[REMOVE ADS]

Music In RANGE ROVER Commercial Reminds Me Of Gladys Knight Song

The music in the Range Rover commercial has a similar sound to Gladys Knight & the Pips' EVERY BEAT OF MY HEART. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

I did some research and the song being played in the commercial is "A Place In My Heart" by Dom James featuring Emma Smith. I honestly have not heard of them. Also, there seems to be no recording available.

But it is a nice song. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

Last edited by milven; 10-14-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Well, I just listened to them side by side, and the commercial sounds a whole lot like Every Beat of My Heart

Funny, I saw this same commercial earlier this year and the song caught my attention, but I did not pick up on the almost identical similarity to Every Beat of My Heart at the time. But it does indeed sound very, very similar. Nice catch.

I definitely hear the similarities.

Just found this on Reddit:

Land Rover has stated that this is an unreleased original song "A Place In My Heart" by Dom James, et al, featuring you. on vocals HOWEVER - the absence of a full song release is probably due to great similarity to a 1952 motown classic "Every Beat of my Heart" by Johnny Otis, and especially similar in arrangement to the 1961 cover version of that by Gladys Knight & the Pips. Perhaps they asked James to compose 30 seconds of "something like this" and there never was a full version. Perhaps there are royalty/permission issues with the owners of the original, and/or figuring out if they or Dom James can make it worth their while economically for a general release. Also maybe negotiating with the owners for back-royalties if they tried to crib from it without permission.

Some analysis:

ORIGINAL BY JOHNNY OTIS 1952: Same 1st 4 notes & same chord sequence, but just a choral wash background thereafter, no real rhythm or percussion https://youtu.be/UPLsqs9mkfM

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS 1961. VERY much like the opening of the Land Rover Dom James / Etta Smith song: the slow acapella voice opening, then same treatment as used by LandRover, with syncopated upbeat entry of the bass into a 3/4 shuffling waltz beat. https://youtu.be/36I9neyNCzA

In 1981 Otis released a new version, at least on this show, with the same bass entry and shuffling waltz beat as in the Pips' version https://youtu.be/cV_ytLMMAAE
    Then in 2018 a new recording or remastering of the 1961 Pips version. I actually prefer the 1961 recording, when the beat kicks in the Pips high vocals above Gladys' main line are more proiminent in the mix, like a gospel choir, which I think is just fabulous. But overall the sonics are better, here in 1080 HD stereoo https://youtu.be/MI71yyterAg

Thank you Lockhartgary. That was very informative. I either forgot, or never knew, that there was a 1952 version.

But I do remember when there were two versions of this song on the charts at the same time. Vee Jay bought the master to a Pips record from their old label and released it. The Pips were at their new label Fury, re-recorded the song and released it as Gladys Knight & the Pips. Both versions of the song charted and the Pips and Gladys Knight and the Pips were competing on the charts. Years later, the group recorded the song a third time on Soul.

Quite a history for the song. And now, in a way, it is being used as a Rover commercial. Thanks for this informative info

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thank you Lockhartgary. That was very informative. I either forgot, or never knew, that there was a 1952 version.

But I do remember when there were two versions of this song on the charts at the same time. Vee Jay bought the master to a Pips record from their old label and released it. The Pips were at their new label Fury, re-recorded the song and released it as Gladys Knight & the Pips. Both versions of the song charted and the Pips and Gladys Knight and the Pips were competing on the charts. Years later, the group recorded the song a third time on Soul.

Quite a history for the song. And now, in a way, it is being used as a Rover commercial. Thanks for this informative info
    You are welcome.