[REMOVE ADS]

What was Dazz Band's place as a "Mptown Legend"?

My apologies, typo, "Motown" on topic title.

Just simply wondering, considering to the most, including R&B radio stations in my area, they were only "Let It Whip".

Yet, according to R&B charts, "Joystick", "Swoop [[I'm Yours)", "Hot Spot". Up to 1985, they had regular released singles and albums, meaning they were one of the handful of acts the period Motown properly promotedly gave a chance, took them seriously. And why not, most of them are funky as all out!

I'd kind of presume Motown treated them as their funk group of the first half of the eighties, just as the Commodores was their funk group the latter half of the seventies.

Yet, to pop charts, and thus I'd assume the majority, only "Let It Whip", and aside from reissues from limited-print soul-funk reissue labels, the only Motown label representation on their CDs and compilations has been a Motown Legends, a 20th Century Masters, a spot on the Motown Year-By-Year: 1985, all were quite a while ago now, and "Let It Whip" on the Complete Motown Number Ones.

Just a question or observation, since the only post-Hitsville acts Motown seems to "Legend" up would be Commodores / Lionel Richie, Rick James, DeBarge, and Boyz II Men.

Mostly as a one hit wonder, but what a hit they had!

In the UK, the Dazz Band only had one major hit which was "Let It All Blow" [[#12). Apparently "Let It Whip" didn't even chart here but I'd say its still fairly well known. DeBarge only had one Top 40 UK hit with "Rhythm Of The Night" [[#4).

I agree that Motown could do more to reissue all the Dazz Band's [[bloody great) albums, perhaps in a similar way to DeBarge's 'complete Motown albums' set.