[REMOVE ADS]

Wonder, Wonder Why

Hands down one of the all time best Diana Ross vocal performances ever, IMO. As we talked about in another thread of Diana doing ballads as the 80s progressed and having bigger hits in that vein, I think of songs like this. While a 1978 recording, it still showcases how great this woman was with a ballad and how much passion she could put behind a lyric of fear and confusion.

How could the lady who recorded this go on to record "Pieces of Ice"? I'm just sayin.

Anyone else a fan of this one?

^
    This is a masterful vocal from Diana. She pours every ounce of emotion into it.
    Perhaps "Pieces Of Ice" would have worked better as a ballad?. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Hands down one of the all time best Diana Ross vocal performances ever, IMO. As we talked about in another thread of Diana doing ballads as the 80s progressed and having bigger hits in that vein, I think of songs like this. While a 1978 recording, it still showcases how great this woman was with a ballad and how much passion she could put behind a lyric of fear and confusion.

How could the lady who recorded this go on to record "Pieces of Ice"? I'm just sayin.

Anyone else a fan of this one?

I have just been listening to this literally half an hour ago!
    It is truly a magnificent vocal performance that could only be coaxed out of her by an experienced producer. It is sad to think that only a few short years later she would be producing herself and giving insipid vocal performances on mediocre albums such as Why do Fools and Silk Electric. Just imagine Quincy getting hold of Think i'm in love, sweet surrender, Love lies and Still in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ^
    This is a masterful vocal from Diana. She pours every ounce of emotion into it.
    Perhaps "Pieces Of Ice" would have worked better as a ballad?. lol.
    Pieces of ice would have worked better by not being released at all! It was nice enough, but rather dull and insipid. It was okay as an album cut, but no way was it ever going to become a major hit. I recall Diana herself regretting having it as the first single. Sadly we knew that at the time unlike her. Twas ever thus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have just been listening to this literally half an hour ago!
    It is truly a magnificent vocal performance that could only be coaxed out of her by an experienced producer. It is sad to think that only a few short years later she would be producing herself and giving insipid vocal performances on mediocre albums such as Why do Fools and Silk Electric. Just imagine Quincy getting hold of Think i'm in love, sweet surrender, Love lies and Still in love.
    This song was not produced by Quincy Jones. This song is from Diana Ross “Sings Songs from the Wiz” Which was produced by Diana Ross, Suzanne DePasse, and Lee Holdridge.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    This song was not produced by Quincy Jones. This song is from Diana Ross “Sings Songs from the Wiz” Which was produced by Diana Ross, Suzanne DePasse, and Lee Holdridge.
    Sorry. So it was. My memory is playing tricks on me. If Diana had a hand in production duties then why the hell could she not repeat this formula when she moved to rca. Comparing this with the garbage on Why do fools and Silk Electric is like comparing Marvin Gaye to Bobby Brown. From the sublime to the ridiculous.

This track is sublime.