[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Brenda Holloway

Brenda Holloway

As we know, Brenda Holloway started her Motown tenure in Los Angeles with producers Hal Davis and Marc Gordon. Listening to her recordings, it sounds as if most them were not cut in Detroit with the Funk Brothers and the Andantes. Others are obviously classic Motown tracks such as “When I’m Gone” and “Just Look What You’ve Done.” Did she switch back and forth from L.A. to the Motor City to record or was there a time when she relocated?

Mowest, I think Brenda would come into Detroit to record and stay for a period before going back out West. I noticed that she made more than a few television appearances than some other early Motown artists. Probably due to the fact that she was mainly located in LA.

marv2, so few of Brenda’s recordings sound like they were done in the “snake pit.” I’d guess the tracks were by L.A.’s Wrecking Crew rather than the Funk Bros.

"When I'm Gone" was recorded in Detroit. "Every Little Bit Hurts" was recorded in LA. So who knows?