[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    That just reminds me: why doesn't she open her concerts with her ballads anymore? Can you imagine her doing It's My Turn as an opener? That would be epic.

Regarding what record label Diana has now signed to, i'm assuming it's not another return to motown??....................or is it?. Does anyone know????

It would make a refreshing change for Diana to drop "I'm Coming Out" as the show opener. It's such an obvious choice and has been done to death.
    Having seen her open with "It's My Turn", i think an uptempo song works best overall in creating that all important initial impact.
    I would like to see either "He Lives In You" or "The Boss" take over. ICO could feature later in the show.
    In a perfect world i would have the second song as the slow version of "Not Over You Yet". If Babs can change it up, why can't Diana?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It would make a refreshing change for Diana to drop "I'm Coming Out" as the show opener. It's such an obvious choice and has been done to death.
    Having seen her open with "It's My Turn", i think an uptempo song works best overall in creating that all important initial impact.
    I would like to see either "He Lives In You" or "The Boss" take over. ICO could feature later in the show.
    In a perfect world i would have the second song as the slow version of "Not Over You Yet". If Babs can change it up, why can't Diana?.
    She will open up her set at Glastonbury with I'm coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thanks ! what say you about my other inquiry?

[/COLOR]
    I honestly do not know. I was told two companies offered her similar terms, but until i receive official confirmation i would rather not say. It is likely to be a 2 album deal with at least one UK tour as one of the terms of the agreement. Other European dates are now looking more favourable, but she is reluctant to commit to a world tour. That is all i know at the moment. Sorry.

Do we need a new Hits CD???
    We just got a new one about a year ago.
    I say reissue the original 76 or One Woman.
    I am sure Diana will switch the show up for this. But there are do many Ross classics I'm sure it's hard to put them all in.
    But for fun.heres a few of my choices.
    Tenderness
    It's my turn
    Chain reaction
    Crimes of Passion
    Touch me in the morning
    Good morning heartache
    My baby my own
    I'm still waiting
    Love hangover
    The boss
    Come in from the rain
    If you're not gonna love me right
    Love will conguer all
    Getting ready for love
    Today I fell in love
    One shinning moment
    Give up
    Waiting in the wings
    Take me higher
    Not over you yet
    Upside down
    One love in my lifetime
    Never say I don't love you
    Remember me
    Carry on

I know I'm dreaming.lol

Happy Diana is doing well and getting her props despite the jealous haters

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Do we need a new Hits CD???
    We just got a new one about a year ago.
    I say reissue the original 76 or One Woman.
    I am sure Diana will switch the show up for this. But there are do many Ross classics I'm sure it's hard to put them all in.
    But for fun.heres a few of my choices.
    Tenderness
    It's my turn
    Chain reaction
    Crimes of Passion
    Touch me in the morning
    Good morning heartache
    My baby my own
    I'm still waiting
    Love hangover
    The boss
    Come in from the rain
    If you're not gonna love me right
    Love will conguer all
    Getting ready for love
    Today I fell in love
    One shinning moment
    Give up
    Waiting in the wings
    Take me higher
    Not over you yet
    Upside down
    One love in my lifetime
    Never say I don't love you
    Remember me
    Carry on

I know I'm dreaming.lol
    Yes you are dreaming but i think it is a most pleasant dream. Nothing wrong with that.

Considering I'm Coming Out is now by far her most streamed track in the UK and has been getting airplay in connection with the news of her Glastonbury gig plus many positive comments it would seem the ideal song for that all important opening.

We have to remember it's a mainstream and not a concert audience.

I’m tired of I’m Coming Out but it’s got to be the opener

Back in the 80s, I remember when she would do longer shows. “I’m coming out” sometimes would be used as an opening for the second half.

I saw a video clip of a performance in the 70s where it appeared that she started the show with touched me in the morning.

In 1971 at the Waldorf she opened at least one show with I Loves Ya Porgy. But the slower arrangement the way it is on BLUE. A somewhat odd choice lyrically but different! She opened a Universal Amphitheater show with Endless Love. Maybe it was during the TAKE ME HIGHER tour? Don't exactly remember. As mentioned earlier the SWEPT AWAY tour often started with "It's My Turn."

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    In 1971 at the Waldorf she opened at least one show with I Loves Ya Porgy. But the slower arrangement the way it is on BLUE. A somewhat odd choice lyrically but different! She opened a Universal Amphitheater show with Endless Love. Maybe it was during the TAKE ME HIGHER tour? Don't exactly remember. As mentioned earlier the SWEPT AWAY tour often started with "It's My Turn."
    I think I remember reading that ENDLESS LOVE opened her 1984 Universal Amphitheatre shows but don't quote me on that.

I think It's My Turn would be a good opener but A stand out track either way

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    She actually opened with Swept Away when i saw her on that tour. It seems that she added some variety to that particular tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She actually opened with Swept Away when i saw her on that tour. It seems that she added some variety to that particular tour.
    I remember seeing her in London at the Royal Albert Hall in 85 where she walked through from the back of the audience singing "It's My Turn". It was an exciting and unexpected entrance.
    The highlight of the show for me was an inch-perfect version of "Telephone".

I remember seeing her in London at the Royal Albert Hall in 85 where she walked through from the back of the audience singing "It's My Turn". It was an exciting and unexpected entrance.
    The highlight of the show for me was an inch-perfect version of "Telephone".
    I know how pissed off i was with EMI when they refused to release Swept Away as a single in the UK despite it's success in the USA, and yet here was Diana singing it as the opening for her show. They were clueless and had no idea how to market her at that time.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 10-20-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Not finished the post

I didn't realise that Swept Away wasn't released as a single in UK. But I have wondered the same when the USA didn't release Not Over You Yet as a single.
    What! What about the Chain Reaction mess here....wtf. radio started playing it and then they just stopped.
    I'm Still Waiting.....motowns fault!

I know how pissed off i was with EMI when they refused to release Swept Away as a single in the UK despite it's success in the USA, and yet here was Diana singing it as the opening for her show. They were clueless and had no idea how to market her at that time.
    Any particular reason why they refused to release Swept Away here, Blue?

The Daryl Hall connection would have gotten great publicity and for some strange reason it was the uptempo songs which did better than the ballads in the UK in the 80s.

I was very disappointed with their effort behind Touch By Touch - with the right promotion it was surely at least a top 20 hit.

I also felt there were possibilities to Forever Young released as Diana Ross featuring Eric Clapton.

[QUOTE=daviddh;544686]

Waiting is a tough one - I doubt it was ever seen as a single and it only surfaced in the UK in the summer of '71 when Tony Blackburn a UK DJ championed it.

Motown released in the US a couple of months later but it was too late by then - had the potential been realised sooner and it had been the follow-up to Mountain or even come on the heels of Remember Me the story could have been a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I didn't realise that Swept Away wasn't released as a single in UK. But I have wondered the same when the USA didn't release Not Over You Yet as a single.
    What! What about the Chain Reaction mess here....wtf. radio started playing it and then they just stopped.

I'm Still Waiting.....motowns fault!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLZcOpThpM Looks like the concert attendees liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Any particular reason why they refused to release Swept Away here, Blue?

The Daryl Hall connection would have gotten great publicity and for some strange reason it was the uptempo songs which did better than the ballads in the UK in the 80s.

I was very disappointed with their effort behind Touch By Touch - with the right promotion it was surely at least a top 20 hit.

I also felt there were possibilities to Forever Young released as Diana Ross featuring Eric Clapton.
    A couple of good friends of mine worked at EMI. One still does actually. I asked him why Swept Away was not to be issued as a single. He said they did not think it had hit potential. They did not spend much money on promoting the swept away album . They were disappointed when touch by touch was only a minor hit, but they did not promote that either. Even Diana was surprised that swept away was not issued as a single. EMI were a shambles at this time. Heads had to roll and indeed did roll not long afterwards.
    The music business is a cut throat business and sometimes one has to make unpopular decisions. Nice guys always come second. This lethargy had to stop. By the time Force behind the power came out harsh lessons had been learned and only the most committed and hard working staff remained. The results reflected this. Those unpopular decisions became fully justified.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 10-20-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Not finished the post

Perhaps part of the reasoning in not releasing "SA" in the UK was that "Mirror Mirror" only scraped into the 30's and that was when Diana was at her popularity peak.
    I have to agree with EMI on this one in that i really don't think "Swept Away" would have done that much had it been released. Even the beautiful "Missing You" dive bombed despite ooodles of airplay.
    I blame the lack of interest in the UK on those first two albums.

The Why Do Fools album did pretty well in the UK reaching #17 and going Gold.

It was one of the top 100 selling albums for 1981.

I was always puzzled by the lack of success for Missing You in the UK.

Apparently it was repromoted a couple of times and must have spent 3 or 4 months in the top 200 stalling at #76.

I just don't understand how a major company like EMI couldn't break a record into the top 75 when apparently they were trying to.

Lack of singles success killed off the SA album which for me ranks as one of Diana's finest.

I hated Swept Away, both single and album. There was very little quality hit potential during the RCA debacle.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 10-21-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I hated Swept Away, both single and album. There was very little quality hit potential during the RCA debacle.
    There were a few gems scattered here and there during the rca years, but there was far too much dross too. She did not cut any totally essential albums during this period, but most of the albums had at least a couple of great tracks.

I honestly do not know. I was told two companies offered her similar terms, but until i receive official confirmation i would rather not say. It is likely to be a 2 album deal with at least one UK tour as one of the terms of the agreement. Other European dates are now looking more favourable, but she is reluctant to commit to a world tour. That is all i know at the moment. Sorry.
    I'm impressed that at this point in her career Diana's got two companies courting her. Good for her!!

I just don't understand how a major company like EMI couldn't break a record into the top 75 when apparently they were trying to.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    As i stated in a previous post in this thread they had people who really where out of their depth with their attempts to promote the product. Yiu really don't want to know.....

As i stated in a previous post in this thread they had people who really where out of their depth with their attempts to promote the product. Yiu really don't want to know.....
    I can imagine... Having said that "Missing You" was an odd case. I listened to a lot of radio back then,and "Missing You" was played all the time.
    It seems that at that point in time after three less then stellar albums the UK public had lost faith in her. She had not had a hit since "Muscles" and even fans were becoming disillusioned.
    It's also quite possible the british public were just not very smitten with the song.

I can imagine... Having said that "Missing You" was an odd case. I listened to a lot of radio back then,and "Missing You" was played all the time.
    It seems that at that point in time after three less then stellar albums the UK public had lost faith in her. She had not had a hit since "Muscles" and even fans were becoming disillusioned.
    It's also quite possible the british public were just not very smitten with the song.
    I don't recall hearing Missing You that often on the radio, but you obviously do so maybe you have a point about the public losing faith in her at that time, but i still maintain that not enough effort was put into promoting the product. It requires lots of hard work to get that publicity machine working well.

I don't recall hearing Missing You that often on the radio, but you obviously do so maybe you have a point about the public losing faith in her at that time, but i still maintain that not enough effort was put into promoting the product. It requires lots of hard work to get that publicity machine working well.
    Yes.

Chain Reaction was such a great record and dance floor filler it became a monster in spite of rather than because of the record company.

It was the clubs, discos and music TV Channels which broke it.

Yes.

Chain Reaction was such a great record and dance floor filler it became a monster in spite of rather than because of the record company.

It was the clubs, discos and music TV Channels which broke it.
    The chain reaction video was off the chain. I loved it.

Watch this space UK fans. There should be an announcement imminently.

I remember Missing You wasn't getting a lot of airplay here in USA until she performed it on the American Music Awards then it hit and climbed the charts to pop 10.
    Chain Reaction was the same..it did not do well until the AMAs then they rereleased it. They finally started playing it but then stopped.never got it..great song. Should of hit big. I think Mary Wilson book took a toll.
    I think when Diana is visable on tv she charts higher then when she doesn't. But I think that has always been the case.
    Just my opinion

Missing You was actually dropping down the charts from a peak of around #50 when Diana appeared on the AMA's in 1985 where they showed her video of the song causing it to rebound up the chart.

Missing You was actually dropping down the charts from a peak of around #50 when Diana appeared on the AMA's in 1985 where they showed her video of the song causing it to rebound up the chart.
    I remember this, but I didn’t make the AMA connection. The song peaked at a disappointing #46 on the pop charts while continuing to move upwards on the R&B chart, eventually hitting #1. When it rebounded, I assumed that pop stations jumped on the song because of its R&B success.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I remember this, but I didn’t make the AMA connection. The song peaked at a disappointing #46 on the pop charts while continuing to move upwards on the R&B chart, eventually hitting #1. When it rebounded, I assumed that pop stations jumped on the song because of its R&B success.
    I remember being surprised when MISSING YOU originally peaked so badly, especially when it followed two Top 20 pop hits. When her next single TELEPHONE didn't chart pop at all, followed by the bad peaks of EATEN ALIVE and CHAIN REACTION, I figured she had lost pop radio. Such a drop from the early 80s.

Most of the crowd at Glastonbury will not have seen a live set from Diana before so it would make perfect sense for her to commence her set with I'm Coming Out which is her most popular streamed song over here.

I'm so looking forward to this. I wish I could make it to a live show but as a teacher I can't get away in time to get there from where I live. The coverage of Glastonbury will be great to watch, though! Bluebrock - please pass on my/our best wishes and excitement to Diana if you are able to. I would dearly love to meet Diana, but I don't suppose that will ever happen, sadly. Really looking forward to seeing Glastonbury, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    I'm so looking forward to this. I wish I could make it to a live show but as a teacher I can't get away in time to get there from where I live. The coverage of Glastonbury will be great to watch, though! Bluebrock - please pass on my/our best wishes and excitement to Diana if you are able to. I would dearly love to meet Diana, but I don't suppose that will ever happen, sadly. Really looking forward to seeing Glastonbury, though!
    I will certainly do that Worntorndress if i get the opportunity to do so.
    I am not sure where you live but there is every chance of more venues being added to this tour, and a very distinct possibility of another tour taking place in 2021 so you may get your chance to see her live.

I am not sure where you live but there is every chance of more venues being added to this tour, and a very distinct possibility of another tour taking place in 2021 so you may get your chance to see her live.
    Thanks Bluebrock, my name is Robert [[in case you get to mention my good wishes to Diana, it's probably politer than 'worntorndress'!). I live in Norwich which, although lovely, is in the centre of Norfolk and not that easy to get to places from in a hurry! What is it that you do with regards to Diana, and making yourself available for her if you don't mind me asking? Am relatively new here and don't know anyone apart from what they post on here! Not even sure who on here is UK based. Perhaps Diana would consider an open air concert at Buckling - Dame Shirley was amazing there some years ago, and I know Elton came and performed in the Norwich City Football Club stadium a few years ago, so that's also a possibility, however they come with the limitations of access that East Anglia has, unfortunately.

Thanks Bluebrock, my name is Robert [[in case you get to mention my good wishes to Diana, it's probably politer than 'worntorndress'!). I live in Norwich which, although lovely, is in the centre of Norfolk and not that easy to get to places from in a hurry! What is it that you do with regards to Diana, and making yourself available for her if you don't mind me asking? Am relatively new here and don't know anyone apart from what they post on here! Not even sure who on here is UK based. Perhaps Diana would consider an open air concert at Buckling - Dame Shirley was amazing there some years ago, and I know Elton came and performed in the Norwich City Football Club stadium a few years ago, so that's also a possibility, however they come with the limitations of access that East Anglia has, unfortunately.
    Norwich is a lovely place to visit, but as you say it is a nightmare to get to. I don't think Diana is likely to visit anytime soon sadly.
    I will pm you later and attempt to address your questions. Hope you are enjoying being a member on here.

Norwich is a lovely place to visit, but as you say it is a nightmare to get to. I don't think Diana is likely to visit anytime soon sadly.
    I will pm you later and attempt to address your questions. Hope you are enjoying being a member on here.
    It's fabulous, so many knowledgeable people interesting posts and conversations!

It's fabulous, so many knowledgeable people interesting posts and conversations!
    Very happy to hear it. Will be in touch as soon as i am able

I have just noticed something. When i first received notification of these dates it said "the only European dates in 2020", but when the official advertisement came out there was no mention of them being the only European dates. Make of that what you will.

Worntorndress im from Norwich too.

I dont know if anyone remembers but there were rumours in the mid 80s that Diana was house hunting in Norfolk...there was even a big piece about it in the local paper.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I dont know if anyone remembers but there were rumours in the mid 80s that Diana was house hunting in Norfolk...there was even a big piece about it in the local paper.
    She retained her home in Chelsea until around 2014. Despite not performing in the UK for a long time she did continue to visit London regularly and performed at a few private functions.
    I have never heard of her househunting in Norfolk. Lovely County though it is i would have thought it rather remote for a hard working superstar.