and they have been far more prolific too. Musical geniuses for sure that have to be respected even if they are not your actual cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't lie. He had a problem with her. You're stupid and don't know much but how to worship this woman.
    You do lie. You have been caught out yet again by claiming she did not work with Richard Perry again after Baby it's me, and you're stupid and don't know much but how to deride this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    How do you get Maurice and Barry Gibb confused? BG loved Diana, still does. Maurice, bless his soul, didn't work as hard as Barry. Robin, bless HIS soul as well, was more attentive but Barry controlled the sessions. Eaten Alive could've been okay had a certain pop star not been added and the album was called Chain Reaction lol
    Barry always was the driving force of the group. He usually gave equal credit to his brothers, but it was usually Barry who did the writing and most of the hard work in the studio. I am not going to diss Maurice who was a nice guy, but he did not have the work ethic of Barry and neither did Robin.

It would be fair to say there have been producers who have enjoyed working with Diana over the years and others [[although not many) less so.
    Surely this is the situation with most [[not all) recording artists. Thats life.
    I really don't see the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It would be fair to say there have been producers who have enjoyed working with Diana over the years and others [[although not many) less so.
    Surely this is the situation with most [[not all) recording artists. Thats life.
    And indeed it's not. Except for a poster or 2!

I totally agree. What a fantastic body of work they have left us with as performers, songwriters and producers. They are up there with Lennon and McCartney in the rock music era for coming out with classic after classic, and they have been far more prolific too. Musical geniuses for sure that have to be respected even if they are not your actual cup of tea.
    Yes, perfectly stated. During my after-midnight listenings I had a similar Beatles thought and could not help but wonder ... of the Gibbs had less distinctive voices perhaps they may have been taken more seriously. 'Trafalgar' is a decades-long favorite. Saturday night's ride home will begin with 'Mr. Natural'.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, perfectly stated. During my after-midnight listenings I had a similar Beatles thought and could not help but wonder ... of the Gibbs had less distinctive voices perhaps they may have been taken more seriously. 'Trafalgar' is a decades-long favorite. Saturday night's ride home will begin with 'Mr. Natural'.
    They were respected by their peers more than the critics. That always meant more to them than being fashionable and trendy. Trafalgar is also a personal favorite of mine which has stood the test of time.
    Barry takes things a little easier these days. The passing of his brothers made him take stock of his life, but he has a couple of projects planned including another solo album, and maybe just maybe linking up once again with a certain legendary diva with whom he claims he has unfinished business. nudge nudge, Wink wink.

You do lie. You have been caught out yet again by claiming she did not work with Richard Perry again after Baby it's me, and you're stupid and don't know much but how to deride this woman.
    Thank you Bluebrock. He has the nerve!

A true pathological liar doesnt give a darn when there busted for lying cause theyve no shame whatseover. Real sad but real true.

Robin Seymour was invited to a Supremes recording session by Berry Gordy. He wrote about his shock and surprised at how they had to spoon feed each line of the lyrics to Diana Ross and how Berry would yell at her to start singing because once the music started, she did not know when to begin singing.
    What does this say about Diana Ross though? Again, her main producers over the years have gone on record time and time again to speak about the work ethic of Diana Ross. Sup Fan does a fantastic job of outlining this in a previous post. Whatever Robin witnessed needs some context. What song was it? When was this? Isn't an artist allowed to have a weakness, like finding it difficult to figure out a particular song? Isn't the job of the producer to figure out how to get the best possible performance from the singer, no matter what? Berry Gordy was apparently the producer of this session. Could the problem have been him? After all, we've never heard that HDH had to spoon feed anything to her.

I don't lie. He had a problem with her.
    Did he tell you that or are you going off of these mysterious "reports"? And let's say it is the truth that they didn't get along while recording Baby It's Me. Apparently whatever it was wasn't so bad that they refused to work together on not one but two projects in the 1980s. Are you willing to admit that you were at least wrong about Perry not working with Ross again?

Eaten Alive could've been okay had a certain pop star not been added
    "Eaten Alive" did as well as it did because of Michael Jackson, not in spite of. Let's not rewrite history because you've changed your opinion about the man.

Wasn’t their one recording session where HDH were literally writing or rewriting the lyrics while the Supremes/Diana were laying down vocals?

You know why the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What does this say about Diana Ross though? Again, her main producers over the years have gone on record time and time again to speak about the work ethic of Diana Ross. Sup Fan does a fantastic job of outlining this in a previous post. Whatever Robin witnessed needs some context. What song was it? When was this? Isn't an artist allowed to have a weakness, like finding it difficult to figure out a particular song? Isn't the job of the producer to figure out how to get the best possible performance from the singer, no matter what? Berry Gordy was apparently the producer of this session. Could the problem have been him? After all, we've never heard that HDH had to spoon feed anything to her.
    Thank you, RanRan. In The Hollands' Come And Get These Memories, in the chapter "Diana, Mary & Florence", Eddie Holland has a great account of the Where Did Our Love Go recording session. It was ultimately "the only time I have ever had friction with Diana. Because to me, she was a jewel...always inspirational.."
    He confirms that it was he who thought Mary's voice would be more suited for the song but both Brian and Lamont Dozier laughed and didn't think he was serious. They did agree to cut the track in a lower key. The main take-away I got from this is that Where Did Our Love Go was an important song, a serious concerted project to take the Supremes to the next level. It was not a trivial ditty meant for other artists at Motown.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 10-17-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Did he tell you that or are you going off of these mysterious "reports"? And let's say it is the truth that they didn't get along while recording Baby It's Me. Apparently whatever it was wasn't so bad that they refused to work together on not one but two projects in the 1980s. Are you willing to admit that you were at least wrong about Perry not working with Ross again?
    Lionel Richie had a problem with her and he did one more song with her called Missing You about 3-4 years after they recorded "Endless Love" and nothing else since! I don't even think they have appeared together anywhere to reprise "Endless Love". He said everyone at Motown was friendly, but she was "aloof"!

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Wasn’t their one recording session where HDH were literally writing or rewriting the lyrics while the Supremes/Diana were laying down vocals?
    I believe it was I HEAR A SYMPHONY.

Lionel Richie had a problem with her and he did one more song with her called Missing You about 3-4 years after they recorded "Endless Love" and nothing else since! I don't even think they have appeared together anywhere to reprise "Endless Love". He said everyone at Motown was friendly, but she was "aloof"!
    Let it go. Lionel loves her and has said so. Your sick obsession to trash Diane Ross on a daily basis isnt healthy. GET A LIFE cause your pis*ng away this one fussing over a woman who couldnt care less about you.

You may just have to eat your words next year Miss Marv. Just saying

Why is this man obsessed with people's thoughts on Diana? Lionel has pushed for Diana to be at Glastonbury for years! Not even Mary hates Diana and neither did Flo. Like come on... this man is holding on to this grudge that started when the woman told him "no cameras", and he won't go to a Mary show because she might say the same thing. Just let him post by himself. We know what he says is not true at the slightest.

You know why the big deal.
    In the scheme of life it is but a dot on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Thank you, RanRan. In The Hollands' Come And Get These Memories, in the chapter "Diana, Mary & Florence", Eddie Holland has a great account of the Where Did Our Love Go recording session. It was ultimately "the only time I have ever had friction with Diana. Because to me, she was a jewel...always inspirational.."
    He confirms that it was he thought Mary's voice would be more suited for the song but both Brian and Lamont Dozier laughed and didn't think he was serious. They did agree to cut the track in a lower key. The main take-away I got from this is that Where Did Our Love Go was an important song, a serious concerted project to take the Supremes to the next level. It was not a trivial ditty meant for other artists at Motown.
    I contacted my local library about this book a couple weeks ago for purchase. They hadn't bought it yet. I got an email last week saying it's on the way and expect to read it soon. Can't wait!

But HDH have been very vocal about their love of Diana Ross. I suspect that if they hated working with her there's no way they would've gotten ten number ones and additional smash hits and albums out of their collab with one another. Something would've been off and the stuff wouldn't have been so good.

Marv I have a headache from beating my head against your brick wall. You pulled the Lionel thing out of your ass and I don't feel the need to address it. What will do is ask you again: are you willing to admit that you were wrong about Richard Perry? You said the reason he never worked with her again was because they didn't get along and you were wrong about them never working together again [[which of course also means you could be wrong about them having a problem in studio). You gonna man up or what?

Another lie! They have never appeared anywhere to reprise Endless Love. Well what is this? Lol
    If he has a problem with her. Then why appear with her here?
    https://youtu.be/7Bwwo7ctG10

Why is this man obsessed with people's thoughts on Diana? Lionel has pushed for Diana to be at Glastonbury for years! Not even Mary hates Diana and neither did Flo. Like come on... this man is holding on to this grudge that started when the woman told him "no cameras", and he won't go to a Mary show because she might say the same thing. Just let him post by himself. We know what he says is not true at the slightest.
    This board is chocked full of nuts man. One dude is obsessed with Mary, while another dude is obsessed with Diana, and then they both have an army who champions their cause. And then there's this new thing of a group of them following Marv around to every thread and concerned with what shows he's attending and what books he's buying. What the fuck is going on in this place?! This is why my breaks from the forum get longer and longer. It's exhausting to read through a lot of this crap.

Marv I have a headache from beating my head against your brick wall. You pulled the Lionel thing out of your ass and I don't feel the need to address it. What will do is ask you again: are you willing to admit that you were wrong about Richard Perry? You said the reason he never worked with her again was because they didn't get along and you were wrong about them never working together again [[which of course also means you could be wrong about them having a problem in studio). You gonna man up or what?
    I am sorry, but I did not make that up. I could pull the article up where says that. BUT! This thread was suppose to be about the 50th Anniversary of a great song, "Someday We'll Be Together", at least that was how it started and that was my original intent. I was hoping to hear more of people's personal memories about this song and the time that it was released. I can remember Diana Ross saying on their "Farewell" album that the song means different things to different people. I've heard it played right after funerals etc. For me it just brings up memories of what was a carefree childhood and how happy I was in general around the time this song came out. I don't want to talk about anything else here from this point on.

This board is chocked full of nuts man. One dude is obsessed with Mary, while another dude is obsessed with Diana, and then they both have an army who champions their cause. And then there's this new thing of a group of them following Marv around to every thread and concerned with what shows he's attending and what books he's buying. What the fuck is going on in this place?! This is why my breaks from the forum get longer and longer. It's exhausting to read through a lot of this crap.
    Name:  DOOL.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  53.8 KB
    Or insert any telenovela here.

People are remembering. Here the FLOS mark the 50th Anniversary of "Someday We'll Be Together"

For those who missed the original recorded in 1961........

From the first to very last recording of "Someday, Well Be Together" [[I know it was recorded again after this, but is the last one with Diana, Mary and Cindy)

I am sorry, but I did not make that up. I could pull the article up where says that. BUT! This thread was suppose to be about the 50th Anniversary of a great song, "Someday We'll Be Together", at least that was how it started and that was my original intent. I was hoping to hear more of people's personal memories about this song and the time that it was released. I can remember Diana Ross saying on their "Farewell" album that the song means different things to different people. I've heard it played right after funerals etc. For me it just brings up memories of what was a carefree childhood and how happy I was in general around the time this song came out. I don't want to talk about anything else here from this point on.
    LMAO. I love it when you get called out for you BS and real tall tales you play Mary Sunshine. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 10-17-2019 at 08:32 PM.

How come Mary shuns Marv?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    How come Mary shuns Marv?
    Same reason everyone else does, I'm thinkin ?

I AGREE ON BOTH FRONTS.

It's just too much... that's why half the time I don't comment on Supremes posts because both sides think their favorite is the greatest thing since sliced bread and were perfect people or something.

It's frustrating.

So you are still not man enough to admit you were wrong about Richard Perry not working with Diana again?

I had never heard the original 61 version before. Not to inspiring lol.
    I have no memories of the song when first released as i was to young. I do think quite possibly that it might not have been as successful had it been Diana's first solo single.
    The plaintive, wistful lyrics and the fact that it was the Supremes last single together lent the song further pathos. Had it been released at a later date it might not have had the same impact.

I have no memories of the song when first released as i was to young. I do think quite possibly that it might not have been as successful had it been Diana's first solo single.
    The plaintive, wistful lyrics and the fact that it was the Supremes last single together lent the song further pathos. Had it been released at a later date it might not have had the same impact.
    I agree. It was the perfect farewell song for Diana. Sombre, wistful and emotional. It worked far better as the final DRATS single rather than Diana's debut. A perfect way to move from one decade to another.
    I still maintain that Reach out and touch was a great choice for Diana's solo debut. Had she performed it on Ed Sullivan as originally planned i am sure it would have gone top 10.

I agree. I think that was an excellent marketing move to do what they did.

So you are still not man enough to admit you were wrong about Richard Perry not working with Diana again?
    I saw a documentary last night about lawyer Roy Cohn. He taught our current President to double down, lie, never admit that you were wrong, and to deflect tp something else when he is boxed in a corner. I don't think that we will ever see our lying President admit that he was wrong. Marv won't either. With his backing by Ralph, we just have to live with it and hope that SOMEDAY........

I agree. It was the perfect farewell song for Diana. Sombre, wistful and emotional. It worked far better as the final DRATS single rather than Diana's debut. A perfect way to move from one decade to another.
    I still maintain that Reach out and touch was a great choice for Diana's solo debut. Had she performed it on Ed Sullivan as originally planned i am sure it would have gone top 10.
    i don't know. i do agree that with more tv promotion, it could have done better.

But i still think the dreamy waltz atmosphere of the song is just not that exciting. The supremes debuted with Ladder and good god! a totally new sound, theme and it builds to a tremendous ending.

Reach certainly builds but it's just never worked for me

Imagine if Mountain had been her debut!!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I saw a documentary last night about lawyer Roy Cohn. He taught our current President to double down, lie, never admit that you were wrong, and to deflect tp something else when he is boxed in a corner. I don't think that we will ever see our lying President admit that he was wrong. Marv won't either. With his backing by Ralph, we just have to live with it and hope that SOMEDAY........
    I guess the most important thing is that he got caught lying. The very fact that he is too much of a coward to hold his hands up and admit he was wrong makes it even funnier, not to mention very embarassing for him.

^^^ No. No. No. No. No.

The most important thing is that your incessant arguments have ruined what should have been a perfectly good thread.

I'M BEGINNING TO HATE YOU ALL.

^144 you bring up a very valid point. We've all been guilty of egging on [[and sometime even engaging) in inappropriate behavior.

I think all of us should step back, exhale and refocus ourselves on the music and the Supremes. Let's engage in POSITIVE dialog and avoid mud slinging - either to the girls or to Soulful members. And if someone DOES make an inappropriate comment, you can always block them or simply ignore their post.

144 - i do hope you don't abandon the forum. we've had too many members slip away over the years. the only way these work and provide value is if we share and dialog. I hope you'll stay around

The original version is not that good. Sometimes original versions are not as juiced as they appear to be lol

I agree all around.

Well I think it's sad that you refuse to admit your "mistake". You want people to take your word for stuff but even when there's proof that you're wrong you stick with your story and it diminishes your word. You should be more mature than that at this stage of your life.

But you are right about one thing, this thread should be about the music [[although it is your fault that the thread moved from the music to your disdain for Diana Ross).

As far as my "Someday We'll Be Together" memories go, since I was born many years later, my earliest memory of the song, I believe, is when it was used on an episode of "The Wonder Years".

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Name:  DOOL.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  53.8 KB
    Or insert any telenovela here.
    Not even. More like this...

Name:  Crazies.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  92.7 KB

Or insert any movie about the certifiably insane.