[REMOVE ADS]

Sups & Tops "Reach Out And Touch"

One of my favs from the first Sup/Top duet album. Anyone think it had hit potential?

Yes! Also, one of my favorites from their first album.

Either Reach Out And Touch or Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music should have been the follow-up single to River Deep. Such missed opportunities. [[Of course The Supremes solo version of Such Sweet Music from New Ways should have been a single.)

I think this version would have worked well in The Supremes concerts in a medley with Such Sweet Music and Everybody's Got The Right To Love.

This was a great record and quickly became one of my favorites back in the early 70s. I really liked how they let each individual sing a bit of the lead on this one. It was upbeat and uplifting. Should have been a single.

Levi was one of the strongest singers that I have ever known but for the life of me I do not know why they recorded this. I think it would have worked better with just the Tops singing. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was a great record and quickly became one of my favorites back in the early 70s. I really liked how they let each individual sing a bit of the lead on this one. It was upbeat and uplifting. Should have been a single.
    Marv, we hired the Tops for an industry function just before Lawrence passed on. Each member was highly talented. After that event, I became a huge Tops fan. I has the opportunity to sit next to Obie on flight out of Vegas. He had a ton of class and was surprised he was recognized. I jokingly said you aren't and then he said "yes I am"!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv, we hired the Tops for an industry function just before Lawrence passed on. Each member was highly talented. After that event, I became a huge Tops fan. I has the opportunity to sit next to Obie on flight out of Vegas. He had a ton of class and was surprised he was recognized. I jokingly said you aren't and then he said "yes I am"!
    Obie was a cool dude. I remember one night in the late 80s, BET was having a party and broadcasting live at a club in Downtown Detroit. My cousin and I were waiting on line. Obie showed up in a limo and told us he was going to get us in and he did! I miss him. Great guy and funny as all get out! All the Tops were great guys and very down to Earth.

The Supremes and the Four Tops took "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" to a whole new level. They made it a joyful, powerful anthem. Jean can sing anything.

This is a really good version of the song and might have had some hit potential with plenty of airplay. It's passionate and joyous all at the same time.
    Having said that for me Diana still has the edge, trilling out those top notes with an edge of profound despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This is a really good version of the song and might have had some hit potential with plenty of airplay. It's passionate and joyous all at the same time.
    Having said that for me Diana still has the edge, trilling out those top notes with an edge of profound despair.
    Two great versions for sure, but Diana edges it for me too.

Much better than Diana. The tops gave it soul. Diana is too pop.

As far as my favorites go, Diana's version is tops for me. I think it's a more personal reading of the song, and of course it was IMO the highlight of her live act during the 70s and 80s. But I also think the Sup/Tops version is just as good, but different. Diana got the hit with it, but I think the duet version was in line with those feel good songs of the early 70s. I think it would've been a bigger hit than Diana's if released as a single.

Perhaps the one issue might be editing. The song is nearly five minutes long so it would have to be edited down. But what do you remove? I listened to it and was hard pressed to find the parts that could be removed while maintaining the greatness of the song. Would love for some skilled editor to give this one a go and see what they come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You probably have forgotten, that it was a single, released in the UK [[TMG 836).

I know it was edited for the single, and I still consider it to be at least as good as the version by Diana.

The Supremes + Four Tops were successful in the UK:
    * River Deep - Mountain High - reached chart position 11, in the charts for 10 weeks [[hit the charts in Ireland and also the Netherlands)
    * You gotta have love in your heart - reached 25, also 10 weeks in the charts

The Magnificient 7 reached number 6

The singles: "Without the one you love" and "Reach out and touch", LP "The Return Of The Magnificient 7" and "Dynamite" didn't chart, but that doesn't mean they were not successful.

quite interesting how the first lp charted SO differently between US and UK. of course as has been said, it was just a matter of overkill. too many supremes albums in a 12 month period.

Cream of the Crop
    Right on
    GH3
    Farewell
    new ways
    mag 7
    on broadway

plus there were still popular DRATS and Sup albums in circulation - especially GH

And while River was popular, it didn't compare to the airplay Stoned was getting. and i'm sure the two songs cannibalized the chart activities of each other