[REMOVE ADS]

The Velvelettes Rock Hitsville Honors!

September 22, 2019 in Detroit!

Thanks for providing this great video, Marv. I really enjoyed it! I STILL can't get over the way Motown held their thumb down on The Velvelettes. So many hot singles, yet not even one album. It made no sense whatsover.

BTW, Marv, I have something Velvelettes-related that I've been wanting to share with you. This will be the perfect opportunity! I'll do it later today [[Monday) when I crank it up loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks for providing this great video, Marv. I really enjoyed it! I STILL can't get over the way Motown held their thumb down on The Velvelettes. So many hot singles, yet not even one album. It made no sense whatsover.

BTW, Marv, I have something Velvelettes-related that I've been wanting to share with you. This will be the perfect opportunity! I'll do it later today [[Monday) when I crank it up loud.
    I look forward to it. Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I look forward to it. Thanks Gary
    Hey Marv, you and I once discussed radio station CKLW in Detroit/Windsor. I remember telling you that, at certain times of the year, even I was able to get reception for CKLW way up in western NY state. Scott Reagen was my favorite CKLW dj, and you could tell he loved Motown just by the way he'd introduce the upcoming record by saying, "And this is the latest from Miss Martha Motown Reeves & Those Ever-lovin' Vandellas"! I loved his shows! Anyway, I've heard you mention CKLW countless times since.

With that in mind, two years ago, I bought a fully restored 1950's RCA EY2-45 Record Changer. Having ditched my entire vinyl record collection back in 1987 when I got into CDs, I now needed some 45s to play on my new 45 record player. I went on eBay and found several dealers who still had NM Motown 45s for sale. One dealer in particular is a very nice lady in Detroit whose husband had bought out a gigantic collection of new old-stock before his unfortunate passing. You'll never guess what I found and bought from her! Take a look at the attached video!

https://youtu.be/op7lsoIPBxs

All I could think of at the time was, "I've gotta tell Marv about this!"
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.

First of all Gary, shame on you! Now repeat after me, "You're never, ever suppose to get rid of your Vinyl"! EVER! LOL! I still have my 2,500 vinyl album collection in storage. I will bring them back soon I am hoping.

That 45 and record player brings back so many good memories. I just subscribed to your channel!

First of all Gary, shame on you! Now repeat after me, "You're never, ever suppose to get rid of your Vinyl"! EVER! LOL! I still have my 2,500 vinyl album collection in storage. I will bring them back soon I am hoping.

That 45 and record player brings back so many good memories. I just subscribed to your channel!
    Well, I didn't have physical space for two collections [[records & CDs), plus I was sick of ticks and pops and surface noise, as well as records being pressed off-center. At the time, I was relieved to get rid of them all.

Thanks for subscribing to my channel, but I don't really have one. Same as Facebook. I don't bother with that stuff, either. I only have an account so that I can look up people from my past to see what they look like now. But I don't bother with all that timeline stuff. If I should burp or trim my nails, it's nobody's business! Who would care to know all of that anyway! Not I!

Glad the record and the player brought back good memories for you, Marv! They provided me with great memories, too!

Well, I didn't have physical space for two collections [[records & CDs), plus I was sick of ticks and pops and surface noise, as well as records being pressed off-center. At the time, I was relieved to get rid of them all.

Thanks for subscribing to my channel, but I don't really have one. Same as Facebook. I don't bother with that stuff, either. I only have an account so that I can look up people from my past to see what they look like now. But I don't bother with all that timeline stuff. If I should burp or trim my nails, it's nobody's business! Who would care to know all of that anyway! Not I!

Glad the record and the player brought back good memories for you, Marv! They provided me with great memories, too!
    I understand. The shelving can take up some space which is why I put mine in storage when I moved.

I understand. The shelving can take up some space which is why I put mine in storage when I moved.
    You don't have your records at home with you? Oh, man, I wouldn't like that! I would feel half-naked without my music. Even if I don't play it on any given day, it's gotta be here with me.

Gary, I just noticed CKLW was stamped on that label! I watched the video for a second time. I'm telling you CKLW was BOSS radio! The most powerful ,baddest station in North America! Years ago, there was a clip on Youtube that showed where someone all the way over in Scotland recorded a broadcast one night! For us, we just listened to it as a local station that played everything and everyone!

Gary, I just noticed CKLW was stamped on that label! I watched the video for a second time. I'm telling you CKLW was BOSS radio! The most powerful ,baddest station in North America! Years ago, there was a clip on Youtube that showed where someone all the way over in Scotland recorded a broadcast one night! For us, we just listened to it as a local station that played everything and everyone!
    Ha! I thought it was funny [[odd) that you didn't pick up on that CKLW stamp! That was the whole idea behind my wanting to share it with you! What annoys me [[just a little) is that my copy of The Velvelettes with the CKLW stamp was actually an unplayed Mint copy [[sold as NM). I'm wondering, does this mean that CKLW never gave "Needle In A Haystack" any airplay? Or might my copy have been CKLW's back-up copy to replace their original worn-out copy? I hope it wasn't the former. This was a hot and hip record that deserved airplay -- at LEAST in its hometown of Detroit.

Ha! I thought it was funny [[odd) that you didn't pick up on that CKLW stamp! That was the whole idea behind my wanting to share it with you! What annoys me [[just a little) is that my copy of The Velvelettes with the CKLW stamp was actually an unplayed Mint copy [[sold as NM). I'm wondering, does this mean that CKLW never gave "Needle In A Haystack" any airplay? Or might my copy have been CKLW's back-up copy to replace their original worn-out copy? I hope it wasn't the former. This was a hot and hip record that deserved airplay -- at LEAST in its hometown of Detroit.
    Oh I am sure they played it. For the most part, CKLW's record library is still intact and lives on today here:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am-580

They broadcast from the Old CKLW location in Windsor. Listening to CKWW today is almost like listening to it when I was growing up minus the great Jocks they use to have.

Oh they played the Velvelettes and most artists that came out of Detroit. Beginning in 1971 and Can-Con [[don't even get me started or ask about it LOL), they were required by law to play a certain percentage of Canadian artists and music produced in Canada. That limited some of the American artists being played and also spelled the ultimate demise of the great CKLW!

Oh I am sure they played it. For the most part, CKLW's record library is still intact and lives on today here:

https://www.iheartradio.ca/am-580

They broadcast from the Old CKLW location in Windsor. Listening to CKWW today is almost like listening to it when I was growing up minus the great Jocks they use to have.
    Marv, I just discovered this post. I tuned in and the first song I heard was Alicia Bridges "I Love The Nightlife" -- right up my alley! And you're right -- I checked out their written list of other tracks they've been playing tonight and it's just like the old days -- minus the dj's. There wasn't a bad song on there! Just to be sure, is tuning in to CKWW free? [[A friend of mine started tuning in to a radio station he had downloaded an app for, thinking it was free. It wasn't! He ended up having to pay for it.)

Oh they played the Velvelettes and most artists that came out of Detroit. Beginning in 1971 and Can-Con [[don't even get me started or ask about it LOL), they were required by law to play a certain percentage of Canadian artists and music produced in Canada. That limited some of the American artists being played and also spelled the ultimate demise of the great CKLW!
    Oh, man, that's a shame. Who wants to hear another country's records on your favorite radio station? CKLW was perfect as it was. Once it went under, I'll bet heads rolled over that one.

Marv, I just discovered this post. I tuned in and the first song I heard was Alicia Bridges "I Love The Nightlife" -- right up my alley! And you're right -- I checked out their written list of other tracks they've been playing tonight and it's just like the old days -- minus the dj's. There wasn't a bad song on there! Just to be sure, is tuning in to CKWW free? [[A friend of mine started tuning in to a radio station he had downloaded an app for, thinking it was free. It wasn't! He ended up having to pay for it.)
    Yes! Tuning is is completely free. I listen to it overnight like I did with CKLW in high school. It's great and also a bit like the "Twilight Zone". I'm not 15 anymore, but that station brings back those memories very clearly for me.

Oh, man, that's a shame. Who wants to hear another country's records on your favorite radio station? CKLW was perfect as it was. Once it went under, I'll bet heads rolled over that one.
    I have to admit there were some good to excellent songs that came out of Canada in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. I did not realize that people in the rest of America never heard them until I went away to school. You'd hear hefty dosages of the Guess Who, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Paul Anka and a host of one hit wonders out of Canada. I never hear those songs anywhere else on oldies or satellite radio. Only on CKWW like we did on CKLW.

Did you listen to CHUM out of Toronto?

Here's a little of the back story behind Can-Con:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Canadian+Music

I love it!!!!!! So great!! Love what they did with "Needle In A Haystack". Cracking band as well. I want to see them live!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love it!!!!!! So great!! Love what they did with "Needle In A Haystack". Cracking band as well. I want to see them live!
    Wop bop sooky - wow what a performance those gals can still hit the sweet spot - wonderful

My best friend did their make up for that night and she said that they were really a joy to work with.

Fantastic thread guys! CKLW was def Detroit. I can still hear the announcement CKLW The Motor City.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Fantastic thread guys! CKLW was def Detroit. I can still hear the announcement CKLW The Motor City.
    Yep, remember the news broadcasts? They would make murders sound like a joke! LOL! I miss Byron McGregor.

Yep, remember the news broadcasts? They would make murders sound like a joke! LOL! I miss Byron McGregor.
    So glad I had the Detroit experience. The Detroit media was the best in the country. I remember one of the radio stations would give away a large poster with the placement of maybe the top 100 songs. It was huge. One of the drugstores used to give them away before radio became huge conglomerates.