[REMOVE ADS]

Hey! What About The Commodores? They Were Motown TOO!

I was thinking that I don't believe we've ever had an indepth discussion about the Commodores, their music and their contribution to the "Motown Story". I believe they came to Motown around 1972 after the company had moved out West. They principally served as the warm-up act for the Jackson before finally getting their first big hit in 1974 with this monster here........."Machine Gun"

we had a thread [[i started) last year,i couldnt understand that they weren't mentioned.

i bought all the albums,except greatest hits.i play caught in the act lp alot,aswell as "zoom"lp [[uk title) it was just commodores over your way,had zoom! squeeze the fruit,easy to name a few.that was a great album too [[imo)
    they were great live,i saw them twice,the tour that was the same as the live album [[good for a live album) and the midnight magic tour.
    still got the tickets and midnight magic programme.anyway marv i like them,but not "still" and "sail on"!

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    we had a thread [[i started) last year,i couldnt understand that they weren't mentioned.

i bought all the albums,except greatest hits.i play caught in the act lp alot,aswell as "zoom"lp [[uk title) it was just commodores over your way,had zoom! squeeze the fruit,easy to name a few.that was a great album too [[imo)
    they were great live,i saw them twice,the tour that was the same as the live album [[good for a live album) and the midnight magic tour.
    still got the tickets and midnight magic programme.anyway marv i like them,but not "still" and "sail on"!
    Ok Tamla617, I'm beginning to remember now. I remember talking about "Sail On" being too corny [[sounded too country) and "Still" actually being considered Lionel Ritchies first solo recording , but I am getting a little ahead of myself here.

I have all of their albums too including the Live one [["Too Hot Too Trot......yeah! LOL!)
    I saw them in concert 2-3 times between 1977-79, great shows each time.

topdiva1 Guest
    ommodres where a great group - and very different from other Motown groups.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    If I'm not mistakened, the Commodores recorded for another company before Motown. I think I might have some of the tracks somewhere.

Motown_M

The Commodores recorded a few tracks for Atlantic Records before they came to Motown.

Who signed them to Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Other than Rare Earth, they were the only other Motown group that I knew where all the members played instruments. They also moved all over the stage! It was kind of like "Rare Earth meets The Contours" LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Who signed them to Motown?
    I always thought a guy named Tony Jones and Suzanne DePasse were involved in signing them
    Last edited by marv2; 03-07-2011 at 07:56 PM.

There's was CD of the material that The Commodores recorded for Atlantic Records titled "Early Gold And New Spins" from about 2000. Some of the songs were produced by Swamp Dogg.

As I recall it, here were some of the tracks...

Rise Up, Who’s Making Love, Come By Here, Sing A Simple Song, Cowboys To Girls, Love Canoe, I Know I’m Losing You, Baby This Is Forever & the best known song from that list, Keep On Dancing

As I recall it, all of these were instrumentals.

I loved the Commodores. When I first heard "Machine Gun" in 1974 I was hooked. Went out and bought the 45. Afterward, I bought every album they recorded for Motown. In the early days, they had a sound that reminded me of the Ohio Players. I liked the ballads, but I really loved the funky tunes. I was not much of a Lionel Richie fan when he went solo. Walter Orange could really sing. He and Lionel were great singing together.

I am a somewhat casual fan, only owning five of their albums and three comps. Their first album was interesting and quite good, as was "Natural High" and "Midnight Magic", and "X". But, I think some of their albums had lots of filler, and they kind of bore me after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I loved the Commodores. When I first heard "Machine Gun" in 1974 I was hooked. Went out and bought the 45. Afterward, I bought every album they recorded for Motown. In the early days, they had a sound that reminded me of the Ohio Players. I liked the ballads, but I really loved the funky tunes. I was not much of a Lionel Richie fan when he went solo. Walter Orange could really sing. He and Lionel were great singing together.

That is pretty much my take on the Commodores. One of my favorites by them was "Sweet Love" [[ the radio edit). Does anyone else remember that Dick Clark used "Machine Gun" on American Bandstand as the music prior to and after commercial breaks ? I remember they used it for quite a long while.

When did the Commodores actually split?
    Other than Lionel, what other former member recorded solo projects?

marv
    thomas Mc Clary had a self titled album on motown 6121ML in 1984
    and ZL72349 in europe also released 1984

uk and europe single from that album "thin wall" a side with love will find a way on the flip.on motown in 1984 tmg1366
    12" tmgt 1366

i'm not sure about the other original commodores members
    Last edited by tamla617; 03-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    marv
    thomas Mc Clary had a self titled album on motown 6121ML in 1984
    and ZL72349 in europe also released 1984

uk and europe single from that album "thin wall" a side with love will find a way on the flip.on motown in 1984 tmg1366
    12" tmgt 1366

i'm not sure about the other original commodores members
    Tamla617, thank you again. I am going to look for Thomas McClary's solo offering. I know that original member
    , Milan Williams passed away in 2006.

This is an interview they did during a 1976 appearance on American Bandstand:

They may not have been formally signed to Motown, but the Commodores opened for the red-hot Jackson 5 durring the summer of 1971. At the time, Richie played piano and sax. Wiliam King played trumpet. There were no extra musicians and everyone did double duty on an instrument and vocals. They reminded my of a black Three Dog Night. When I saw them again during the '78 tour they had matured into a full-fledged professional act [[they could afford a horn section too). The Commodores were always a fun act on stage. A classic '70's live act. The LP's, The Commodores, Live and Natural High are their best for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    They may not have been formally signed to Motown, but the Commodores opened for the red-hot Jackson 5 durring the summer of 1971. At the time, Richie played piano and sax. Wiliam King played trumpet. There were no extra musicians and everyone did double duty on an instrument and vocals. They reminded my of a black Three Dog Night. When I saw them again during the '78 tour they had matured into a full-fledged professional act [[they could afford a horn section too). The Commodores were always a fun act on stage. A classic '70's live act. The LP's, The Commodores, Live and Natural High are their best for my taste.
    ChiDrummer, do you remember for a short time they were referred to as "The Black Beatles"? LOL!