[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    thatanyway Guest

An "I like another rendition better" thread

There are some cuts that we have heard so much of songs and then there are other versions/interpretations of those same songs, done by other performers perhaps, or by the same act as the one we heard a lot - but in another arrangement, tempo, possibly with new performers within the act adding something to the song that wasn't there before...etc...

I'd like to try this... What are some other but less played renditions of well known songs that you like better?

So... I'll start [[and leave for the wings to see what you guys perhaps might make of this topic ). I like this one better than Joe Cocker's so frequently played recording.

Last edited by thatanyway; 09-26-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Lol! I'm such a newbie here... I edited to remove a tag, which I thought was a tag for a post and not a tag for a thread.

Since you mentioned Etta James, you haven't LIVED until you have heard her version of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody." Can someone be kind enough to link that on here since I don't know how?

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Since you mentioned Etta James, you haven't LIVED until you have heard her version of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody." Can someone be kind enough to link that on here since I don't know how?

....................................Might this be what you are thinking of?

Etta's is cool, but for my money, this is the joint:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Etta's is cool, but for my money, this is the joint:

Totally agree sansradio. Patti is the best, but you already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree sansradio. Patti is the best, but you already know that.
    No question, my friend!

So with the criteria being "less played" that I prefer over more well known versions, one of the first to come to mind is "He's Gone", Dee Dee Bridgewater's take on "She's Gone", originally and more famous in some circles by Hall and Oates, and a big hit for Tavares. I'm a huge fan of both H&O and Tavares, but there's something about Dee Dee's version that attacks my soul.

Speaking of Dee Dees, Dee Dee Sharp has my favorite version of "I'm Not In Love", originally done by 10cc. The version I grew up with is by Will To Power, and I loved it. But when a relative gave me a 45 of Dee Dee's version about 15 years ago, that was it.

I'm a huge Stevie Wonder fan. I'm also a huge Jodeci fan. So when Jodeci decided to cover Stevie, would their version win out for me? The answer was an easy yes. Stevie's "Lately" is good but it's never been one of my Stevie go-to cuts. If it's on, fine. If it gets skipped, too bad. But I was crazy about Jodeci's version back in the day- both live and studio- and it's still alright with me over Stevie's.

I love when artists take showtunes in a different direction than traditional arrangements. Here is my fav version of "Where Or When" by Norman Feels [[from the equally awesome Where Or When album).

Another standard beautifully done is "I Wish You Love" by Joe Bataan. My favorite of the versions I've heard.

After hearing this song so many ways over the years from Motown to Grace Jones to Blondie to Tracey Thorn this version -- Bette Midler -- stopped me in my tracks. Great arrangement, the song was meant to be a ballad.

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Speaking of Dee Dees, Dee Dee Sharp has my favorite version of "I'm Not In Love", originally done by 10cc. The version I grew up with is by Will To Power, and I loved it. But when a relative gave me a 45 of Dee Dee's version about 15 years ago, that was it.

OMG that's gorgeous! Personally, I will listen to all the posts here on a late night ...and we have to say late nights plural if they keep coming!

Joan Osborne's What's Become of the Broken Hearted, backed by the Funk Brothers, is in my list of 10 best songs

edafan

No one mentioned this cover yet?

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

The very King of covers. Here ''we'' could just make a list, but perhaps that would fall on his recordings being more popular and more played than the originals in many cases

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    After hearing this song so many ways over the years from Motown to Grace Jones to Blondie to Tracey Thorn this version -- Bette Midler -- stopped me in my tracks. Great arrangement, the song was meant to be a ballad.

For me this song gets no better than the Marvelettes version, but second to that is Blondie's version. I really like it. This Bette Midler version is arranged very well, but I'm not a fan of hers and can't get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Not for me because there's only one version of this song that I can listen to and that's the Supremes and Temptations version. And even that version took years-double digit years- to grow on me. I've just never cared for the song no matter who is singing it.

Quote Originally Posted by thatanyway View Post
    The very King of covers. Here ''we'' could just make a list, but perhaps that would fall on his recordings being more popular and more played than the originals in many cases
    That's what I was thinking. I had thought about posting "Superstar" but I'm pretty sure Luther's version is more popular and played more often than the Carpenters, even though they had the bigger hit with it.

Not for me because there's only one version of this song that I can listen to and that's the Supremes and Temptations version. And even that version took years-double digit years- to grow on me. I've just never cared for the song no matter who is singing it.
    You are a tough audience...

You don't like Bette? OK, that's plausible. But failing to appreciate the majesty in Luther's performance of "House"? Well...you are now on the List [[lol).

Dee Dee Sharp's "I'm Not In Love" is enjoyable -- the vocal is histrionically overwought but that works for me sometimes.

I'm the total opposite. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by thatanyway View Post
    Haha true. I thought his version of If This World Were Mine was his until I read the writing credits and saw Marvin's name and I was blown away and then to hear the original, which is great in it's own way and how Luther flipped it! OMG... I can go on and on lol

First of all, thanks to "thatanyway" for linking the Etta song at my request. And welcome aboard by the way. As you can see, you already have more skills on here than I do!!!

This is a thread that I could see going on and on and on, which is of course a good thing, if it introduces us to different versions of songs that we have never heard before and perhaps converts some of us over to other versions.

For example, having listened to Patti's version of Gotta Serve Somebody, I would still take Etta's any day, but it is mainly because of that funky intro. The band carries that song more than she does. As for Patti, my jam where she is concerned has always been "
    Every Home Should Have One."

As for some of the others brought up so far today, i would have to agree that the Marvelettes cannot be beat with Hunter. While on the subject of those lovely ladies, I will also mention that A) The Carpenters might have the slightly better version of Postman, but only because the Marvs were sooooooo young at the time and had not yet found their eventual groove; and B) Mitch Ryder gave them a run for their money on Too Many Fish in the Sea but our girls still come out on top. Why that wasn't a bigger hit I will never know. Gwen Guthrie's version was pretty good too.

Other covers that come randomly to mind: Phyllis Hyman's version of "Kiss You All Over" beats the original in my opinion [[can't even remember the group that did it first), and I like either Martha or Rita Coolidge's version of "Higher and Higher" better than Jackie's, although I imagine I will catch some heat for that one!

Anyway fun thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    You are a tough audience...

You don't like Bette? OK, that's plausible. But failing to appreciate the majesty in Luther's performance of "House"? Well...you are now on the List [[lol).

Dee Dee Sharp's "I'm Not In Love" is enjoyable -- the vocal is histrionically overwought but that works for me sometimes.
    Lol Oh I don't believe I'm a tough audience. I just think we music lovers are very affected by what we hear. Some songs and artists resonate with us, while others do nothing for us. Sometimes we can explain why, other times it's just something that is. Hope that makes sense. Of course as a fellow music lover you probably get it.

I agree David. I hope this thread goes far because I'm looking forward to discovering unheard renditions of songs I have been unaware of.

Now with "A House Is Not A Home" being a song I pretty much don't care for no matter the artist [[except the one exception), on the flip of that opinion is a song that I love no matter who is singing it...except the original artist. That song is "Walk On By". My fav version is Isaac Hayes', but I also really love versions by Flo Ballard, Aretha Franklin, Sybil, the J5, among others. But I do not care for Dionne's version at all. Go figure. Anyway, here's my fav version:

Another song that I love no matter what is "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face", originally done by Baby Washington. But I prefer Aretha's tied with Dee Dee Warwick's renditions of the song more than Baby's. [[Aretha's was actually the first version I heard.) I have heard quite a few renditions of the song and none of them disappoint me.

Here's Dee Dee Warwick's:

I like either Martha or Rita Coolidge's version of "Higher and Higher" better than Jackie's, although I imagine I will catch some heat for that one!

Anyway fun thread!
    As much as I love Jackie's version, I think I might love Martha's just as much. If not, Jackie edges her out just a wee bit.

thatanyway Guest
    First of all, thanks to "thatanyway" for linking the Etta song at my request. And welcome aboard by the way. As you can see, you already have more skills on here than I do!!!

This is a thread that I could see going on and on and on, which is of course a good thing, if it introduces us to different versions of songs that we have never heard before and perhaps converts some of us over to other versions.

For example, having listened to Patti's version of Gotta Serve Somebody, I would still take Etta's any day, but it is mainly because of that funky intro. The band carries that song more than she does. As for Patti, my jam where she is concerned has always been "
    Every Home Should Have One."

As for some of the others brought up so far today, i would have to agree that the Marvelettes cannot be beat with Hunter. While on the subject of those lovely ladies, I will also mention that A) The Carpenters might have the slightly better version of Postman, but only because the Marvs were sooooooo young at the time and had not yet found their eventual groove; and B) Mitch Ryder gave them a run for their money on Too Many Fish in the Sea but our girls still come out on top. Why that wasn't a bigger hit I will never know. Gwen Guthrie's version was pretty good too.

Other covers that come randomly to mind: Phyllis Hyman's version of "Kiss You All Over" beats the original in my opinion [[can't even remember the group that did it first), and I like either Martha or Rita Coolidge's version of "Higher and Higher" better than Jackie's, although I imagine I will catch some heat for that one!

Anyway fun thread!

Thank you kind Sir! My master plan was to just start this and watch it from the wings...and I sometimes manage to stick to my plans, and hope that I will in this case. As esteemed senior members of this platform address me directly I find it impolite not to reply...
    I will learn a lot here. Another version of a song can sometimes be about finding new aspects to a piece of music methinks. With a good song ''you'' wind up with more and more respect for the composer when the material proves to a vehicle for very different interpretations. Of course a melody can find a home in almost any setting. But there's a little something extra to a song that really, truly is magical in very different interpretations. Sometimes it's even as if some music is so great that it can't even be ''destroyed'' by a bad performance. It's as if it has legs to stand on of its own even if someone makes as mess of a lot.
    I see clearly that I will learn a lot here I repeat, just reading and listening. And this bit is possibly a response to posts that haven't been made yet: Thank you so much for contributing - I'm reading and listening.

Billy Preston’s version of You Are So Beautiful [[I know he wrote it) is the only version of the song I can stand

I really don’t like Joe Cocker’s hit version

I really like this version of Stevie's "Girl Blue" by the Main Ingredient

As much as the first version of this number I've heard was of course Marvin Gaye's, upon hearing about, listening, and later purchasing the twofer "All In Love Is Fair" / "Come Get To This" just to keep listening to it, something about the sensual-ness of an experienced, jazzed-up, sensual mature female such as Nancy Wilson.

Last edited by Ngroove; 09-29-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    speaking of dee dees, dee dee sharp has my favorite version of "i'm not in love", originally done by 10cc. The version i grew up with is by will to power, and i loved it. But when a relative gave me a 45 of dee dee's version about 15 years ago, that was it.

yep,i absolutly love her version.

So with the criteria being "less played" that I prefer over more well known versions, one of the first to come to mind is "He's Gone", Dee Dee Bridgewater's take on "She's Gone", originally and more famous in some circles by Hall and Oates, and a big hit for Tavares. I'm a huge fan of both H&O and Tavares, but there's something about Dee Dee's version that attacks my soul.

See, RanRan...why you wanna trigger me, though?!? [[One of my local CD vendors had a copy of this for 8 bucks; I thought, "Oh, I'll cop it next week." You know how this ends.)

Bruce Channel's "Hey Baby" was the big hit:

Here's The Ban-Lons' version from 3 years later:

Here's Vera Lynn's 1942 original hit version of "The White Cliffs of Dover" [[I'm showing my age):

And here's The Checkers' 1952 version, sped up to a mid-tempo:

Here's Chad & Jeremy's British Invasion hit, "Willow Weep For Me" from 1964:

Here's Detroit's own Barons [[led by Lee Rogers [[AKA Roger Craton) singing that same song in a more Soulful style:

Speaking of The Checkers, here's Judy Garland singing the original hit version of "Over The Rainbow":

Here are The Checkers singing it in 1952:

Here's Pete Seeger's original recording of "Where Have All The Flowers Gone":

Here's Freddie Scott's version:

Here's Bob Dylan's original "Blowin' In The Wind"

Here's Stevie Wonder and Clarence Paul's version:

Here's Frankie Laine's Pop version of Miserlou:

Here's The Cardinals' version of "Miserlou":

Here's Sammy Ambrose's original version:

Here's The Everly Brothers singing their hit version of "Cathy's Clown":