[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Sings ......."NATHAN JONES"!

Last night in England. The band was cooking!

It's great to see how much fun everybody is having on that stage. The band is g00d, indeed.

Why is Mary not doing a small tour of Europe? She's MORE than welcome in Holland! We were the first country on the European mainland the Supremes did a small tv gig in October 1964 [[the infamous semi live performance in the Amsterdam theatre Carre, you find them on the dvd Reflections as a bonus).

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    It's great to see how much fun everybody is having on that stage. The band is g00d, indeed.

Why is Mary not doing a small tour of Europe? She's MORE than welcome in Holland! We were the first country on the European mainland the Supremes did a small tv gig in October 1964 [[the infamous semi live performance in the Amsterdam theatre Carre, you find them on the dvd Reflections as a bonus).
    Robbert, I remember that! I have a videotape of the performance they did at the Carre. Had it for many years.

That band in this clip almost sounds like the original studio recording. They are excellent.

I wish Mary had done that the last time I saw her! Well, maybe not the last since that was the Up Close performance at Feinsteins in NY. But the time before, at BB King's, she would have ripped the place apart with Nathan Jones. I would love to see her take a look at some of the other Supremes material from the 1970's. There was so much great music.

topdiva1 Guest
    Truthfully - I feel this is more of a group effort - that makes this song happen - wuth Mary Wilson being truely dynamoc OUT FRONT - the band is in good form

Nathan Jones is just the type of uptempo song that Mary Wilson can excel at. Perhaps - Motown should have trusted her with the lead all those years ago.

Bravo Mary.

smark21 Guest
    Based on this and the Last Dance clip and a couple of others that have been posted on youtube, it seems Mary's style of singing on this UK tour has changed a bit--she seems much more laid back and it really works for her.

Floy Joy was also excellent with Lucy Shropshire singing Jean's part. Parnell is also a great singer and the interaction between him and Mary is wonderful to see. Mary must really like Parnell cos hasn't he been her male vocalist for a long, long time?

I agree with all,i'm hoping Mary keeps Nathan Jones in her show,and other Supremes songs,from the 70s.
    Please stay positive

I cannot get enough of this clip! Is this her reg band? I think I have seen the sax player before.

Nathan Jones and Floy Joy are two of my least favorite Supreme songs. She should add "touch" instead, but I'm glad that she is mixing it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I cannot get enough of this clip! Is this her reg band? I think I have seen the sax player before.
    The sax player is Snake Davis, Martin Frost is on drums, Martin Cohen on bass guitar, Lewis Osbourne on guitar and keyboards are John Maul and Mark Zier.
    So sayeth my concert programme.

Thanks Drew!!! Much appreciated....

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P. Nads View Post
    The sax player is Snake Davis, Martin Frost is on drums, Martin Cohen on bass guitar, Lewis Osbourne on guitar and keyboards are John Maul and Mark Zier.
    So sayeth my concert programme.
    Mark Zier is Mary's regular keyboard player. The other guys I am not familiar with, but they are EXCELLENT! I don't know where she found them, but they are superb on this number.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mark Zier is Mary's regular keyboard player. The other guys I am not familiar with, but they are EXCELLENT! I don't know where she found them, but they are superb on this number.
    In the progamme it says: For Mary Wilson...Mark, Lucy and Parnell. Then lists the members For the Chi-Lites.
    The guys mentioned in my previous post come under the heading 'The Band'. Whether they have been hired by Mary just for this tour I don't know.

Thanks Drew!!! Much appreciated....
    No problem. Glad to help!

Thanks for this clip! Mary is great!. Robbert, how can we get Mary to come to the Netherlands? Paradiso would be great for her. Or, with the right promotion a bigger venue. Who to write, who to call? She is sooo close...

Yeah. I have played this bad girl over and over.

Does Mary ever do "Can't take my eyes off of you"?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    No! She does not do that.

Is there a clip of "Floy"? Its weird because I don't care for the song, but I like to hear Mary sing it.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    To be honest regardless of who sings it, that is one very boring song.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Thanks for this clip! Mary is great!. Robbert, how can we get Mary to come to the Netherlands? Paradiso would be great for her. Or, with the right promotion a bigger venue. Who to write, who to call? She is sooo close...
    Is Paradiso in Amsterdam??? If this is the Paradiso you are speaking about Mary Wilson played it back in the 80's. And she turned it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    To be honest regardless of who sings it, that is one very boring song.
    I like the song, but there's not much too it in terms of words. I think it works best in medley format such as when the Pet Shop Boys mixed the chorus in with their cover of U2's Where the Streets Have No Name or when The Killers perfomed the verse as an intro to their cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay" on their 2007 tour.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I like the song, but there's not much too it in terms of words. I think it works best in medley format such as when the Pet Shop Boys mixed the chorus in with their cover of U2's Where the Streets Have No Name or when The Killers perfomed the verse as an intro to their cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay" on their 2007 tour.
    I've heard the Pet shop Boys mix but have yet to hear the killers version. I'll try and find it on youtube.

Go mary go...that's my girl.

Topdiva, Paradiso is an old church, turned in to music hall. It has a great atmosphere and I saw the full Funk Brothers there [[with Alan Slutsky, the world tour after the movie), Jack Ashford returned with Joe Hunter [[his last performance) and Smokey Robinson there.

Would love to see Mary there...and off course, all the fans are welcome too!

Topdiva, Paradiso is an old church, turned in to music hall. It has a great atmosphere and I saw the full Funk Brothers there [[with Alan Slutsky, the world tour after the movie), Jack Ashford returned with Joe Hunter [[his last performance) and Smokey Robinson there.

How bad do want to see her there? hehehehehe........

topdiva1 Guest

Yes - Mary Wilson did perform at The Paradiso back in the 80's. And the word was - "...never at Paradiso" had such a grand performance been done. Apparently it was packed and the fans just stomped their feet along with thunderous cheers for Mary Wilson of The Supremes, as she was billed then.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Yes - Mary Wilson did perform at The Paradiso back in the 80's. And the word was - "...never at Paradiso" had such a grand performance been done. Apparently it was packed and the fans just stomped their feet along with thunderous cheers for Mary Wilson of The Supremes, as she was billed then.

Thanks for the info.

Amazing that a 20 something "college student" would know these things.

When I saw the Funk Brothers there during their world tour, they did two encores. Later I had a talk with Alan Slutsky and he told me there where never two encores but Paradiso was on fire!

It is a special place....How bad I want to see Mary there?

After seeing this clip this thread has started with...very bad...And I will make sure she will get a wonderful reception in the Netherlands.

When I saw the Funk Brothers there during their world tour, they did two encores. Later I had a talk with Alan Slutsky and he told me there where never two encores but Paradiso was on fire!

It is a special place....How bad I want to see Mary there?

After seeing this clip this thread has started with...very bad...And I will make sure she will get a wonderful reception in the Netherlands.
    Ok then. Let's see what can happen

If any help is needed you can always contact me privately....