[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

50 Years Ago Today! October 14, 1969

50 years ago today! October 14, 1969 "Someday We'll Be Together" was released. It's hard for me to believe, but I remember just how popular this record was. I remember my parents playing it at one of their house parties, as well as the radio stations in Detroit and Toledo playing it a lot:

One of the greatest in their catalog. I know a few people who are not Supremes/Diana Ross fans in the least but love "Someday We'll Be Together". Perfect record from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    One of the greatest in their catalog. I know a few people who are not Supremes/Diana Ross fans in the least but love "Someday We'll Be Together". Perfect record from top to bottom.
    Totally agree. A beautifully controlled vocal performance from Diana. Rarely was a song so well suited to her voice. A timeless classic.

it's an excellent record. my fav version is the one with the tambourine intro. i love the intro and think the mix is the best. the more common one has the bgs mixed a bit too far back. and the mix on the #1 cd is not a very good one IMO

The is the more commonly known version and the one I remember from the radio:

The DSO [[Detroit Symphony Orchestra) did great job on this recording.

It's symbolic of Diana Ross saying "Goodbye" to the Supremes. Always has been. And oh if you want a long uncut take that is more powerful with the intro here you go....

This was the first public confirmation [[beginning at 17:40 in this video) that Ross was leaving the Supremes and that Terrell would be replacing her. From North American powerhouse station out of Windsor, Ontario Canada.....CKLW!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mpxf0

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    It's symbolic of Diana Ross saying "Goodbye" to the Supremes. Always has been. And oh if you want a long uncut take that is more powerful with the intro here you go....
    I heard this alternate before. I never liked it. Sounds too mournful.

The version I like best is the one Marv posted at top of the thread. It starts with the tambourine, which was the first way that I heard it, and there is an instrument that starts like a pounding piano at the ten-second mark that I love [[what is that?) The DSO seems to be more prominent in this version too.

This is my all-time favorite Supremes song and one my all-time favorite songs.
    A couple of months after its release in October, it became the last number one song of the sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The version I like best is the one Marv posted at top of the thread. It starts with the tambourine, which was the first way that I heard it, and there is an instrument that starts like a pounding piano at the ten-second mark that I love [[what is that?) The DSO seems to be more prominent in this version too.

This is my all-time favorite Supremes song and one my all-time favorite songs.
    A couple of months after its release in October, it became the last number one song of the sixties.
    i believe the instrument making the pounding piano sound is.... a piano lol

as for studio versions, there's the tambourine one, the non-tam one and then the L&F one. plus a more recently mixed version on #1.

any other studio versions?

Live [[w DMC) - i think we only have Farewell. unless you count the 30 seconds on Motown 25. then there's the JMC version with Smokey. and it was occasionally included in some of the 60s medleys throughout the 70s

Mary also recorded a live version for her "I Am Changing" CD:

I love this version. The audience were really into it:

I still find a it a bit hard believing it's been 50 years. I have many good, clear memories of the time when this song was current and very popular. One of the best time periods of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love this version. The audience were really into it:

Sorry but that versions one hot mess.

The studio version was one of the greatest recordings in soul history.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i believe the instrument making the pounding piano sound is.... a piano lol
    Figures, I love piano. And I love that note at ten seconds. It is very prominent in this mix. I made a ringtone starting at that point with that mix. It gets my attention when the phone rings.

50 years? It still sounds great with Johnny Bristol's vocals in the background and of course the Funk Brothers. Why were Mary and Cindy not singing on this recording knowing this was a farewell song?

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    50 years? It still sounds great with Johnny Bristol's vocals in the background and of course the Funk Brothers. Why were Mary and Cindy not singing on this recording knowing this was a farewell song?
    They are not singing on it because the music and background vocals on the track were already recorded as this was originally intended for Junior Walker. Mr. Gordy heard it and thought it would make a great record for Diana Ross' first solo release. He then later decided to release it as the last single for Diana Ross & The Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong didn't know anything about any farewell song. The DSO also made this record special in my opinion. The strings were perfect on it.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissFlo93 View Post
    The first version in this thread is perfect with Diana, Johnny, DSO, the turned up background singers, and that piano .

Diana in this alternate version is not good at all. How real is the story of Johnny coaching her or boosting her on? I hear him on this version too and it didn't work.

The first version in this thread is perfect with Diana, Johnny, DSO, the turned up background singers, and that piano .

Diana in this alternate version is not good at all. How real is the story of Johnny coaching her or boosting her on? I hear him on this version too and it didn't work.
    This version isn't too bad. For sure, it doesn't match the version that was released but it sounds like Diana basically has her interpretation down but just needs to finetune it a bit.

I never heard anyone dispute Johnny's story that he went into another booth and sort of pushed Diana along as she was getting tired. But his "boosts" on this alternate version are the very same ones that are on the hit single so maybe he didn't have to do it that much. Or at least any of his alternate versions have yet to surface.

It is true about Johnny Bristol. He, Mary Wilson ,his daughter Karla and even Diana Ross herself all confirmed that. He says "sing it pretty", "do you mean it honey", "say it baby, say it", "oh yes now baby", "sing it" . I highly doubt those were left on a track that was originally recorded for Junior Walker! LOL! When he went into studio with Diane, he coached and prodded her through the song, something most good background singers do in Gospel and R&B. They push the lead singer, encourage them, make them "feel it".

Now don't ask me to go and find links and stuff. I ain't no research dept. I just know what I know from listening, reading and talking to people involved in some way.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-15-2019 at 09:01 PM.

I agree with what you said. The alternate version needed work. It was not Diana at her best. The prodding worked. The released version is perfect. But mine is a technical question. Why is he heard on this alternate take?

I have an alternate take on a cassette somewhere in my garage that I got about forty years ago. He can be heard on that version, although that cassette may very well be the same alternate version that is here.

I agree with what you said. The alternate version needed work. It was not Diana at her best. The prodding worked. The released version is perfect. But mine is a technical question. Why is he heard on this alternate take?

I have an alternate take on a cassette somewhere in my garage that I got about forty years ago. He can be heard on that version, although that cassette may very well be the same alternate version that is here.
    They did not do it in one take. The alternate take is just one of several. Diana Ross is notorious for getting moody in the studio when recording. Johnny Bristol would have had to figure out some way to make her "sing". They had to get her nearly drunk when recording "Love Hangover" and you've heard what the Holland brothers had to go through to get the vocal they wanted for "Where Did Our Love Go?".

You notice Johnny Bristol is one of the first voices you hear once the record starts humming right along with Diana. I know his being there and doing what he did resulted in this record become a number one smash hit and now a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This version isn't too bad. For sure, it doesn't match the version that was released but it sounds like Diana basically has her interpretation down but just needs to finetune it a bit.

I never heard anyone dispute Johnny's story that he went into another booth and sort of pushed Diana along as she was getting tired. But his "boosts" on this alternate version are the very same ones that are on the hit single so maybe he didn't have to do it that much. Or at least any of his alternate versions have yet to surface.
    When Johnny was living out in Brighton [[MI) he had a massive amount of tapes and recordings there before he passed.

They did not do it in one take. The alternate take is just one of several. Diana Ross is notorious for getting moody in the studio when recording. Johnny Bristol would have had to figure out some way to make her "sing". They had to get her nearly drunk when recording "Love Hangover" and you've heard what the Holland brothers had to go through to get the vocal they wanted for "Where Did Our Love Go?".
    She might have had a nip of brandy to loosen up , but i never heard that she was drunk lol.

I love "Someday We'll Be Together", it's such a bittersweet song.I do wonder if it only hit #1 because everyone knew it was the final Diana Ross and The Supremes single. I like the version with the organ playing in the beginning, it feels like you're at a funeral...for the Supremes lol.

Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong didn't know anything about any farewell song. The DSO also made this record special in my opinion. The strings were perfect on it.
    yes and yes

the strings are gorgeous on this record. perfection

and correct, this wasn't planned as a Farewell record. it's simply a coincidence between the breakup of the group and the sentimental tone of the lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    She might have had a nip of brandy to loosen up , but i never heard that she was drunk lol.
    That's not what I heard. I heard she was TUNED way up! They even left her laughter on the released recording! LOL!

actually HDH have been on record saying that Diana was an amazing pro in the studio. she was prepared, knew her material and did most of the songs in just a take or two. Sure there are some songs maybe she didn't like, such as Where initially. but she was barely 20 years old at the time. i think she can be given some credit for that.

Michael masser also compliments diana and he also recognized that he would give her HELL in the studio

A&S have said she was great to work with.

Hal Davis said she knocked the slow sexy part of Hangover out quickly but was so unfamiliar with the disco approach that she felt she just couldn't do it. so not surprised if they gave her a drink or two. then he said they turned on a strobe light and some colored lights to give the place a vibe like a disco. seems ingenious to me as the end result is an amazing song and she "felt it." she laughed, did a little Billie, and just had fun with it.

I spoke to my mom yesterday and mentioned "Someday We'll Be Together" came out 50 years ago this week. She was surprised and told me that she had just heard it on "Soul Town" a sirius satellite radio station the day before. Then we reminisced about Detroit back when this song was new. Neither of us could believe that it has been 50 years already.

That's not what I heard. I heard she was TUNED way up! They even left her laughter on the released recording! LOL!
    even if she was drunk what's the difference? 1) she was of legal age 2) she consented to the alcohol and 3) alcohol isn't an illegal substance such as pot or coke.

Marvin had long acknowledged his need for pot while recording. and lord knows other artists have done much, much worse

actually HDH have been on record saying that Diana was an amazing pro in the studio. she was prepared, knew her material and did most of the songs in just a take or two. Sure there are some songs maybe she didn't like, such as Where initially. but she was barely 20 years old at the time. i think she can be given some credit for that.

Michael masser also compliments diana and he also recognized that he would give her HELL in the studio

A&S have said she was great to work with.

Hal Davis said she knocked the slow sexy part of Hangover out quickly but was so unfamiliar with the disco approach that she felt she just couldn't do it. so not surprised if they gave her a drink or two. then he said they turned on a strobe light and some colored lights to give the place a vibe like a disco. seems ingenious to me as the end result is an amazing song and she "felt it." she laughed, did a little Billie, and just had fun with it.
    Robin Seymour was invited to a Supremes recording session by Berry Gordy. He wrote about his shock and surprised at how they had to spoon feed each line of the lyrics to Diana Ross and how Berry would yell at her to start singing because once the music started, she did not know when to begin singing. She has worked with a number of high profile producers over the years. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never worked with her again or even speaks about the "Baby It's Me" album? The Gibb Brothers talked about what a nightmare it was recording her the 80s.

even if she was drunk what's the difference? 1) she was of legal age 2) she consented to the alcohol and 3) alcohol isn't an illegal substance such as pot or coke.

Marvin had long acknowledged his need for pot while recording. and lord knows other artists have done much, much worse
    You missed the point and this is not that serious!

Robin Seymour was invited to a Supremes recording session by Berry Gordy. He wrote about his shock and surprised at how they had to spoon feed each line of the lyrics to Diana Ross and how Berry would yell at her to start singing because once the music started, she did not know when to begin singing. She has worked with a number of high profile producers over the years. Ever wonder why Richard Perry never worked with her again or even speaks about the "Baby It's Me" album? The Gibb Brothers talked about what a nightmare it was recording her the 80s.
    actually she did work with Perry. she brought him in and he handled the single mix of of So Close.

also Perry had begun work on the follow up album to Baby It's Me but because the songs weren't successful it was decided to move on. The album didn't produce any major hits so why bother with another

actually she did work with Perry. she brought him in and he handled the single mix of of So Close.

also Perry had begun work on the follow up album to Baby It's Me but because the songs weren't successful it was decided to move on. The album didn't produce any major hits so why bother with another
    Perry also produced her hit duet with Julio Iglesias, ALL OF YOU.

Uh, uh, that's not why. Don't you remember the reports of that recording session in 1977?
    Last edited by marv2; 10-16-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Motown barely promoted Baby It's Me as it is. That always bothered me.

Marv always says Richard Perry didn’t work with Diana Ross again. I pointed this out in another thread that he has. He just keeps up with his lies.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Marv always says Richard Perry didn’t work with Diana Ross again. I pointed this out in another thread that he has. He just keeps up with his lies.
    I don't lie. He had a problem with her. You're stupid and don't know much but how to worship this woman.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-16-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Motown barely promoted Baby It's Me as it is. That always bothered me.
    Motown did have these huge paintings/posters up of the album cover in Peaches Records at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Dood should work as the djt White House press secretary!

Yes he did. Marv is once again talking through his rear end. Little wonder he is so full of shit.

I know Barry Gibb and i have discussed his working relationship with Diana. He says that Chain Reaction is his all time favorite creation for another artist. He even sent some demos to Diana a couple of years back which she foolishly rejected. He said he would happily work with Diana again. It is the late Maurice Gibb who clashed with Diana, and that was never a great issue because he was hardly involved with the Eaten Alive album. It was Barry and to a lesser extent Robin who were in the studio with her.
    Barry may yet be involved again with Diana again on a future project. Watch this space.

I don't lie. He had a problem with her. You're stupid and don't know much but how to worship this woman.
    Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe. You never lie when your asleep but every waking moment you spew more lies than President Pus*y Grabber. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe. You never lie when your asleep but every waking moment you spew more lies than President Pus*y Grabber. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.
    Thank you Roberta. A very good comparison. I don’t know how he can say he don’t lie with a straight face. Lol

How do you get Maurice and Barry Gibb confused? BG loved Diana, still does. Maurice, bless his soul, didn't work as hard as Barry. Robin, bless HIS soul as well, was more attentive but Barry controlled the sessions. Eaten Alive could've been okay had a certain pop star not been added and the album was called Chain Reaction lol