[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson in "Grandma Sylvia's Funeral"

Mary has starred in a number of stage plays over the years. In 1996 she joined the cast of "Grandma Sylvia's Funeral". I remember at the time everyone collectively said "What?" LOL!

http://www.playbill.com/article/form...lvia-com-68235

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary has starred in a number of stage plays over the years. In 1996 she joined the cast of "Grandma Sylvia's Funeral". I remember at the time everyone collectively said "What?" LOL!

You know Marv, a look at her career reveals diversified work experiences.

I remember seeing this play, although the thing I remember most about the night was Mary talking to us outside the theatre after the play. She was quite friendly, and surprisingly, the conversation was quite long. She did not talk in the hyper way that she talks in most interviews. I don't even remember what we were talking about, but I do remember that she was friendly. Evidently, the conversation was starting to go on a little too long because she said that she was going to Motown Cafe and asked us to meet her there.

Marv, did you also see Grandma Sylvia's Funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    You know Marv, a look at her career reveals diversified work experiences.
    Oh she's done a little of everything which is why I and some others call her the "hardest working woman in show biz". Some things she's done have been forgotten. While she was in NYC attending NYU, Manhattan was like "Marys Town" LOL! She was the voice you heard upon entering hundreds of taxis encouraging folks to buckle up. Her image towered above Times Square along with others advertising Soy Lady products. In the 90s there was that Colgate toothpaste commercial I wished I cold find now. She appeared in the musical theater production "Ardella's Soul Shack", "Leader of the Pack" and "Supreme Soul" in Sweden. So much more to list right now.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I remember seeing this play, although the thing I remember most about the night was Mary talking to us outside the theatre after the play. She was quite friendly, and surprisingly, the conversation was quite long. She did not talk in the hyper way that she talks in most interviews. I don't even remember what we were talking about, but I do remember that she was friendly. Evidently, the conversation was starting to go on a little too long because she said that she was going to Motown Cafe and asked us to meet her there.

I don't think so.

Oh she's done a little of everything which is why I and some others call her the "hardest working woman in show biz". Some things she's done have been forgotten. While she was in NYC attending NYU, Manhattan was like "Marys Town" LOL! She was the voice you heard upon entering hundreds of taxis encouraging folks to buckle up. Her image towered above Times Square along with others advertising Soy Lady products. In the 90s there was that Colgate toothpaste commercial I wished I cold find now. She appeared in the musical theater production "Ardella's Soul Shack", "Leader of the Pack" and "Supreme Soul" in Sweden. So much more to list right now.
    Yes Marys the most accomplished woman is show business ever with scores of top selling solo albums and sold out concerts at Radio City and regular residences headline on the VGAs Strip along with aclaimed TV performances like 227 and movie roles that Meryl Streep and Viola Davis can only dream of getting. Wasnt Meryl lobbying real hard for Marys role in Golden Shoe? Yes nobody is more accomplished that Mary Wilson but as you say Marv theres just just too much to list right now.

Have a blessed Saturday.

If she had not been eliminated from DWTS in week one, surely her name would have entered that rarified constellation - Ella, Billie, Diana, Barbra, Madonna, Beyoncé, Mary.......

Gosh that warrants many hehehes and lols

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If she had not been eliminated from DWTS in week one, surely her name would have entered that rarified constellation - Ella, Billie, Diana, Barbra, Madonna, Beyoncé, Mary.......

I swaer he and his 2 loony handmaidens would say the gas Mary passes has a fragrant smell and should be bottled and sold as Diamond Mary and would be the best perfume on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    lolololololololol

I would say that most of the things she has done have been forgotten.

You remember at the time everyone collectively said "What?"!!!! You do make me laugh with your bullsh*t! I think i can safely say that hardly anyone knew she even did this. Hardly anyone would have cared what she did.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Perhaps her dancing talent, like all her others, was too brilliant to be recognized by mere mortals ...

I remember seeing this play, although the thing I remember most about the night was Mary talking to us outside the theatre after the play. …..
    I don't think so.
    You don’t think so ?? You started this thread about the play. Isn’t this something that a number one fan of Mary would remember attending or not attending?

You don’t think so ?? You started this thread about the play. Isn’t this something that a number one fan of Mary would remember attending or not attending?
    What's this, a cross examination in some kind of court case?

A fan as reportedly big as the OP would find a way to go lol

Getting past all the crap posts and the people who need to get their digs in, I saw this with Mary.

The show was interactive and Mary went into it after it had been running for a while. The premise of the show was that Grandma Sylvia had died and we were all there for the wake. The show started outside as we waited for Grandma Sylvia to show up. This meant that the actors also had to mingle with the audience as we all waited. Mary looked great! I went with a friend who was also a Supremes / Mary fan. We watched as Mary tried to start conversations with several people, but we wanted to talk to her so we kind of butted in. We asked who she was and how she was related to Grandma Sylvia. She said by marriage and proceeded to chat with us about her days with her husband and meeting Grandma Sylvia. She said she was a makeup artists from Chicago. We mentioned that Oprah was always doing makeover shows so maybe she could work on an episode of Oprah! The entire time, Mary stayed in character. When we came to a lull in the conversation, we realized that a crowd of people had been formed around us - everyone was listening! Suddenly, a cab sped down the street and screeched to a stop. It was grandma Sylvia! Her coffin was hanging out of the trunk of the taxi. Her hearse had broken down. Well the entire "family" jumped into action and we all filed into the theatre for the rest of the show. At the end, the "family" formed a receiving line and thanked each person for coming. When Mary took my hand she said, "I can't thank you enough for being here tonight! You made it much easier." She was very funny in the show, and the role was catered to her so it all worked beautifully within the show. It was a lot of fun, and I know many people who went to see it a second, or third, time just to see Mary.

I'll keep the story of meeting her at the Broadway Bowling Show League night for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Getting past all the crap posts and the people who need to get their digs in, I saw this with Mary.

The show was interactive and Mary went into it after it had been running for a while. The premise of the show was that Grandma Sylvia had died and we were all there for the wake. The show started outside as we waited for Grandma Sylvia to show up. This meant that the actors also had to mingle with the audience as we all waited. Mary looked great! I went with a friend who was also a Supremes / Mary fan. We watched as Mary tried to start conversations with several people, but we wanted to talk to her so we kind of butted in. We asked who she was and how she was related to Grandma Sylvia. She said by marriage and proceeded to chat with us about her days with her husband and meeting Grandma Sylvia. She said she was a makeup artists from Chicago. We mentioned that Oprah was always doing makeover shows so maybe she could work on an episode of Oprah! The entire time, Mary stayed in character. When we came to a lull in the conversation, we realized that a crowd of people had been formed around us - everyone was listening! Suddenly, a cab sped down the street and screeched to a stop. It was grandma Sylvia! Her coffin was hanging out of the trunk of the taxi. Her hearse had broken down. Well the entire "family" jumped into action and we all filed into the theatre for the rest of the show. At the end, the "family" formed a receiving line and thanked each person for coming. When Mary took my hand she said, "I can't thank you enough for being here tonight! You made it much easier." She was very funny in the show, and the role was catered to her so it all worked beautifully within the show. It was a lot of fun, and I know many people who went to see it a second, or third, time just to see Mary.

I'll keep the story of meeting her at the Broadway Bowling Show League night for another time.
    What a great story Thommg! Thank you!

Thommg,
    Thanks for the positive post and sharing your experience. Mary was great in Beehive too. The ignore option makes it easy to get past the crap posts you mention.

Thanks for that great description. What an interesting way to begin a play.

Hmm, interesting plot...

midnightman, this came after Tony & Tina's Wedding, which was an interactive show which started at the church for the wedding, then you walked to a nearby restaurant for the reception. The show itself is based on an outline for each character, and the same situations appeared in every show, but the script was ad-libed by the performers based on rough sketches of dialogue. It ran for quite a few years in NYC and Vegas, and LA, among other cities. Chicago recently had a revival of it that ran for a couple of years.