[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    OMG. She could have at least let Gladys sing a couple of more lines before calling out others! Go Gladys keep rising above! [[Haven’t Mary and Gladys become good friends?)
    Gladys, Mary and Bubba have been friends since the sixties. Bubba Knight was at DWTS to cheer Mary on the first night. William Guest of the Pips even dated Florence Ballard at one point.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-27-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gladys, Mary and Bubba have been friends since the sixties. William Guest of the Pips even dated Florence Ballard at one point.
    You are so lucky knowing all the girls little secrets. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    That video showing Gladys impression of Diana and the Supremes is cheap and humorless and the audience barely laughed. Gladys place all down to earth and nice but shes shady and fake IMO.
    Agreed, Gladys can be very shady. Gladys you don't have to play in the mud, come out and get cleaned up.

I gave up on listening to wrong information once I heard the story of the discovery of the Primettes. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that there were four original Primettes.

Also, when a person starts off by saying don't ask me how I know but I know, that is when the block button works nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Agreed, Gladys can be very shady. Gladys you don't have to play in the mud, come out and get cleaned up.
    Gladys has always been one of my favorite singers.
    When I was a teenager her and the Pips were my idols. But my opinion of her has changed. I just don’t like her views anymore and too me she has an unhealthy jealousy of Diana Ross. IMO. However she is one of the best singers ever. I just wish she could stop taking jabs at Diana Ross for shit that happened 100 years ago. Diana Ross has always spoken highly of Gladys.

A lot of former Motowners harbour jealousies of Stevie Berry Smokey and especially Diana because those 4 ended up with most of the glory and the money.

A lot of the rest of them overspent when money was coming in and now royalties are a fraction of what they were and bookings are sparse for old people and less lucrative.

Hence they bitch just like 3 people on here bitch.

The answer was out there 50 years ago and the boat got missed.

And there are lots of people that played smaller roles that don’t bitch at all - people like Louvain Demps, the Velvelettes, Mickey Stevenson and many others; also Florence Ballard’s daughters

Wow. I never heard of folks being jealous of Stevie! But it does make sense.

As for Gladys, she showed jealousy at Aretha going on about how she gave Gladys the cold shoulder at an airport in 1969. She always brings up the incident like it recently happened. Gladys was always intimidated by the musical queens from Detroit.

Technically she was a step above them with her 1950s child star success at the Ted Mack show but Aretha and Diana were both credited with breaking racial barriers with their music and Gladys was always under the radar though she was obviously in the same boat as Queen Ree and Miss Ross as far as reaching crossover success but was probably hoping Berry Gordy would take more time with her instead of "his girl" as they all called DR then.

Patti LaBelle admitted having issues with DR and other divas of the same stature [[the legendary brief feud with Dionne Warwick) but she also didn't act like she was above everyone and that's why Patti is seen with more humility than Gladys.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    As for Gladys, she showed jealousy at Aretha going on about how she gave Gladys the cold shoulder at an airport in 1969. She always brings up the incident like it recently happened. Gladys was always intimidated by the musical queens from Detroit.

Technically she was a step above them with her 1950s child star success at the Ted Mack show but Aretha and Diana were both credited with breaking racial barriers with their music and Gladys was always under the radar though she was obviously in the same boat as Queen Ree and Miss Ross as far as reaching crossover success but was probably hoping Berry Gordy would take more time with her instead of "his girl" as they all called DR then.

Patti LaBelle admitted having issues with DR and other divas of the same stature [[the legendary brief feud with Dionne Warwick) but she also didn't act like she was above everyone and that's why Patti is seen with more humility than Gladys.

Just saying.
    Im not a fan of Gladys Knight the person but love her voice and records and her CDS. Im never gonna buy another album or CD of hers again after she dissed global hero Colin Kaepernick who bravely took a knee to protest police brutality. Gladys also recorded Orrin Hatch song s putting money directly into his bank account. Homophobe and fellow Mormon Orrin Hatch defends Presidentb Pus*y Grabbers racist tweets and has made homophobic slurs. Ill never give Gladys Knight another dime. IMO shes pettey and real spiteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Im not a fan of Gladys Knight the person but love her voice and records and her CDS. Im never gonna buy another album or CD of hers again after she dissed global hero Colin Kaepernick who bravely took a knee to protest police brutality. Gladys also recorded Orrin Hatch song s putting money directly into his bank account. Homophobe and fellow Mormon Orrin Hatch defends Presidentb Pus*y Grabbers racist tweets and has made homophobic slurs. Ill never give Gladys Knight another dime. IMO shes pettey and real spiteful.
    Well put, Ms. Roberta. Gladys' several major issues as you have mentioned put me off her as well. Especially the Mormon connection, because of their virulent and active anti-LGBTQ+ agenda. It saddens me very much because I have a wonderful memory of seeing GK&tP at NY's Waldorf-Astoria Empire Room in the autumn of '73 with my mother and father, both long gone now. They attended as non-believers, were 'converted' to fans as soon as Gladys hit the stage singing 'How Can You Say That Ain't Love'. 'She's got it!' mom said, and dad agreed. Mom swooned at the version of 'Just In Time', and they both cheered, clapped in unison when Gladys asked, and talked about the show for AGES! They saw everyone from Judy Garland to Sinatra to Peggy Lee, Sarah, Ella, Louis ... but told everyone that GS&tP was one of the best shows they ever saw. You have a good weekend, my friend!

They did just announce that they will no longer support conversion therapy and a few Mormons have come out as gay so it's just starting to change. It does rub me the wrong way that for over 20 years, Gladys was a member [[along with her children minus Shanga) and was quiet about the mistreatment??? Gladys is and will forever be a legend and icon but she proves every legend is gonna have flaws.

Check out Aretha Franklin's facial expressions here. She was so wonderful.....LOL!

Was Mary's Pilgrim Chic look ever a fashion 'thing'?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Was Mary's Pilgrim Chic look ever a fashion 'thing'?
    What would this be?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Well put, Ms. Roberta. Gladys' several major issues as you have mentioned put me off her as well. Especially the Mormon connection, because of their virulent and active anti-LGBTQ+ agenda. It saddens me very much because I have a wonderful memory of seeing GK&tP at NY's Waldorf-Astoria Empire Room in the autumn of '73 with my mother and father, both long gone now. They attended as non-believers, were 'converted' to fans as soon as Gladys hit the stage singing 'How Can You Say That Ain't Love'. 'She's got it!' mom said, and dad agreed. Mom swooned at the version of 'Just In Time', and they both cheered, clapped in unison when Gladys asked, and talked about the show for AGES! They saw everyone from Judy Garland to Sinatra to Peggy Lee, Sarah, Ella, Louis ... but told everyone that GS&tP was one of the best shows they ever saw. You have a good weekend, my friend!
    Your family is so lucky to have seen them at The Waldorf. I would love to have seen their supper club act, but I did see them several times on various bills and latter day Motown Revues - where they always shined.

I wish Gladys wasn’t such a creep as I adore her voice, but her incessant whining, carping and bitching about 1967 [[ all the while insisting she doesn’t hold on to drama, negativity or bad thoughts towards anyone) makes her seem the Most hypocritical star in my personal firmament. For a long time, I chalked it up to the fact that because I’m at diana ross fan I was probably sensitive to the story and that Gladys didn’t have any ill intent with it no matter how many times it was brought up or how many times she made fun of Diana in her show. However, when she tried to steal Aretha’s cancer, then claims she never said that, then claimed that’s not what she meant, then claimed she was misquoted on purpose, then claimed that is what she meant but she meant it along time ago and was just referring to it now, I knew then that there was no excuse for her shadiness and she would literally do anything…… Anything to get print.

Still, I tried to hold on so that I would still be able to catch her show which I normally see once every year or two.

Today, however, I have washed my hands of her because of this story about the dressing rooms which I do not believe at all. Here she has been telling this same story since 1967 and not once has she mentioned the dressing rooms until now…… A day that she “remembers very clearly “…… And only chose to tell the story 52 years later??? Not her grapevined ass! I believe that the Supremes had starred dressing rooms and that Gladys may had to share with the band, that’s normal…… And I can assure you that Gladys night does not share her dressing room I believe that the Supremes had starred dressing rooms and that Gladys may had to share with the band, that’s normal…… And I can assure you that Gladys Knight does not share her dressing room with Support acts when she is on the road. I do not believe the story about the lounge at all. It’s a nice story, but I believe she’s just balls out lying like she was about the cancer.

If you are paying attention, you will notice that her version of the events Of being kicked off the show has also changed quite a bit And I do not believe you she could be standing on stage with a spotlight in her eye in a large venue in the round and see diana ross in the hallway. I do believe that Diana complained of Barry Gordy, and I do believe that he kicked her off the show, but if Barry Gordy didn’t think it was the right thing to do he wouldn’t have done it…… He would’ve told Diana to just make the best of it and get out there and work even harder and overtake her competition if that was her concern.

I’m really just disappointed that a woman with her talent and at her age could still have her psyche so oozing with yucky ick That she Hass to try to pull others down Where she clearly feels she is. It’s sad… I don’t think I can ever go see her again now - although I will hardly be missed… LOL ! Hehehehehe

I believe the tour she is referring to is the tour that Shelley Berger has referred to as "The tour from Hell". This was the one where infighting between Diana, Flo and Mary were all about to come to a head and led to Flo missing New Orleans forcing Diana and Mary to perform as a duo. I think maybe Gladys was just around Diana at a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I believe the tour she is referring to is the tour that Shelley Berger has referred to as "The tour from Hell". This was the one where infighting between Diana, Flo and Mary were all about to come to a head and led to Flo missing New Orleans forcing Diana and Mary to perform as a duo. I think maybe Gladys was just around Diana at a bad time.
    No that wasn't it. Here, Gladys Knight explains that Diana Ross was never friendly towards her regardless of what day it was. Check it out beginning at 12:25 in this video from last Fall:

Last edited by marv2; 09-29-2019 at 01:50 PM.

No that wasn't it. Here, Gladys Knight explains that Diana Ross was never friendly towards her regardless of what day it was. Check it out beginning at 12:25 in this video from last Fall:

Gladys seems ALMOST as obsessed with “Diane” Ross as you. Almost!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    The tour was fall 1967 and they were doing colleges and one nighters in the mid west. My cousin saw them at Penn State but by the time they got to Illinois state, the spinners were on the bill instead of Gladys.

I don’t know if this was a bad time for Diana or not, clearly she was so skinny at this point that she was worrisome looking in my opinion. The Supremes current single was in and out of love and it was released around the same time as grapevine And great fine became the gigantic yet but it while well in and out of love……well, didn’t. Gladys was closing with grapevine and my cousin told me how great they were. The Supremes were just beginning There new show opening with that I hear a Symphony medley - Hardly what kind of songs you wanna sing after Gladys Knight and the pips just tore the place apart vocally and visually with the raucous, fabulous grapevine. Personally, I do not blame diana ross at all for telling that to berry Gordy…… The Supremes were Motown‘s number one moneymaking act by far…… It is fair to say the money that Motown invested in Gladys Knight and the pips what is earned by The Supremes so, I see no problem with finding an appropriate opening act. This story is nothing new, ever since vaudeville, there has been an art to plotting out a shower so that each act complements the next…… Woody Allen even does a bit about it in the Oscar-winning film Annie Hall. Gladys trying to turn this into a poor me thing, is nauseating. Without the hard work and talent of diana ross mary wilson and Florence Ballard it’s quite likely berry Gordy would never have signed Gladys knight in the pips and she would still be playing the howard on a bill that reads ”6 Soul Acts 6” with a top ticket price of $2.25. In four years this poor dear would be playing the COPA instead of The Slaw House in Corporal, Kentucky.

I love how in is interview she’s talking about, excuse me bragging about, what a trailblazer she was and how all the other women at Motown look to her as their leader etc. etc. etc. what a crock of horseshit! This girl just gets more bold with her allies as the days flyby… Dot… You would think such a wonderful position of honor at Motown to be the queen of all the unsung females wouldn’t have made it into her book……

“A lie don’t care who tell it!”

I feel sorry for Gladys, for all she has, she is still consumed with petty jealousy and rage

Didn't Gladys say at the "Legends Ball" by Oprah Winfrey tht Diana and her had a chance to talk and mend any hard feelings? One of them made the statement that "we had to grow up." So if that took place what the heck is Gladys still going on about ?

Didn't Gladys say at the "Legends Ball" by Oprah Winfrey tht Diana and her had a chance to talk and mend any hard feelings? One of them made the statement that "we had to grow up." So if that took place what the heck is Gladys still going on about ?
    No, that was Patti LaBelle.
    Gladys wasn't at the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The tour was fall 1967 and they were doing colleges and one nighters in the mid west. My cousin saw them at Penn State but by the time they got to Illinois state, the spinners were on the bill instead of Gladys.

I don’t know if this was a bad time for Diana or not, clearly she was so skinny at this point that she was worrisome looking in my opinion. The Supremes current single was in and out of love and it was released around the same time as grapevine And great fine became the gigantic yet but it while well in and out of love……well, didn’t. Gladys was closing with grapevine and my cousin told me how great they were. The Supremes were just beginning There new show opening with that I hear a Symphony medley - Hardly what kind of songs you wanna sing after Gladys Knight and the pips just tore the place apart vocally and visually with the raucous, fabulous grapevine. Personally, I do not blame diana ross at all for telling that to berry Gordy…… The Supremes were Motown‘s number one moneymaking act by far…… It is fair to say the money that Motown invested in Gladys Knight and the pips what is earned by The Supremes so, I see no problem with finding an appropriate opening act. This story is nothing new, ever since vaudeville, there has been an art to plotting out a shower so that each act complements the next…… Woody Allen even does a bit about it in the Oscar-winning film Annie Hall. Gladys trying to turn this into a poor me thing, is nauseating. Without the hard work and talent of diana ross mary wilson and Florence Ballard it’s quite likely berry Gordy would never have signed Gladys knight in the pips and she would still be playing the howard on a bill that reads ”6 Soul Acts 6” with a top ticket price of $2.25. In four years this poor dear would be playing the COPA instead of The Slaw House in Corporal, Kentucky.

I love how in is interview she’s talking about, excuse me bragging about, what a trailblazer she was and how all the other women at Motown look to her as their leader etc. etc. etc. what a crock of horseshit! This girl just gets more bold with her allies as the days flyby… Dot… You would think such a wonderful position of honor at Motown to be the queen of all the unsung females wouldn’t have made it into her book……

“A lie don’t care who tell it!”

I feel sorry for Gladys, for all she has, she is still consumed with petty jealousy and rage
    Right. Putting GL&TP's as the opening act for the Supremes was like having Otis Redding opening for Johnny Mathis in a sense. Bad decision. I would've made the same decision if I was Diana!

I think most of the bitterness was in 1966-67. Things started to calm as GK started to settle as Motown was making her a headline name. She also carried a one sided feud with Marvin Gaye over Grapevine.

Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Your family is so lucky to have seen them at The Waldorf. I would love to have seen their supper club act, but I did see them several times on various bills and latter day Motown Revues - where they always shined.

I wish Gladys wasn’t such a creep as I adore her voice, but her incessant whining, carping and bitching about 1967 [[ all the while insisting she doesn’t hold on to drama, negativity or bad thoughts towards anyone) makes her seem the Most hypocritical star in my personal firmament. For a long time, I chalked it up to the fact that because I’m at diana ross fan I was probably sensitive to the story and that Gladys didn’t have any ill intent with it no matter how many times it was brought up or how many times she made fun of Diana in her show. However, when she tried to steal Aretha’s cancer, then claims she never said that, then claimed that’s not what she meant, then claimed she was misquoted on purpose, then claimed that is what she meant but she meant it along time ago and was just referring to it now, I knew then that there was no excuse for her shadiness and she would literally do anything…… Anything to get print.

Still, I tried to hold on so that I would still be able to catch her show which I normally see once every year or two.

Today, however, I have washed my hands of her because of this story about the dressing rooms which I do not believe at all. Here she has been telling this same story since 1967 and not once has she mentioned the dressing rooms until now…… A day that she “remembers very clearly “…… And only chose to tell the story 52 years later??? Not her grapevined ass! I believe that the Supremes had starred dressing rooms and that Gladys may had to share with the band, that’s normal…… And I can assure you that Gladys night does not share her dressing room I believe that the Supremes had starred dressing rooms and that Gladys may had to share with the band, that’s normal…… And I can assure you that Gladys Knight does not share her dressing room with Support acts when she is on the road. I do not believe the story about the lounge at all. It’s a nice story, but I believe she’s just balls out lying like she was about the cancer.

If you are paying attention, you will notice that her version of the events Of being kicked off the show has also changed quite a bit And I do not believe you she could be standing on stage with a spotlight in her eye in a large venue in the round and see diana ross in the hallway. I do believe that Diana complained of Barry Gordy, and I do believe that he kicked her off the show, but if Barry Gordy didn’t think it was the right thing to do he wouldn’t have done it…… He would’ve told Diana to just make the best of it and get out there and work even harder and overtake her competition if that was her concern.

I’m really just disappointed that a woman with her talent and at her age could still have her psyche so oozing with yucky ick That she Hass to try to pull others down Where she clearly feels she is. It’s sad… I don’t think I can ever go see her again now - although I will hardly be missed… LOL ! Hehehehehe
    Gladys stole the dressing room story from Martha Reeves. SMH

Yes I remember Gladys Knight making this statement in an interview. About having to grow up. I don’t think it was at the legends ball though

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Right. Putting GL&TP's as the opening act for the Supremes was like having Otis Redding opening for Johnny Mathis in a sense. Bad decision. I would've made the same decision if I was Diana!
    Totally agree. What a bloody daft decision.
    Being a fan of Gladys, i was really quite saddened to watch her impersonation of Diana at this stage in he career. I mean.......really!!. Gladys Knight is a mega talent, but she really needs to move on. She should be better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Yes I remember Gladys Knight making this statement in an interview. About having to grow up. I don’t think it was at the legends ball though
    During an interview with Sway on SiriusXM, Gladys mentioned the incident and then said that she and Diana talked about it later and Diana said "We all had to grow up." In that interview, Gladys didn't mention where the conversation took place. But when she related the incident on ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, I think she did reference the Legends Ball but I'm not sure.

I’m glad that Diana said “WE” all had to grow up. That means there was foolishness on both sides .

They were a bunch of fricken kids and quite a few of them were finding out about sex, booze, and drugs - none of this is a big revelation I don’t think

What is surprising is that the odd legend and a few posters grovel in the dirt - Martha doesn’t; not Stevie Smokey Berry Diana louvain Claudette; generally not even Mary

ok so I remember this discussion taken place but not at the same place I thought. Obviously, Gladys never grew up and a few other people on here and at Motown.

Check out Aretha Franklin's facial expressions here. She was so wonderful.....LOL!

Aretha was always great. How nice to see the Queen pay tribute to Motown's Queen. They always showed each other the utmost respect.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Aretha was always great. How nice to see the Queen pay tribute to Motown's Queen. They always showed each other the utmost respect.
    She was paying tribute to Smokey Robinson at the Kennedy Center Honors.

I'm so over Gladys Knight. Over the last year I have really had my eyes opened to what lurks beneath. I'm in no mood to rehash my disdain for her attitude regarding the national anthem controversy, but that's what pushed me over the edge. For me, a huge fan of Gladys, she can never come back from that.

In regards to this Diana thing, I defended her in a previous thread when people were coming for Gladys' neck when someone posted an interview Gladys did where she talked about Diana. I've seen quite a few Gladys interviews and rarely did I ever hear her address anything about Diana Ross, so I was taken aback by comments that suggested Gladys is always talking about Diana. While I still think Gladys is asked a question and not necessarily volunteering anything first, it's clear that this woman is all over the place with whatever she feels for Diana and that she hasn't moved on. That clip of Gladys mocking Diana makes her look stupid. The whole skit reeks of an old bitter woman doing the only thing she can think to do to get back at another woman for something that may or may not have happened when they were barely adults. Gladys reminds me of one of those women that is always running off at the mouth but if another woman stepped to her she'd back down and shut the hell up.

The story of Gladys being kicked off the tour has clearly changed details a number of times. So which version are we supposed to believe? And she can take that "all the girls at Motown came to me for advice" crap and shove it. By the time Gladys and the guys got to Motown, the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, even the Marvelettes, were all seasoned vets. Half the ladies were as old as Gladys or older. What the hell were they coming to her to talk about? And if this is the case, how come this is the first we've heard about it? Unless I missed the dozens of quotes from old time Motowners about how much of a help Gladys was to the ladies.

And how much bigger did Gladys want to be at Motown? In the interview with Mica, she frames it like Gordy's focus on Diana somehow maligned Gladys. Where? I'd have to look at Gladys Knight and the Pips' chart history during the late 60s and early 70s again, but I'm willing to bet that song for song, Gladys had more hits than DRATS and Diana solo up until Gladys left the label. So what's the real gripe? I get the money issue because everybody had an issue with the money, but what else did Gladys want Gordy's attention to? Clearly somebody at the label was paying attention because Gladys and the Pips were one of the biggest acts at the label during their tenure.

She tries for this "I'm all about positivity" persona, but clearly she on some other type shit. She sounds bitter. And while I'll never stop listening to classic Gladys, hearing her name now just makes me cringe.

No that was Patti Labelle, but even that was a weird story to me. Patti told Oprah that at the ball, Patti and Diana were seated near one another and that it was the first time the two had spoken in years because of rumor mongers. But there was no mention of how close they apparently were in 2001 [[or was it 2002?) when they both participated in something and they were photographed sitting together and holding hands. I read one article that mentioned that Patti was supposed to be in one room but she was running her mouth in another room and it was Diana who came and got Patti and ushered her to where she was supposed to be. But then Patti is framing it as if the feud continued from the 60s to the Legends Ball without any mention of whatever was going on in 2001 or 2002. Strange.

She was paying tribute to Smokey Robinson at the Kennedy Center Honors.
    Her speech was in tribute to Smokey. When she mentions that everyone in her neighborhood loved music and that Diana lived there too and began to sing Diana's [[and the Supremes') song, that's what I was referring to as tribute, the same as if she had mentioned any other woman singer in a positive manner and sang her song.

I'm so over Gladys Knight. Over the last year I have really had my eyes opened to what lurks beneath. I'm in no mood to rehash my disdain for her attitude regarding the national anthem controversy, but that's what pushed me over the edge. For me, a huge fan of Gladys, she can never come back from that.

In regards to this Diana thing, I defended her in a previous thread when people were coming for Gladys' neck when someone posted an interview Gladys did where she talked about Diana. I've seen quite a few Gladys interviews and rarely did I ever hear her address anything about Diana Ross, so I was taken aback by comments that suggested Gladys is always talking about Diana. While I still think Gladys is asked a question and not necessarily volunteering anything first, it's clear that this woman is all over the place with whatever she feels for Diana and that she hasn't moved on. That clip of Gladys mocking Diana makes her look stupid. The whole skit reeks of an old bitter woman doing the only thing she can think to do to get back at another woman for something that may or may not have happened when they were barely adults. Gladys reminds me of one of those women that is always running off at the mouth but if another woman stepped to her she'd back down and shut the hell up.

The story of Gladys being kicked off the tour has clearly changed details a number of times. So which version are we supposed to believe? And she can take that "all the girls at Motown came to me for advice" crap and shove it. By the time Gladys and the guys got to Motown, the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, even the Marvelettes, were all seasoned vets. Half the ladies were as old as Gladys or older. What the hell were they coming to her to talk about? And if this is the case, how come this is the first we've heard about it? Unless I missed the dozens of quotes from old time Motowners about how much of a help Gladys was to the ladies.

And how much bigger did Gladys want to be at Motown? In the interview with Mica, she frames it like Gordy's focus on Diana somehow maligned Gladys. Where? I'd have to look at Gladys Knight and the Pips' chart history during the late 60s and early 70s again, but I'm willing to bet that song for song, Gladys had more hits than DRATS and Diana solo up until Gladys left the label. So what's the real gripe? I get the money issue because everybody had an issue with the money, but what else did Gladys want Gordy's attention to? Clearly somebody at the label was paying attention because Gladys and the Pips were one of the biggest acts at the label during their tenure.

She tries for this "I'm all about positivity" persona, but clearly she on some other type shit. She sounds bitter. And while I'll never stop listening to classic Gladys, hearing her name now just makes me cringe.
    Preach RanRan79. I couldnt agree more.

Fondly,

Roberta

I couldn’t have said this any better. I have all of Gladys Knights records and CDs. I love her music. But I just don’t feel the same about her anymore.

No that was Patti Labelle, but even that was a weird story to me. Patti told Oprah that at the ball, Patti and Diana were seated near one another and that it was the first time the two had spoken in years because of rumor mongers. But there was no mention of how close they apparently were in 2001 [[or was it 2002?) when they both participated in something and they were photographed sitting together and holding hands. I read one article that mentioned that Patti was supposed to be in one room but she was running her mouth in another room and it was Diana who came and got Patti and ushered her to where she was supposed to be. But then Patti is framing it as if the feud continued from the 60s to the Legends Ball without any mention of whatever was going on in 2001 or 2002. Strange.
    I think some of these women take one incident and it spreads into decades long feuds. Plus Patti paid tribute to Diana in 1995.

My favorite quotes from Gladys had to do with her saying how she and the Pips were given "second string" Motown songs. Most of that was true to an extent but lost in that quote was GK&TP's had an independent streak.

Bubba Knight said they had a better contract than what most of the more "homemade" acts were getting at the time through their former managers. Another thing that separated them was Motown gave them carte blanche...to a certain extent. After their debut single came out in 1966, they told Berry not to have the Andantes overshadowing them and Berry agree to take them out.

Gladys would claim this is why Motown "didn't give them proper promotion". But judging on how they were received after "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" blew up and became the best selling Motown single in history [[before Marvin's iconic version of course), I doubt this. They went on a very successful streak from 1967 until 1973 while at Motown. They got on the shows most crossover artists got. They were probably, in terms of singles, the third most popular act on the label. That's a MAJOR accomplishment.

The Motown acclaim made them legendary, which their Buddah material cemented. Without Motown, few would've known who Gladys was. Both the Supremes AND Diana STRUGGLED with their music after GK&TP's became superstars there.

Gladys Knight was at the Oprah Legends ball and she did have the conversation with Diana at the ball. I agree. Why is Gladys still talking about the past issues she thinks she had with Diana if they made up. Envy is an ugly thing.
    L

Patti is another one who lies a lot or she's just delusional. She talked about having issues with Diana but yet,she saluted Diana by singing her songs inducting her into the 1995 soul train awards hall of fame and she sang with Diana on the 01 song we are family and was holding hands and praying together in a clip I saw on YouTube. Yet, Patti claims she had not spoken to Diana in years before the 2006 legends ball. Such a liar. You cant deny the truth. The proof are the videos on YouTube. Anyone can see those clips and see the truth.