[REMOVE ADS]

RIP Diahann Carroll

Just announced. She was 84

This is a major loss. She was incredibly talented, beautiful and memorable. One of my favorites. Rest in peace Ms. Carroll and thank you.

Marv

So many memorable and groundbreaking performances.....

RIP to a true legend.

I loved this Lady. Loved to look at her, love to listen to her sing [[and speak), and loved that she was in the world showing us how to be.

She is a monumental, historical figure in showbusiness. She did not intend to be any of those things, she just wanted to be fulfilled in life but she carried that mantle of a trailblazer with unfailing poise and grace.

Rest in Power

I just found out about Diahann Carroll's death and I'm in shock. Thanks for the memories & RIP Diahann.

Ah shucks. RIP Diahann Caroll.

Poise and Composure personified.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Ah shucks. RIP Diahann Caroll.

Poise and Composure personified.
    well , except for this little tit for tat:

Damn,i just read about this minutes ago and i'm blown away,one of the all time beauties and talents and she will surly be missed...rest in peace my beautiful one!

So sorry to hear about this. Dianne turned up quite a bit in some movies and TV shows in the 90s and 00s. Most notably, the Five Heartbeats. RIP to a true legend.

Goodbye [[for now) Diahann. You were a major inspiration to a young boy who needed to see positive brown faces in a troubling time. By the way: Corey Baker was my TV buddy and he had the nicest mom on television. RIP.

Words can't express the magnitude of this loss. In a world that expected little from people who looked like her, she shattered glass ceilings, ripped doors off hinges, and blazed trails with the greatest of style, class, dignity, talent and grace. Well done, Miss Carroll; rest in power and elegance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Goodbye [[for now) Diahann. You were a major inspiration to a young boy who needed to see positive brown faces in a troubling time. By the way: Corey Baker was my TV buddy and he had the nicest mom on television. RIP.
    So true. Pretty much the same for me.

Rest In Peace Diahann Carroll. Pioneer, talent and beauty. Class personified.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Words can't express the magnitude of this loss. In a world that expected little from people who looked like her, she shattered glass ceilings, ripped doors off hinges, and blazed trails with the greatest of style, class, dignity, talent and grace. Well done, Miss Carroll; rest in power and elegance.
    I was going to type something, but dang, you said it way better than I could have. Every word is so true. Such an Amazingly elegant woman and beautiful inside and outside.

This beautiful ladys now in heaven with her lord and savior.

Lady was a trail-blazer. I remember 'Julia' so well. Hard for the young'uns to understand how revolutionary the show was.

Although "Julia", "Claudine" and so many of her performances were favorites to me. This show, the night she hosted "The Hollywood Palace" with Stevie Wonder, Bob Culp, Alvin Ailey Dancers and others now almost 50 years ago in 1969 really brings back some very nice memories:

Last edited by marv2; 10-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Here she was a month later in December 1969 for the Christmas special of the Hollywood Palace. Magnificent!

These two are bona fide legends!

Attachment 16312

I suppose Miss Carroll is rightfully remembered as an actress but my lasting impression of her is as a live performer.

In spring 2006, I was privileged to attend a night of her engagement at The Regency Hotel in New York City. It was a small room, crowded to capacity. The room went pitch black for several seconds and then a spotlight found her in the middle of the room -- and she was breathtakingly beautiful -- she started singing Leon Russell's "A Song For You." The audience, which included Barbara Walters that evening, was mesmerized for the whole set. She was about 70 or so and her voice was still powerful and supple. I have often lamented that I never got the chance to see Ella, Sarah, Lena or Josephine Baker. I cherish that evening with Diahann Carroll, she was the last of that coterie of elegant, trailblazing black female songbirds.

Diahann Carroll Remembered by Hollywood: She ‘Broke Ground With Every Footstep’

Carroll is also known for her work on “Dynasty,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and her Oscar-nominated performance in the romantic drama “Claudine.” She capitalized on her theater chops with projects such as her Tony-nominated performance in “No Strings,” Broadway show “Agnes of God” and “Same Time, Next Year.”

After the news of her death, celebrities took to social media to share their condolences.

Read more here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...tep/ar-AAIhXb9

Diahann Carroll Tony Award Acceptance -1962

Remembering Diahann Carroll [[1954)

and a nice memory from my childhood. People use to tell my Mom and I that I looked just like "Corey". I was the same as he in this clip:

She was one of a kind......

Attachment 16313

Sad news indeed. Hope this will lead to a CD issue of her Motown album and anything else that might have been in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Sad news indeed. Hope this will lead to a CD issue of her Motown album and anything else that might have been in the vaults.
    RIP Ms. Carroll. I played her 1974 Motown album a lot. I believe it was produced by Joe Porter. Hoping for a CD release.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out for those wondering why this is in the Motown thread. I just tried to locate for Motown songs on YouTube, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out for those wondering why this is in the Motown thread. I just tried to locate for Motown songs on YouTube, but to no avail.
    As we all know, she crossed all boundaries. Motown should be extremely proud that she was associated with it even if briefly.

This a very nice video tribute to Diahann Carroll:

Tyler Perry dedicated a soundstage to her at his new studio complex in Atlanta.

https://www.vibe.com/2019/10/tyler-p...iahann-carroll

Smokey Robinson and Berry Gordy React to Diahann Carroll's Death

If you haven't already, check out Ms. Carroll's Julia co-star Marc Copage's tender tribute to her in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/s...age-julia.html

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    If you haven't already, check out Ms. Carroll's Julia co-star Marc Copage's tender tribute to her in the New York Times:

Thank you Sansradio!

Wow, what a great story that was by Marc. Thanks again Sansradio!

Marv, thanks for linking the tributes from Smokey and Berry. It is significant how Berry speaks of meeting her in Detroit in 1962, and the impression she made on him and specifically he says: "...anything I did after that, I had her in mind."

He didn't need to confirm it but he did. Diahann Carroll was the template for the image he wanted ALL of his Motown girls to project -- refinement and glamour. Carroll was the pretty girl next door who was remade into the model of class and sophistication. Her impact on the image of black women in showbusiness can hardly be overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Marv, thanks for linking the tributes from Smokey and Berry. It is significant how Berry speaks of meeting her in Detroit in 1962, and the impression she made on him and specifically he says: "...anything I did after that, I had her in mind."

He didn't need to confirm it but he did. Diahann Carroll was the template for the image he wanted ALL of his Motown girls to project -- refinement and glamour. Carroll was the pretty girl next door who was remade into the model of class and sophistication. Her impact on the image of black women in showbusiness can hardly be overstated.
    You're welcome. I regret never having the opportunity of meeting Diahann Carroll. It just seemed like she was always there, always a part of our lives down through the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Wow, what a great story that was by Marc. Thanks again Sansradio!
    My pleasure, marv2.

Thanks for this sansradio.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/style/diahann-carroll-marc-copage-julia.html

Never knew the pain this poor young tyke was going through while at the same time seemingly having it made by being a TV star .
    Perhaps it's easy for me to say from the outside, but it seems to me Carroll might have missed giving her daughter an
    Important life's lesson , that you open your arms to someone you see is in hurt or in need and welcome them in.

Marc must have been terribly confused by what a mother is supposed to mean ; what a strange set of circumstances, playing a role specifically around your close relationship with your mother, all the while, in real life your mother has completely abandoned you.
    It's almost Shakesperean.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-10-2019 at 02:56 AM.

"I nearly fell off the stage that night, trying to escape a kiss from Diana Ross."

LOL. Miss Carroll would have relished this part of his eulogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Thanks for this sansradio.

Never knew the pain this poor young tyke was going through while at the same time seemingly having it made by being a TV star .
    Perhaps it's easy for me to say from the outside, but it seems to me Carroll might have missed giving her daughter an
    Important life's lesson , that you open your arms to someone you see is in hurt or in need and welcome them in.

Marc must have been terribly confused by what a mother is supposed to mean ; what a strange set of circumstances, playing a role specifically around your close relationship with your mother, all the while, in real life your mother has completely abandoned you.
    It's almost Shakesperean.
    In a "dream World", Diahann Carroll would have married Marc's dad and became his step mom! Only in Hollywood Movies [[read: The Brady Bunch!).

You're right Marv.
    That would've been the perfect script.
    For Diahann's daughter as well hopefully.