[REMOVE ADS]

Free online books about Motown

I own quite a number of Motown books myself but noticed a few I hadn't read in OpenLibrary (a free online library where you can read or download copies). I thought I'd pass on the details in case any of you wanted to read or re-read some books you don't own. Some are out of print so could be hard to find.

Some of the Motown editions available include:

1971 David Morse - MOTOWN AND THE ARRIVAL OF BLACK MUSIC
    1985 Don Waller - THE MOTOWN STORY
    1985 Nelson George - WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
    1986 J Randy Taraborrelli - MOTOWN: HOT WAX, CITY COOL, SOLID GOLD
    1986 Mary Wilson - DREAMGIRL MY LIFE AS A SUPREME
    1989 Dr Licks - STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN
    1989 J Randy Taraborrelli - CALL HER MISS ROSS
    1990 Raynoma Gordy Singleton - BERRY, ME AND MOTOWN
    1991 Loren D Estleman - MOTOWN
    1994 Berry Gordy - TO BE LOVED
    1994 Martha Reeves - DANCING IN THE STREET
    2001 Bill Dahl - MOTOWN: THE GOLDEN YEARS
    2001 Virginia Aronson - THE HISTORY OF MOTOWN
    2004 Dennis Coffey - GUITARS, BARS AND MOTOWN SUPERSTARS
    2004 Marc Taylor - THE ORIGINAL MARVELETTES
    2009 Mark Ribowskey - THE SUPREMES

Most of these can be accessed via this search - https://openlibrary.org/search?q=mot..._fulltext=true - but you can find other works (eg Dreamgirl) by searching for the author. There are plenty of other books on other topics too, of course.

The Ribowsky book on the Supremes was one I read a few weeks back. I wasn't impressed with it as there were a number of factual errors I spotted and there seemed to be some contradictions within the text. After finishing reading it though, I noted it was a 'draft copy subject to revisions'. If this book was published, I hoped they fixed the errors.

Anyway - just passing on for any of you that might be interested.

cool, thanks.

3. Many thanks for this information! I'll check it out for sure!

I've just finished Tony Turner's books about his time with the Supremes (All That Glitters) and the Tempts (Deliver Us From Temptation) from OpenLibrary.

Some interesting and laugh out loud stuff in there, though i do feel a little dirty after reading them.