[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Mary's 15 minutes of recent publicity over?

We've heard the same stuff by now. We also seen Mary's defeat at DWTS.

Is her "Supreme Glamour" book publicity spotlight over?

Are we now focusing on the queen Supreme Diva Diana now?

Post your opinion below.

while i certainly wish mary ongoing success, i'm definitely ready for other topics to emerge here on Soulful. it's getting a bit tiring to see nonstop posts about each and every interview she gives. but i understand that other members enjoy discussing.

still i've been trying to ignite some talk with more posts on the music we love

No, Mary did not have a "so-called" fifteen minutes of whatever. Mary Wilson has been an African American and Rock and Roll / R & B icon for over 50 years. She, Diana and Flo are absolute pioneers who struggled, cried, got discriminated against and shot at so that they, as African American women, could pave the way for all the others that followed. I can recall an article stating that the Supremes were swimming upstream against the currents & you know what? They, along with Motown, won. It took those three - Flo, Diana and Mary - to do this. It couldn't have been any other three women. Who would stick to a plan after all those non-hits? Struggle on shows as the opening acts [[where African Americans were usually relegated), not getting paid, thought of as third-class citizens, I could go on and on. Some people on this forum seem to think that to elevate a certain individual, you need to downgrade the other. IMissFlo93, you stated in another thread something to the effect that Mary's fifteen minutes of fame is up, but I beg to differ. Mary's 50+ years of being a pioneering rock icon are not up.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    No, Mary did not have a "so-called" fifteen minutes of whatever. Mary Wilson has been an African American and Rock and Roll / R & B icon for over 50 years. She, Diana and Flo are absolute pioneers who struggled, cried, got discriminated against and shot at so that they, as African American women, could pave the way for all the others that followed. I can recall an article stating that the Supremes were swimming upstream against the currents & you know what? They, along with Motown, won. It took those three - Flo, Diana and Mary - to do this. It couldn't have been any other three women. Who would stick to a plan after all those non-hits? Struggle on shows as the opening acts [[where African Americans were usually relegated), not getting paid, thought of as third-class citizens, I could go on and on. Some people on this forum seem to think that to elevate a certain individual, you need to downgrade the other. IMissFlo93, you stated in another thread something to the effect that Mary's fifteen minutes of fame is up, but I beg to differ. Mary's 50+ years of being a pioneering rock icon are not up.
    Nailed it! *DEAD* over here!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while i certainly wish mary ongoing success, i'm definitely ready for other topics to emerge here on Soulful. it's getting a bit tiring to see nonstop posts about each and every interview she gives. but i understand that other members enjoy discussing.

still i've been trying to ignite some talk with more posts on the music we love
    I don't even bother to read/watch the endless interviews that a certain member insists upon posting on this forum. His obsession knows no bounds, but i do acknowledge that a handful of members on here are interested in reading/watching these interviews. As long as i don't have to sit through them i have no problem with what he does.
    However, i have loved contributing to your interesting posts which focus on the music we love, and for that i send a heartfelt thanks. Keep up the good work.

Rock icon? None of the Supremes, not even Miss Ross, is a "rock" icon. Diana is a POP icon though.

The pioneering rock icon for 50+ years is this lady, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Rock icon? None of the Supremes, not even Miss Ross, is a "rock" icon. Diana is a POP icon though.

Perhaps Patti is, but NOT without Nona and Sarah!

Maybe/probably/doesn't have to be. If Mary and her handlers use good sense they will schedule a major round of in-person booksignings at Barnes & Noble as well as any independent shops that they can book [[no pun ...). The endless, repetitive "I was THE Supreme" interviews most likely will not sell copies of SG, but in-person signings will. Enough of these events in a short period of time could get the book on real best-seller charts. A home shopping appearance could move a nice batch of copies as well. With holiday buying season coming up it could happen. Major flaw? The cover, with Diana's face all but unrecognizable and no mention of 'Diana Ross and the Supremes' or Motown. Sorry, all, but that's the face and names most recognize.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 10-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.

A most discerning post stingbeelee. The forum heading is Diana Ross & SUPREMES after all.

If I may, I offer that while your statements are all largely correct the statements refer to reputation and historical context rather than actual fame.

Wilson milks everything to death. She does not know when to quit. I am sure she is the last one to leave every party or function so not to miss a photo op or flashbulb.

There is something terribly off about the woman.

I usually avoid threads created by certain screen names once they've solidified their reputation in the forum, but I was curious about what kind of back and forth mess was taking place in the form of responses. Your post is great. I agree 1000 percent!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't even bother to read/watch the endless interviews that a certain member insists upon posting on this forum. His obsession knows no bounds, but i do acknowledge that a handful of members on here are interested in reading/watching these interviews. As long as i don't have to sit through them i have no problem with what he does.
    However, i have loved contributing to your interesting posts which focus on the music we love, and for that i send a heartfelt thanks. Keep up the good work.
    Marv can't be anymore obsessed with Mary's recent high profile than some others were with Diana's birthday stuff earlier this year. Any time the lady's name was mentioned or that damn party, a thread appeared. "Someone Farted At Diana's Birthday Party", "Beyonce Smiled At Diana's Birthday Party", "Diana Ross Arrived At Her Birthday Party". One right after the other. So what's good for the goose...

I think Tina Turner might have something to say about that.

Thanks, Ollie9, Marv2, RanRan79! Hi PeaceNHarmony! I would agree with your statement about my posting. Yes, Mary Wilson does not have the fame that she enjoyed in the 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, in music, the continuance of fame seems to be relegated to Country music, who hold their pioneers in high esteem practically as long as they are on the earth. In Rock & Roll, R & B and Hip-Hop, musicians are easily discarded and its on to the next. I think, that's why you and I are on this forum, so that we can discuss those musicians so that they are not forgotten! Mary Wilson is bound and determined that the Supremes, Motown, and yes, herself, are not forgotten. Practically the whole of women musicians today stand on the shoulders of Diana, Mary and Flo. And, yes, I think that the Supremes are Rock & Roll icons and are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by stingbeelee; 10-08-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Mary will always be a Supreme for those that are interested; the numbers aren't huge.

Dancing With the Stars was a good thing for her; a shame it ended so fast. It created a bump for her.

Most of the world didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think Tina Turner might have something to say about that.
    No arguments here.

I often wonder about t face of diana being unrecognizable. Was it a legal i ssue did diana have t aporove her likeness on a commercial book about her even as part of a group or was t idea t focus on t supremes and not diana ross and the supremes. She w a s featured in t book in several solo shots. But t focus was on t supremes their gowns and legacy

No marys 15 minutes of fame is not over. T supreme glamour book puts the supremes back in t spotlight and their legacy can no longer be erased. As long as mary is still here t spotlite will always shine on her as t surviving member of t original supremes and dancing recipient on dwts

Are people really making something out of the cover photo? Re: Diana, I think it’s really cool. Very dramatic.

Who DOESN'T recognize DR in the cover?

One of the most famous women on the planet? Especially one of the most famous black people? WHAT?

That’s what I’m saying. It’s clearly Diana, lashes, cool hair and dramatic pose. Perfect example of how she just stands out.

One of the most famous women on the planet? Especially one of the most famous black people? WHAT?
    She's not that famous anymore just ask anyone under 50 LOL!

Thanks, Ollie9, Marv2, RanRan79! Hi PeaceNHarmony! I would agree with your statement about my posting. Yes, Mary Wilson does not have the fame that she enjoyed in the 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, in music, the continuance of fame seems to be relegated to Country music, who hold their pioneers in high esteem practically as long as they are on the earth. In Rock & Roll, R & B and Hip-Hop, musicians are easily discarded and its on to the next. I think, that's why you and I are on this forum, so that we can discuss those musicians so that they are not forgotten! Mary Wilson is bound and determined that the Supremes, Motown, and yes, herself, are not forgotten. Practically the whole of women musicians today stand on the shoulders of Diana, Mary and Flo. And, yes, I think that the Supremes are Rock & Roll icons and are deservedly in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    Excellent post again Stingbeelee! That is something Mary Wells has said about Mary Wilson and that being that "Mary will in no way, no how let you forget her.....!" She made the comment on Good Morning America in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    No marys 15 minutes of fame is not over. T supreme glamour book puts the supremes back in t spotlight and their legacy can no longer be erased. As long as mary is still here t spotlite will always shine on her as t surviving member of t original supremes and dancing recipient on dwts
    People always like to give the credit of keeping the Supremes Legacy alive to others. Even some strange people suggested that "The Sounds of The Supremes" with Kaaren Ragland are the ones. The truth is that it is and has always been Mary Wilson!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Marv can't be anymore obsessed with Mary's recent high profile than some others were with Diana's birthday stuff earlier this year. Any time the lady's name was mentioned or that damn party, a thread appeared. "Someone Farted At Diana's Birthday Party", "Beyonce Smiled At Diana's Birthday Party", "Diana Ross Arrived At Her Birthday Party". One right after the other. So what's good for the goose...
    I thought that they were obsessed with that perfume stuff Diana Ross selling on the home shopping network last year or so. I haven't heard much about it lately. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I thought that they were obsessed with that perfume stuff Diana Ross selling on the home shopping network last year or so. I haven't heard much about it lately. What happened?
    The stuff was her perfume Diamond Diane, which im sure you douse yourself in every day sold out dear and Home Shopping want her back but shes undecided. Diod you buy Marys book? She could do with a boost. 12,000 on the Amazon chart isnt the "huge" sales you predictted. Hehehehehehehehehehehehe
    • Supreme Glamour [COLOR=#555555 !important]Hardcover[/COLOR] [COLOR=#555555 !important]– Illustrated, September 17, 2019[/COLOR]

Hardcover:
      240 pages
    • Publisher: Thames & Hudson; 1 edition [[September 17, 2019)
    • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #12,831 in Books [[See Top 100 in Books)

Is it Mary or Margie?

Interesting challenge. I took it and asked four people under fifty. They all knew Diana.

I believe that perfume stuff made $2 million!!

Maybe Marv spent the family fortune to buy enough to bathe in and that accounted for a lot of sales

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Interesting challenge. I took it and asked four people under fifty. They all knew Diana.
    They must have been special. What challenge?

They must have been special. What challenge?
    What challenge ?? You must be special

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The stuff was her perfume Diamond Diane, which im sure you douse yourself in every day sold out dear and Home Shopping want her back but shes undecided. Diod you buy Marys book? She could do with a boost. 12,000 on the Amazon chart isnt the "huge" sales you predictted. Hehehehehehehehehehehehe
    • Supreme Glamour [COLOR=#555555 !important]Hardcover[/COLOR] [COLOR=#555555 !important]– Illustrated, September 17, 2019[/COLOR]

Hardcover:
      240 pages
    • Publisher: Thames & Hudson; 1 edition [[September 17, 2019)
    • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #12,831 in Books [[See Top 100 in Books)
    And sadly, Ms. Roberta, all the major publishing distributors show similar abysmal rankings. I haven't seen any actual sales data in terms of number of copies sold, nor do we know what sales goal Thames & Hudson had, but the rankings are just shocking. BN.com currently lists SG at #40,729! Her Twitter lists no signing events which is unfortunate. She does have one gig, a charity show at a college in Ohio. There appear to be about 50 tickets sold. This event is between a children's show called 'Maddie's Fridge' and an 'Intro to Floral Arrangements' program. At least we have great news about Diana's booking at Glastonbury! Best to you, my friend!

I went to my local BandN yesterday and I walked in expecting to see it displayed at least in the music or biography section. Did not see it. I had to walk around for a bit and eventually found it tucked away in the art and photography section. If I wasn't looking hard enough, I'd miss it. The book was also covered with shrink wrap so no one is able to skim through it like they do with most books. I decided not to buy it. I might ask for it for Christmas though.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I went to my local BandN yesterday and I walked in expecting to see it displayed at least in the music or biography section. Did not see it. I had to walk around for a bit and eventually found it tucked away in the art and photography section. If I wasn't looking hard enough, I'd miss it. The book was also covered with shrink wrap so no one is able to skim through it like they do with most books. I decided not to buy it. I might ask for it for Christmas though.
    Unfortunate on all counts. There has been publicity so the book should be more see-able, and an un-wrapped copy should be available as well - I think when lookers see the pictures they would be persuaded to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Well that's unfortunate.

You know he's steaming mad about Diana getting the Glastonbury gig.

I honestly have never heard of Glastonbury. Could you tell me, is it a big or important venue in the UK? What is its comparison in the US? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I honestly have never heard of Glastonbury. Could you tell me, is it a big or important venue in the UK? What is its comparison in the US? Thanks in advance.
    It's a huge outdoor festival. Over 200,000 people attend every year.

I don't even know what that is, but good for her!

Oh, that's what it is? LOL!!!

So this would be a big draw and widespread publicity? Now I get why someone said it would be like their Central Park concert.

It is indeed both big and important! Kinda like a less trendy, less annoying Coachella. Glastonbury has a Legends concert and, as we know, this year it's Diana!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    It is indeed both big and important! Kinda like a less trendy, less annoying Coachella. Glastonbury has a Legends concert and, as we know, this year it's Diana!
    Many thanks to you both. It sounds like a serious win and strong possibility of keeping the music alive.

Oh, that's what it is? LOL!!!
    Laughing to keep yourself from crying, just like you believing a famous pop star was innocent of crimes against kids. How sweet.

So this would be a big draw and widespread publicity? Now I get why someone said it would be like their Central Park concert.
    I just read its Glastonburys 50th anniversary and theyve got Diamond Diana. Double win.

Yep. That's exactly what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I just read its Glastonburys 50th anniversary and theyve got Diamond Diana. Double win.
    Roberta, that seems significant that a venue would choose her for their 50th. That's not a small thing lost on organizers.

Bitching yet again i see. So very sad.